What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Newb Returns

yardgrazer

So, hopefully this thread will become thread-worthy over time, not sure my measly little garden merits a thread of its own, and yet here we are.

Anyway, I used to grow, but gave it up a little more than 10 years ago. I was always growing for my own consumption, so nothing fancy or all that impressive. I have put a few plants out on my property from time to time, but more often than not those came to naught, because I'm in a damp cool environment from late summer through fall, with lots of fog - great environment for mold and slugs, not so good for cannabis.

This year I was facing the prospect of small scale growing being legal, so I started some really old seeds, a few remaining RM's Romulan F1s I had in the jar, and F2s I made from the F1's container-mates a decade or so back Stupidly I didn't keep track of which plants came from the F1s, and which came from the F2s... but really this was all meant to be a dry run to get back into growing again, so mistakes were bound to be made.

And believe me, mistakes were made - the upside being the handful of females I ended up with are a manageable size - the downside being they aren't monsters. But hey, they're plants. Vegged under a fairly old MH fixture, decided to give CMH a try for flower. It's for my own consumption and I can always buy, so not too concerned about yield.

So, today was 2 weeks into flower. Photos are of the two distinct phenos I have - one looking pretty Indicaish, the other Sativa. I'll have to try to get better photos outside on the next sunny day.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

yardgrazer

Well, it turns out I'm also not that good at taking photos, although TBF it was a little windy outside and I had to sneak in a shot or two when it stopped blowing for a second. Trying to let the girls outside any day when we get decent sun - can turn off the lamp for a bit, and they get to soak up that sweet natural UV.

Anyway, the one photo that came even close to looking good. I need to work on a less busy backdrop.

Oh, did want to say when I said they entered flower on 9/1, I meant I switched over to 12/12 on 9/1. I did do one round of defoliation around FD9.

T

Teddybrae

Hello! your plants look good! how did you manage to stay away so long?

yardgrazer

Thanks! Unfortunately I overferted them yesterday, particularly the Sativa. Damn that's a finicky plant. I imagine they'll recover, I'll flush for the next watering.

How did I stay away from ICM? Or Growing? I suppose the answer to both is life interceded (in a good way thankfully) and it seemed neither prudent nor time efficient to spend a lot of time on either. As to coming back after a good decade away, I finally have a spot I can control, where I'm not going to move so it's worth putting some effort into dialing things in. And once I'm back into hobby growing, what's more fun than going on a forum with other people who do the same thing?

Cultivation is legal where I live, eventually I imagine I might meet other people who grow IRL. Until then, I like the anonymity of the web.

yardgrazer

Wanted to be sure to post a quick update. Now at 22 days of 12/12.

Obviously the first shot is the Sativa looking plant, and the other two are a close-up and whole-plant shot of the Indica looking plant.

There are actually two more, one Sativa looking and one Indica. The other Sativa-y one looks fairly different, thinking back on it I actually pulled seeds from three places, the mailer pack the F1s came in, a bag full of F2s, and a bag that was marked "BS" (bagseed) but which I thought was likely all cast-off Romulan F2s I had missed previously. Now I'm not sure. The other two plants are further behind the ones pictured here.

yardgrazer

Yikes, I was already worried about low temperatures, particularly at night, and the really high humidity we're always facing this time of year, but now I'm super-freakin' out what with the (basically brand new) CMH lamp suddenly going on the fritz. Hopefully the long dark period last night won't mess things up too badly. It'll be what it'll be I guess.

yardgrazer

Meh, I think everything might be ok, fiddled with the CMH and it seems to be working... maybe I'll see if there's anyway I can string both lamps (there are conveniently 4 super strong hooks in the ceiling rafters), so I can have the MH at the ready should I run into more issues with the CMH.

yardgrazer

As it happens, I was wrong. I came back later in the day to the CMH out again. Not good, obviously, but nothing to be done, so I'm soldiering on. Rehung my old MH fixture and will use that until I can make sure the CMH is definitely 100% with no chance of a repeat.

The photo below makes the plants look way more impressive than they are. Note the edge of the pedestal fan in the background. I flipped to 12/12 on Sept 1, so... I'm gonna call this FD28.

Should have taken photos yesterday when the sun was out, but no, and now it's raining raining raining. Maybe tomorrow.

picture.php

Last edited:

yardgrazer

Just thought this was a funny little runt of a plant. Was runty from the get go, just stuck it outside to see what might happen.

yardgrazer

Gah, well, in the midst of everything I realized the timer I had been using had apparently stopped working, fairly certain there was at least one 24 hour on period during flowering. Resulted in 'nanas on the largest sativaish looking plant. Worse, that was on the of the plants closest to the fan I have set up in that room.

Shame to kill the plant, so I put it outside in a secluded spot where it'll hopefully not do any harm. Nothing to be done about it at this point anyway, chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

Speaking of learning experiences, that runty little plant with the purpling, one of the Indica looking plants is its sib apparently. Makes me wonder how careful I was about keeping track of which seedlings were which. Hey, another learning opportunity!

Well, I'm an idiot. Next year I'll do better. Hard not to with all the learning opportunities I keep stumbling upon!

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Mistakes make for the most memorable lessons. Maybe it will finish into to something usable outside.

yardgrazer

It's for my own use, and I can always buy if need be, so it's not a huge deal, but I will hold onto the hope that I end up with something useful.

In the meantime, I didn't like any of the wider shot photos I took today, so I'll throw up two macro shots that came out sorta ok. One is of the larger purple, and one of its sib.

yardgrazer

They aren't great pics, but I did grab photos of each of the plants I shot in earlier weeks, now at 5 weeks of flowering...

yardgrazer

A few photos for an update at 42 days of 12/12.

Been wet the last few days, threw up a temporary shelter for the outside plants (probably overreacted on the second narrow leaf, but whatever, thought I saw a male flower, might've been a seed). Gonna get cold too, here and there, hoping the temporary shelter will be enough to carry through a night here and there approaching the mid 30s. Definitely a mistake to have waited until September 1st to start flowering, I'll keep that in mind for next year. Even mid August would've made things a bit simpler.

For the remaining indoor plants, I'm leaving 'em inside at this point. They aren't that big or anything, definitely under 3 feet tall, but it's simpler to leave them in place at this point.

Hoping the two indoor plants will be done in 2 weeks or so. At the beginning the green broad leaf and the hermed narrow leaf seemed to be about a week ahead, interested to see if that will continue to be the case.

(Photos: Hermed outdoor, Green Broadleaf, Close up of Green BL, Purple BL).

yardgrazer

I smelled the purple broadleaf a few weeks ago and it was intensely grapey... kinda expecting the waxy grape flavor on that one. Today I rubbed the narrow leaf and it was kinda generically sweet. Couldn't pin down any particular scent beyond sweet. I feel like in the past it had more of the stinky diaper smell I associate with Romulan. The other narrow leaf plant was more lemon and pine, but when disturbed it's kinda skunky. Found some suspect looking leaves on the latter and got bogged down removing flowers that would never come to much and leaves that impeded air circulation, or generally seemed like they weren't going to ever get much light.

yardgrazer

49 days, no sign of a significant shift toward amber trichs yet, definitely some swelling. Hoping that there may be a change in the green plant by next Friday, even though I know full well it's likely to stretch out a bit longer. Hard to tell in the photo (on the right) that those buds have a fair amount of purpling going on.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited: