What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What to do with $10,000?

themessiah710

If you had $10k to start with and lived in a non-medical state but wanted to move to a med/rec state to make money in the marijuana industry which state would you go to and what would you do? Start growing for money, try and open a dispensary, make concentrates, etc. ? I live in a non-medical state currently and want to move and start trying to make money in marijuana somehow but I'm not really sure how saturated the market is for growers, extraction artists, dispensaries, etc. Anways, if you were in my position what would you do? I'm trying to move sooner than later so any advice is appreciated.

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Find the next place to vote med (like Ohio, theyll try again) then go there get in on the ground floor.

themessiah710

Would you rather be the guy cashing out growers for their work , or get cashed out by a guy for your work?

I'm sick of retail and consumers, couldn't deal with all the stoners out there..

Growing would be my first choice. The only two main problems I have thought of are being able to find retailers to sell the bud to (not really sure how easy it would be to find buyers without having connections) and growing in a rental. I would be worried about the landlord coming and finding a grow room. I've thought about some sort of big stealth cabinet but from everything I've read says stealth cabinets don't yield too well in general.

rykus

Look for industrial or commercial space if you want to grow, if I was broke I'd even camp there for a bit..... Hmmm 10k, I'd go outdoor or try and get in trimming and sus out the extracts thing.... Bubble bags is cheaper to go big than BHO IMO..outdoor is lower cost-return and with hard work and research you could flip the 10k realistically to enough to fund a nice commercial setup.

Or find a shitty commercial space that is cheap and private and buy some usedor cheap gear, and expand as money comes in.... Just remember to have 4 months bills covered.... Best bet is probably drop the 10k now on good gear, start saving again and looking for a place that's low budget zone of a legal state, and start making contacts there....

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a little easier if you know someone already working. Fewer opportunities in "legal" states as the flocks have landed- and saturated.

Like others mentioned, keep stashing away $$, keep in tune with states possibly voting in action, watch Senate/House Bills being presented in states you might consider during their legislative session. Subscribe to cannabis employment rags or websites, find out all you can about jobs, salary, requirements.

Dispensary- do you know annual cost to run one? Not to mention having an attorney, filing fees even before start up? If you don't know those answers, it's like many that have that dream, but a business plan for action.

$10k doesn't go far theses days. A few thousand just to resettle, utilities, rent, lease.

Good luck.

iBogart

Veteran
Thar's weed in them thar hills!

I can't blame you for wanting to get the fuck out of Florida, but your plans sound immature and dripping with ignorance.

But since you asked the question. Your options are limited. You have what, four states to choose from? Oregon, washington, colorado, and california. The rest of the med state are a joke and not what you're after. Out of those four the market is saturated and the process to get a legit mj business going is complicated, expensive, ohh, and did I mention expensive? Cost of living is much higher in those states compared to Florida. 10 Grand in California might last you three months with rent, food, and gas, plus misc. shit.

First thing I'd do is get a job lined up in the industry, then move. Save more money. Network in the industry. Size up your competition. Do your market analysis. Then draw up your business plan.

If you're not running a warehouse sized space now I'd not waste the cash time or effort on running to an over saturated overly competitive market.
I'd stay put n set up where the margins and return is going to be better myself.

cheers,.............................................gps

I'm in Florida. We don't vote on it again untill November and if it's like Amendment 2 from last year home grows wouldn't be legal from what I remember.
there's several bills jockeying for ballot space. one is full legalization no strings. i suggest staying in florida and talking to everyone you know to get off their asses and pass one of those bills.

http://floridafreedomgroup.com/index.php/downloadable-pdfs/rightofadultstocannabis

http://www.unitedforcare.org/petition

the only one i support fully is the first one thats pure legalization, gives the state the right to regulate the sale though.

the second one is medicinal but no growing unless you're a authorized facility. they changed it from the 2014 petition which DID allow home growing.

there's a third one that allows everyone over 21 to have it but the state has to give you licenses and cards and shit.

http://www.regulateflorida.com/petition/petition.pdf

redlaser

Veteran
10k will go a little ways but you'd need other income lined up until you had something to sell. In California you can visit several dispensarys if you want to get the best price for your stuff. Needs to be great if you want good prices. Its gonna change though because Brown passed some regulation that has yet to be figured out for the most part.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
that ship already sailed...yeehaw...10k aint much in cali ..hell house rent here where I am is 2400 month plus utilities and such...10 k wont go far...everyone and their granny is growing and the market is flooded...you better have something special to bring to the table or I will be buying your used gear on craigslist..all the dispensaries are lowballing each other to make cash before any changes occur..hell gorilla glue is going for 150 an oz and places deliver too...I am considering going somewhere where it aint legal again..