What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Russet mites/Board mites

Selfmad313

Hello I been growing quite a why not a novice but can always use more experience. I my last couple have been really shitty, my clones weren't popping nothing was going like it was suppose to.
I finally figured it by buying a 60x micro scope..I have had Russet mites the relieve is that now I know what my problem is now how to fix it... well I have 4 grow rooms going 2 in flower and the rest in veggy... I'm cutting everything down..
But now how to clean the rooms are the eggs dormant how to i address this problem any experience growers here...
HELP!!!!!

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
This is a good read.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=227293&styleid=111

When I had to them I caught it early. They were only in veg and on my moms. I used forbid4f and avid. It got rid of them on the first application of forbid4f, but still used the avid 3 days later. Then forbid again, 3 days after that.

I also sprayed down the entire area (walls, lamp hoods, floor, anything in the space) with straight 91% ISO (rubbing alcohol). I sprayed every time I treated the plants.

Selfmad313

How long have you been mite free I'm wondering so I need to spray the whole house....I'm going to buy a jet fogger and try dog everything..

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I’ve been mite free for 10 months. It definitely couldn’t hurt to do the whole house. With these things, you gotta pull out all the stops and don’t skip out on anything. The more overboard, the safer.

Selfmad313

think I would able to yield the crop I have in flowering it looks awesome I sprayed them with whipe... There in 4 week of flower it's the best crop I had in a while. I'm just hoping I can atleast save it.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've tried the no pest strip, but it was over 20 years ago. Now I just use water dips if I get mites in flowering. No pest strip works, but you have to seal the room and put a circulating fan on the strip to make sure the nerve gas or whatever it is gets distributed. Problem is, to get it to work is a high dose, and it will leave a residue. I wouldn't use it on flowering plants at all, only in veg if ever.

I'd recommend learning to water dip. It's very effective and totally 'organic', but you have to keep dipping once a week or so 'till harvest because straight water doesn't knock off the eggs too well. You can also double dip, once in a soap and/or neem solution then water. Double dipping takes twice as long, but it gets the eggs and can even wipe the mites right out if you follow up with a second hit in 3-5 days.

Even big plants up to and beyond 5 gallon containers can be dipped with two people. Use a 'trough' container for the water like a big cooler or rubber maid, or even a bathtub. One person holds the plants pot and lowers the plant to about horizontal above the trough while the other person shampoo's and pushes the branches under water. Take your time and be sure to smile, the mites are having a very bad day.

Mengsk

Ok simple, no big deal. Really. It takes some time and effort but you can get rid of them. We are not talking about a field of plants here. If that were the case (you or I had a field/farm of cannabis with all mite infestation) then no, probably not going to get rid of them easily. But for your indoor grow that you can micromanage, yes absolutely. Horticultural oil like bee safe 3 in 1 or whatever stylet oil etc garden soap that sort of thing kills aphids and mites. Mechanical defoliation is not necessary for every garden but it serves a multi-purpose when there's mites involved. Remove all infected leaves (sometimes only leaving the growing tips really) and drench the whole plant and soil some with weakly dilute solution of 3 in 1 or the like. Repeat a few times for a few days. If you can do that and sweep/mop the floor or sterilize the grow room with h2o2, iso, soap and water, etc, you can hopefully rid them before flower onset and won't have to worry about them coming back at least until next grow.

superjet

Can't believe people are still recommending Avid and Forbid in this day and age.
yep, and it was the best and easiest thing I ever did. I got the hemp russet mite from an incoming clone. I tossed everything but the SFVOG and GLUE moms, one each. I sprayed both moms with avid 5ml per 2gal RO water in a homedepot 2gal sprayer outside in the rocks on the side of my house 3 times once every 3 days. done deal! I use azamax 5ml per gal as a drench everytime I feed or water my plants (in veg only!!) I took clones from the moms I hit with avid and made new moms and then took clones from them before anything went into flower. so what's the beef! I keep my moms up in the master bedroom with me :) so I tossed all linen and pillows and cleaned all surfaces with a 10% chlorine to water mix on almost all surfaces and haven't seen anything dead or alive in months! oh yeah, and I haven't seen a goddamn fungus gnat in months either. azamax IS the shit in veg, no spraying, just a teaspoon per gallon EVERYTIME when you feed or water. :biggrin:

superjet

picture.php

Mengsk

I am using this Organocide Bee Safe for all mites. It is an environmental control issue, in common with 8-9 out of 10 bullet points from likely any mite fact sheet. I want to say any soap or oil is enough to disrupt the life cycle. The same is true for sterilizing all grow room surfaces and using an air intake filter to prevent contamination in the first place. That isn't the same as relying on a chemical or breeding chemical resistant mites while ignoring environmental control. Treating vs not treating, with warm/hot soapy water and/or Bee Safe + yucca, coco wet etc, and the frequency, has a larger effect than which product is being used.

Attachments

• mites.jpg
    mites.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 25