What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HomemadePerpetualSOGcab....

TemptedSoul

I actually have three ballasts wired up to one plug! Which means that I have two plugs to plug in for all six ballasts! Two plugs go into a powerstrip mounted in the airbox section of the cabinet.
AIRBOX AND WIRING:
154968-25-08_010.jpg

154968-25-08_012.jpg

The wiring is all pretty basic, just make sure you use heavier than necessary guage wire and tight connections so there wont be any resistance heat!
You can see the stanley blower built into it, one side drawing on the veg side of the cab and the other drawing on the flower chamber. The protuding side of the blower is through the top of the veg chamber(pointed downward) and the rest of the blower creates a vacuum in the airbox/wiring chamber. Air is pulled into this chamber through a homemade carbon scrubber in the flower chamber. The blower output is joined to a 6-inch flange aimed through the back of the cab. I was going to add a duct to pump the blower output into the attic, but after firing it up(the cab) I realized that the heat was'nt bad at all! No need!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Thats fucking sweet bro! how do you have 6 bulbs running off 3 ballasts??? I'm sure I'm not the only guy wondering ...

jdog12

blackfoot said:
Thanks for the info, That's what has been keeping me from ordering some small HID lights I'll order some now. Now I need to find a cheap squirrel cage fan of some sort. peace :wave:

You still going to go with the 150 watt vapor tights from e-conolight? If so, PLEASE let us know how hard it is to remote ballast that particular model... pics or a step by step would be a plus. I have just started reading up on those and they seem like the cheapest HID solution for a micro grow by far. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in those, and I'm sure some people are driven away by the fear of having to wire them up.

jdog12

jdog12 said:
You still going to go with the 150 watt vapor tights from e-conolight? If so, PLEASE let us know how hard it is to remote ballast that particular model... pics or a step by step would be a plus. I have just started reading up on those and they seem like the cheapest HID solution for a micro grow by far. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in those, and I'm sure some people are driven away by the fear of having to wire them up.

Well, I read in http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=36344 about converting a security light in to a remote ballast. Anyways, halfway through the thread, ReeferDan posts pictures on how he modded his Vapor Tight fixtures. Seems it's easier than I would have thought,

Two remote ballasts sitting outside, seems he just took apart the socket from the housing and extended them...
20677IMG_0456.JPG

and here's a pic of the inside
20677IMG_0459.JPG

If you do end up getting those vapor tights though, let us know how hard it was to take them apart.

astartes

Took me about 15 mins to remote out a 150w vapor tight security light. And I am FAR from an electrical guru. It really is as easy as unscrewing two screws and extending 5 wires (2 positive, 2 negative and 1 ground). Just make sure you're using a heavy duty (and grounded) cord for extending.

astartes

jdog12

astartes said:
Took me about 15 mins to remote out a 150w vapor tight security light. And I am FAR from an electrical guru. It really is as easy as unscrewing two screws and extending 5 wires (2 positive, 2 negative and 1 ground). Just make sure you're using a heavy duty (and grounded) cord for extending.

astartes
Well then it seems to be the cheapest AND easiest HPS solution for those with Micro in mind. Good to hear man, hope this gets lots of people interested.

mAKo BuDz

Thats a really sweet cabinet you got there champ :bow:, im going to build my first cab soon, i like the look of yours and was thinking it was pretty close to what i had in mind, especially the neat out of the way power setup, fiberglass/gelcoat tray and res, if its not to much trouble can you please post some pics of the power setup (behind the wall, timers, ect), and a pic or two from behind your cab if possible, whats the size of each room in your cab, Thanks m8, keep up the awesome job..:yes:

InPotiTrust

blackfoot Your gona have to run a capacitor on those cause of the power they draw when u use more than one at the same time.

TemptedSoul

Heavy Duty timer defineately(sp). Capacitor wha....? Fill me in! I have 6 70's, 370 watts of cfl, 2 fans, a blower motor, air pump and 3 submersibles through 2 power strips with a heavy duty cord on the whole thing(10ga). This plugs into an outlet thats on the same circuit as my 12,500 btu a/c. Its a 30 amp circuit and it does fine.
Thx for takin up my slack people! I will try to post more often!
I have private messages that I cant answer because I dont have enough posts yet! I'll answer them as soon as it will let me.

Had a visitor in the budbox the other day:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Thats interesting Blackfoot but seems like a lot of shit to go through for a HID setup I think I'll stick to CFL's... I have been thinking of a 250wHPS or 2 150w CMH