What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's 104 watt micro grow with custom HG LED (ScrOG)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi D9, i repot a few times as it makes better use of limited space and i believe you get better root mass that way. i start seeds in small pots probably around half a litre. make sure they are at least 4" deep as this will give you a slightly greater chance of getting more females. then i pot up into 1-2 litre pots after a couple of weeks or so (with ferted mix). then into 3-5 litre, sometimes i go from these straight into the final 15 litre pots and sometimes i go into 7 litre inbetween. depending on how much time/space i have.

i would say that you want to use at least 12 litre / 3 gallon pots for the final ones - any less and they may run out of steam before they finish.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all, it's 8 weeks tomorrow afaik and heres an update. looking good, the leaves are slowly yellowing and ive been feeding quite heavily, although i'll probably back this off soon. this is the first plant to yellow in this cab and i can only guess that the extra watts in the light (previously a 63W LED) are causing bigger buds and more food to be required.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

cheers

VG

D9_THC

Looking sweet VG! Thank you for your earlier answers. How much longer before harvest?

Do you have branches or leaves removed under the screen, and do you remove bud sites under the screen? Do you remove the tiny branches(next to leaves) that start to grow in flower under the screen , but seem destined to never be able to reach it?

Loving your grows, your paving the way foward in led's. people only have to look at this for the perfect example of what led's can do in small confined spaces.

i too would like to know the days till harvest

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey D9, i sometimes remove the branches below the screen, but often i dont get round to it. small branches under the screen can be very useful if you decide to take a late cutting whilst a plant is in flower. also, some branches just reach the screen and form a bud above it without any training - these can be useful to pull back under, move and poke back through to fill a gap in the canopy as the plant tops out (stops stretching). if i di rmove stuff under the screen i tend to remove bud sites but leave the leaf as this will get sucked dry by the plant and the nutrients recycled

ashash, yeah for this size grow LED is probably the best choice, 100w of cfl wouldn't do much and HPS are hot and less efficient as the wattage is reduced.

the SB goes 10-11 weeks

gavin, m4c - thanks for stopping by :)

mixed up a new batch of soil today. i have some new seedlings, i will probably move this light into a bigger cab - 16x24 - and may try flowering some original haze in it - which would be a huge challenge to say the least :tiphat:

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey cheesebuds thanks for stopping by!

ohyesplease - i agree :)

gavin, i'll defo be growing the haze - i have 6 seedlings! - just not quite worked out where yet. i also have 5 chemdog x sour d seedlings and a few cuts rooting all for the next round...

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
quick update - 9 weeks - no more feeding and the leaves are fading nicely.
picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for stopping by aries - yes im very happy with this light so far. these buds are the sort of size i would expect to see under my 250 hps. - when you do scrog you kind of sacrifice that 0ne huge cola per plant but gain many medium sized ones.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
right here is some pics from today - just over 10 weeks - this is pretty much ready and will get chopped next week. its faded just about how i like it in the end
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

also a sneak peek at what is coming next. i have 6 original Haze plants that i hope to flower under this light - but in a bigger cab that is 15 x 24 inches. it's gonna be tough as they take 16-24 weeks and grow very big. the cab is only 2ft tall :D dont know how many girls yet either. the seeds are from seedsman and reputedly sam skunkman stock
picture.php

picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
panchobudda - thanks!

cheesebuds - yeah the haze will be a challenge. :D
not sure quite how i will do it yet but i think i will flower just 2 females (if i get that many) and clone any others (ill keep cuts of them all anyway). im thinking of trying to root some cuts of the haze in 8/16 or 10/14 to try and sex the plants quickly. also may start them flowering in smaller pots and them repot when they've topped out (which is easier said than done with a scrog but i think ive worked out a way to do it)

VG :tiphat:

knna

Excelent grow, VG.

I feel you may get similar results using white LEDs instead than green ones but using fewer watts. Neutral whites actually emits most of their light on the green-yellow area but at way higher efficiency than green LEDs does it.

But apart the efficiency issue, the spectum proved to work very good, excelent looking buds and healthy plants in there!

oldbootz

Veteran
that SB is looking as good as always, maybe even a little better than usual :)
i reckon your scrog technique will work fine for the OH, it worked for the black forrest at 14 weeks, just imagine a little more madness going on and prepare for it with a higher cieling? i've got lots of confidence in your scrogging abilities!