What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Summertime Temperature

RedACD

Hello all,

Doing my first outside grow this summer and am looking at a few weeks of 100 degree plus days coming up. This is after a weeklong run of 105 degrees a few weeks ago. Was wondering if these high temps had any negative effects on growing, and if there is anything I could do to help mitigate the temps? I have a few autos in smart pots and a few photos in flower pots. The autos were started at various intervals, but seem to be taking their time to mature. The photos don't seem to care and are getting too tall (even after topping). The plants are only getting a few hours of direct sunlight each day and are shaded for the rest of the time.

Thanks

w3rds

Open a window near your plants and crank that a/c...

but really. have you put a thermometer near your plants or are you going off weather sites? I have friends that outdoor in arizona, with 100+ during most of their summer, good dense buds. Dont know your climate, but in a dry area with good airflow, you should be fine.

mr.brunch

Veteran
They will be fine, plenty of airflow outside.... they will probably drink a fair bit more though.

RedACD

Thanks guys. Yeah I have a digital thermometer next to the mature plants. The thermometer is currently reading 104 today in the shade. Its HOT but there is plenty of airflow and breeze. My entire backyard is greener this year than its been the past few, but that's probably because of all the water California got over the winter. I guess just wait it out until fall.

RedACD

Thanks Dro Smoe. Yep, been watering a little extra and checking on things. Everything is growing and doing good so far. I guess the high heat doesn't affect the plants as much a I thought it would.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Thanks Dro Smoe. Yep, been watering a little extra and checking on things. Everything is growing and doing good so far. I guess the high heat doesn't affect the plants as much a I thought it would.
From my understanding the higher temperatures are more a problem during flower, as they can cause some of the terpenes to evaporate causing less smell/taste in the final bud.

RedACD

Everything is chugging along fine in this heat. Plants don't seem to care as long they get watered. The temps have been peaking around 106-108 degrees the past month but that temp isn't for very long. Been high nineties most of the day and only getting high seventies at night. The bugs are also enjoying the extra heat. Been having to up my pest game with a new challenge showing up every few weeks.

Latest posts

Latest posts