What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Between Sun and Moon HPS/LED comparison grow.

hazy

Veteran
Growing somewhere Between Sun and Moon

I got this new 205 watt light from LEDgirl. I'm running it next to my 400 hps. There's a piece of corian dividing the closet into two equal spaces. There is a gap the width of the outlet cover where the corian leans against on the back wall. there is a 3" gap at the bottom and a 3 1/2" gap at the top for air flow. Intake's on one side, air goes past the 400 side and to the LED side then out the top above the LED light. Each is 28"x28". I cleaned the space and gave it a coat of flat white paint.

I have two Sugar Shacks pretty much equal in shape and size the same age, two Sour Diesels about the same in shape and size the same age, and two Chem4s the same age size and shape. Below are pics of everything. I will be putting in a few more plants as I am able, but the comparison is really about these three pairs.

The light looks pink in the pics, but in person it doesn't really. Still creates a festive atmosphere like a gay disco light. :dancer::party: :clover:
I named this thread after a Rush song. Seemed appropriate with the bright HPS and the not as bright LED. Here's a link to a page with Rush doingBetween Sun and Moon live on a you-tube video. Open it in a new window and play it while you check out the pics.

There is a lake between sun and moon
Not too many know about
In the silence between whisper and shout
The space between wonder and doubt

This is a fine place
Shining face to face
Those bonfire lights in the mirror of sky
The space between wonder and why

Ahh, yes to yes to ahh, ahh to yes
Why the sun?
Why the sun?

There is a fine line between love and illusion
A fine place to penetrate
The gap between actor and act
The lens between wishes and fact

This is a fine place
To hesitate
Those bonfire lights in the lake of sky
The time between wonder and why

Why the sun?
Why the sun?

Some need to pray to the sun at high noon
Need to howl at the midwinter moon
Reborn and baptized in a moment of grace
We just need a break
From the headlong race

This is a fine place
Shining face to face
Those bonfire lights in the mirrored sky
The space between wonder and why

Why the sun?
Why the sun?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LEds

Time for some paint

All painted

The floor too

The divider, a piece of corian

The left side (400 side)

The right side (LED side)

Both sides

The left side with plants light out

Left side lights on

The right side lights out

Right side lights on

Two Sour Diesel IBL

Two Sugar Shack

Two Chem4

That's all for now.

Oh btw, Tonight will be the start of 12/12 for them.

Last edited:

LEDGirl

Veteran
I like the comparison area you built, very clean ;) Also, great job on picking plants that are so close in size and shape. This should be a great show for everyone to enjoy.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Good one Hazy. Nice title man....between sun and moon. Great strains, this should be a good comparative grow. Lookin forward to it, thanks.

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
Whats up Hazy...looking forward to seeing this grow! Very nice and clean setup too :)

WizeWizo

Shit yeah!! Been waitin for all the LED grows to get kicked off. Should be super exciting around these parts for the next couple of months. Hope you manage to swing by my journal as well. I am runnin the HGL 205w against the PS 180w Jumbo. Best of luck with the comparison grow mate. Lets hope these LED's rock it! Peace

outame 2

got ya tagged..going to be a fun grow for you.Mine is about done,I need to get a less leggy strain.Thanks for the link for Rush,I have a complete collection of Rush on CD,and the R30 set.I actually saw them in KC at the old Kemper arena in the early 80's.great show.I was so baked by the end I had to sit in the truck for an hour and come down before trying the drive home.

La Villa Strangiato on the speakers now...

SirSmokalot

My Zips Be So Fluffy The Whole Town Love Me
Veteran
He'll yeah. U know imma be up in here wih u.
Looks nice n clean brother.

Ps. Ur cuts are lookin great. I will put in coco and should root it this week

opt1c

Veteran
jumping on the train before it pulls too far away from the station

my rockwool is soaking for the cuts that'll go under my led soon... hard to keep hydro on tap if it's not coco ;)

MediScrogs

Gonna be big fun on the bayou.

btw, hazy, What brand of hps are you using, is it a plain-janer bulb or one of the enhanced ones?

I know you're just getting things set up, we'll look forward to the details and whytofores of everything as you get things rolling.

Hazy, have fun bud, thanks for doing this thread. Fun, fun, for everyone.
:groupwave:

hazy

Veteran
Thanks for all the great responses guys. Quite a buzz of interest about these lights.

Nice to see my old friends and eager to see lots of new ones too.

I would like to give Cammie from Hydro-Grow-LED a big round of applause for doing these promotions. And not just because I got a free light out of it. These grows will show what's up for good or bad and there's a gamble there that she's willing to take. I assume because she believes that the lights will perform well. So far so good for me these first few days.

It's nice to see the feedback all positive and that I haven't (yet) had the trolling that drove me away from a few earlier LED threads. To be honest, some of those grows were flawed. That's all that will be said in this thread concerning ANY past LED grows that ANYONE believes were not up to par. This is going to be what it is. What you will see. If good buds can be got from this light I will get them.
I'll bring pics of details like bud closeups in natural light so you can see the difference, if any, of buds grown Between Sun and Moon.

Seriously, the theme song is in the sig, mandatory listening while browsing the thread. Any Rush will do though. ;)

I'll be training the plants a little more but only this first week or two. Mainly the SD because it can get a little unruly.

I potted up the Chem4s into 2 gallon pots, though they were not pot bound at all. I don't know if it will make difference in growth with them being flipped already. They look great though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW a few facts about the grow.

• Medium~ Coco and Perlite
  • Nutrients~ GH hardwater micro and bloom. I use a modified lucas formula. My own mod. I was using the Rez/GH mod of 6/9 but have upped it to 7.5 ml micro and 12 ml bloom. I also add 2.5 ml of Mag-Amped from Cutting Edge Solutions. Also 5-10 ml of CES Uncle John's Blend, which is Potassium.
    I don't add calcium. I do use tapwater.

• Lights~ 205 watt led from Hydro-Grow
    400 watt hps basic plain jane bulb

• Grow space~ The chambers are 28" x 28". Actually 29" at the part in front of the door. 4" high.
  • Strains~
  • Sour Diesel
  • Sugar Shack
  • Chem4
  • *C99
  • *GAK
---------
I'll update this list if I think of anything else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited: