What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Millions of new universes created every second.

R

Rhinogain

So, been watching quantum physics subject on YouTube lately. And now they are saying something to the tune of, every time anything happens a new universe is created for every other possible option to that thing happening. For instance, you drop a seed and it falls to the floor. At that instant the exact same thing happened in another universe, but maybe a bird swoops in and catches the seed in mid air. This stuff is pretty hard to believe.

igrowone

Veteran
it's often called the multiverse, universes popping up like crazy
is it true? no hard proof but it has a few things going for it
conventional quantum mechanics requires a measurement/observer, which has always been viewed with some skepticism
multiverses do away with that need, though it brings its own baggage

SoufLondon

So, been watching quantum physics subject on YouTube lately. And now they are saying something to the tune of, every time anything happens a new universe is created for every other possible option to that thing happening. For instance, you drop a seed and it falls to the floor. At that instant the exact same thing happened in another universe, but maybe a bird swoops in and catches the seed in mid air. This stuff is pretty hard to believe.

The physics to support the multiverse theory is pretty sound. It is at least partially based on certain properties of quantum particles as described by quantum mechanics. In any given situation at a subatomic level packets of energy or matter can have a quantum state (1 or 0) - sometimes referred to as spin type.

Anyway, the quantum state of the particle/package of energy is both 1 and 0 until it is "observed" by another particle/package of energy. Effectively this adds an element of true randomness to any given situation.

The theory goes that the quantum state is "set" upon observation - 2 universes pop up, one with the state of the particle being 0 and another being 1.

R

Rhinogain

I'm starting to think, as I watch more on this, that nothing is real. The closer they zoom in on something, the more they find nothing is there. Like everything you see is basically made up of nothing. They say, it's about 99% empty space, and even the little they can find isn't what you could call "mass".

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Don't know if other universes would take same evolution path tho, so that dropped seed and bird catching it is probabil not the best comparation and not true. But if it is, it probably means that every time you sow and harvest some cannabis plants, someone does it better in at least one of those alternate universes.

snuggles

I'm starting to think, as I watch more on this, that nothing is real. The closer they zoom in on something, the more they find nothing is there. Like everything you see is basically made up of nothing. They say, it's about 99% empty space, and even the little they can find isn't what you could call "mass".

this has been known since the time of the vedas.
in the scriptures, what we see is called "maya"

good vibes

igrowone

Veteran

that's not a bad description of quantum mechanics
nothing is 'really' there, except that it is
Einstein called quantum mechanics an abomination

Blayz'd

I can't really get my head around it all. The science baffles me and makes no sense.

I've read that all the visible and measured universe equates to a small percentage of what is actually there. Only we have no means of measuring or knowing what the rest is made up of. Maybe that empty space is other universes.. sort of sharing the same space as us but in a dimension we can't see or reach from physical means.

The actual reality of it all is probably so crazy that we'd never believe it.

S

sourpuss

Such a crazy universe... in reality its true everything smushed together in the universe as we know it would prob equate to a watermelon of actual substance haha... fucked up and makes my brain feel like its gonna explode when i try to wrap my head around these things... an atom is a few particles elect protrons spinning around a nucleus.... wtf??? its energy... holding us all together... so in one universe the energy disappears... wonder what happenned to them ahah.... quantum shit is hard to believe and understand...

B

Baron Greenback

I'm still struggling to understand how light can be a wave and a particle at the same time. My tiny brain needs to parse that before I even get to dealing with this.
As for that other bloke in that other universe growing better weed than me - least he can do is bung some of the good stuff my way.

waveguide

Veteran
The actual reality of it all is probably so crazy that we'd never believe it.
believing the universe is for suckers. course, some assholes can't handle the competition in a universe for creating so they tell you to believe in shit.

mr.brunch

Veteran
..."If a proton (hydrogen's nucleus) were the size of a basketball, then its electron would be about the size of a golf ball and at ground state it would be flying "in orbit" approximately 5 miles away"

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ whoa.... Space, the final frontier.

I hope the other universes are not as jacked up as ours seems to be. Or at at least this planet.

waveguide

Veteran
^^ whoa.... Space, the final frontier.

I hope the other universes are not as jacked up as ours seems to be. Or at at least this planet.

i hope the other universe pound the freemasons in the gonads instead of laughing at their jokes and believing all this fucking bullshit so we can suck cock as a society all day and shit on the entire universe.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran

This reminded me of a documentary I watched a bunch of years ago, presented by Arthur C. Clarke, about these things called fractals/mandelbrot sets. It's fascinating, trippy, and has a soundtrack by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. Smoke a bunch and learn some science!

I'm going to smoke a giant bowl of Flo and catch it again.

[youtubeif]Lk6QU94xAb8[/youtubeif]

picture.php

R

Rhinogain

Saw one today on YouTube hosted by Alan Alda. Then thought, come on, make believe world, you're recycling the characters now? You bring in Alan Alda for this fave movie I'm in? Proving the more you watch this stuff and take it in, the crazier you get.

Latest posts

Latest posts