What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

best breeds of dogs to have living with cats

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi,,
Any advice much appreciated,,,,
We are going to get a dog in the near future and i had set my heart on a minature English Bull terrier but since we have three cats it looks like a no,no,,,,,
i always thought that if a puppy is brought up at 9/10 weeks old with cats then they should be ok but apparantly not!,,,,,
Been told that all terriers could have a problem with cats!,,,,,
so it leaves breeds like the shiba inu,,labradors,,golden retrievers,,daschunds,,,,pugs,,basset hounds that are "ok" with cats,,
my wife loves the smaller dogs but i would like a dog that is protective etc so kinda leaves us with the shiba inu or boxer,,,,,s2:tiphat:

Cannavore

Veteran
depends on the dogs temperment. if the dog has a high prey drive and is more "game" than other dogs, yeah it's probably not not gonna work.

go to a shelter, pick out a couple candidates you'd consider adopting, come back with your cats and see how they get along before jumping right into things.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Terriers and cats don't mix, bull terrier even lees so

Collies are good, never had a problem with them and cats

But follow the advice and go to shelter, they may well have a dog who's already used to cats .... your cats will come around if the dogs cool

B

Baron Greenback

We have a husky x Rottweiler, she is a "proper" dog. She will attempt to kill absolutely anything she sees that is not part of her pack. We have 8 cats too, the worst she ever does is growl at them a bit when they are near her food.
If you spend the time to train your dog, you should be ok. Ours is a wonderful dog, utterly loyal and occasionally obedient :) She knows what her pack is made up of and will eventually accept new members. We have introduced 1 or 2 more cats since she has been an adult dog; we kept them apart for a few days, then introduced them slowly, us holding the cat and then after about 10 days, she was fine.

Wendull C.

Veteran
I have met mountain lion and bear hunting hounds that won't go after mama's pet kitty. Point being if you have it from a young pup any breed should be fine.

I have had alot of dogs and cats never had a problem. My pit bull loved cats especially.

Green Squall

When I brought home my 4 month old lab/shephered/hound puppy from the shelter he kept trying to play with the cats. One day my fat, mean orange tabby viciously attacked him lol. That cat was cool but DID NOT like being messed with. After that the dog lost all interest in the cats.

Like Wendell said, it you have it from a pup all should be find. Just to be safe though I would avoid any kind of terrier since they were bred to hunt small animals. My friends soft coated wheaten terrier killed the neighbors cat a while back.

R

Rox

My 2 Staffordshire bull terriers lived with 7 cats and a rabbit

Never had an issue

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I have met mountain lion and bear hunting hounds that won't go after mama's pet kitty. Point being if you have it from a young pup any breed should be fine.

I have had alot of dogs and cats never had a problem. My pit bull loved cats especially.

my Plott hound will chase our cats here in the house, but it is just for fun. they will walk by her swishing their tail until she snaps & runs after them. 2 minutes later they walk up & rub against her legs & all is cool. outside, she ignores our cats but will put any strange cat up a tree in a split second. i guess they got hobbies too...i mean, besides licking their butts.:biggrin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i wouldn't go with weenie dogs, i have seen several that were hell on cats. most labs & chesapeake bay retrievers are good with them unless you point & holler "FETCH!" :)

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for all the replys,,,,
it looks like a French Bulldog could be a good bet,,,,
lots of positives re the cats and overall behaviour,,,,,s2

Green Squall

Cool little dogs. They are extremely heat sensitive so be careful in the summer in you decide to get one. A beagle might be a good choice too. Personally, I like larger dogs. You can't go wrong with a golden retriever. They are one of the kindest, gentlest breeds IMO, but are also capable of defending it's family.

R

Rox

They are expensive aren't they? I know a couple of people that paid £50k for one with light eyes and a kind of rottweiler markings:laughing:

I think any dog breed you choose will be fine providing you get it as a pup, I've found feeding them all at the same time to be best, they form an orderly queue:laughing:

Best of luck and keep us posted on your choice

B

Baron Greenback

I definitely would not get a Kennel Club pedigree dog. The KC are ****s of the highest order. If the puppy is not perfect, it's killed at birth. These murdering ****s in their puppy farms, selling dogs with genetic disorders essentially bred INTO them, killing anything that doesn't exactly conform to what those utter ****s at the KC say it should be - ****s.
Rescue 1, rescue 2 so they have a companion - you'll never regret rescuing, the only problem will be keeping the number you rescue down.
An older dog, used to cats is perfect. A younger one to learn, but don't spend a fucking fortune on a pedigree, mongrels might live longer too.

makedon

Veteran
i think its up to you,how you will train him,mine dont mess with my cats but all the others are in trouble.. :)

picture.php

ODF

Good luck!

Maybe steer clear of the ones bred for hunting small prey like someone said. Other than that it should be fine, especially if you get it as a small pup.

Kook

Only problem its the owner you can put 10 dogs whit 10 cats together if you know watt you do .iam dod trainer for the french ring my friend i know exactly what iam talkin about you can take the dog you want ._._._._._ attack the cats its PROHIBED ,it must respect the rules .
Sorry for my anglish

armedoldhippy

Veteran

the last three days she was with us, my cat rooted my Plott hound off of her bed. anyone elses cat got a quick run to the nearest tree...:)

GSPfan

Veteran
There is a cool documentary on domesticating silver foxes. All dogs today come from an extinct breed of wolf but the scientist want to see if it is possible to domesticate the foxes with selective breeding. They basically put a lot of wild silver foxes in individual cages. Every day they would walk by the cages a hit the cages with a stick to see the foxes reactions. Eventually they find a breeding pair that are an anomaly because the foxes don't get scared of the humans interacting with them. The scientist discover that the dogs temperament is passed on through their genetics somehow. Not only that but after breeding them a few times, their appearance changes. Some get different markings and colors and some even start getting a curly tail. But what I'm trying to say is that the puppies parents are a big factor in selecting puppy. If the parents are house dogs that dont mess with the cats then the puppies will be able to learn this easy. The parents temperament is key in selection.

brown_thumb

Are you insinuating that pugs can't be protective? Hogwash!! My old pug, who dragged is hind legs, would have bitten the toenails off of anyone coming near me. Oh yeah, he was a vicious toenail KILLER!! Watch out, would-be attackers. Your friggin' toes will BLEED!!