What's new

My first Time ;)

effit.legro

hey there,
i'm about to start my first grow 4-6 weeks from now.
i read a lot, learned a lot
(for example from kodiak and his complete guide to topping, training and pruning - big thx to him!!) but still i got some "short" questions ;)
don't know if kodiak is still around, would love to hear his opinion on my thoughts. besides, of course, everybody is welcome to share their opinion and experiences! let's go:

kodiak wrote in his guide "Short veg times are ok for clones but when you are growing plants from seed, you should also allow them to develop preflowers before you put them into 12/12."
can somebody please add some more info on that?
even indoors the plants are the one to show you when it's time to flip the lights to flowering? i always thought that's my call...

for my first run i thought about a schedule like this:
germinating seeds 7-10 days under 125w cfl
grow them roundabout 20-30 days under 400w mh (depending on how quick the plants will grow)
then start flowering with 400w.

can one tell how tall (indica-dominant) plants can grow in a short veg like this?

i will for sure try longer vegging and some sativas later but right now i simply need somewhat of a quick turnaround.

what's your thoughts on a quite short schedule like this? how to optimize plants in a short veg like this?
at what time would you apply some topping/fimming? you can use lst all the way through i guess.

about training-timing in general: can i use different methods of training at the same time (meaning the same day) or should i go step by step?
should i for example top a plant and at the same time tie down the main stem? or should i do the topping and wait a few days before bending?

about fimming: let's say you miss the fim - what response can you expect from the plants? fimming to much basically equals topping. right?
but what about not fimming enough? how will the plant respond? just recover and continue to grow the fimmed top with no extra branches?

about strains: got any tips on a solid, quick and high yielding indica strain? right now i'm thinking about the following strains, all listed with 6-8 weeks flowering time:
sugar black rose from delicious seeds, orange bud from dutch passion, original cheese from paradise seeds, peyote cookies from barneys farm, bigger bud from bulk seed bank & afghan skunk from advanced seeds.
those would be the strains to pick from right now. what do you think?

of course i'm not going to put them in there all together. i'm thinking about 2-4 different genetics to start with. and maybe try some monster cropping right away.

any experience with seeds from bulk seed bank? so cheap, can this even be true?

the setup i'll use: 1,20mx1,20mx 2,00m
400w phillips son-t pia for flowering, 125w cfl for germinating/rooting & 400w electrolux super grow mh for veg. any suggestions on those or other bulbs?
it's not the biggest setup but should be totally fine for my needs right now. gonna use coco and 12L root pouches. feeding strictly organic.
i'm planning on putting in 10-12 plants this time, learn how to top/fim them and start with some lst.

from there on with every grow i want to reduce the number of plants and try/learn more on how to fill my room with less plants.
the final goal will be growing 4 plants at a time filling the scrog. we'll see...

any suggestions?

one last question:
the strain nl#5xhaze from sensi seeds. it's listed with a flowering time of 40-50 days. but as i understand there is quite a bit of sativa in it - so this short flowering time can't be true, right?

damn, this post got quite long :D
let me know what you think! thx a lot, effit

rolandomota

Veteran
Grow some Malawi x pck its a 10 weeker but very strong lots of purple and tasty from what i have been reading. Also fast growing and high yielding. 6 weeks is too early to harvest shot for 8 to 10 weeks for heavier and stronger smoking crops. Some auto malawi in the veg room with 24 hour light so you can have two crops at once is also a great idea. I like ace seeds as you can see.

F

FreeUrMind

Best of luck with your grow. Do you have a link for topping

I put a nl#5xhaze that I had been given to me by a friend and I flowered for 55days my personal opinion is it was a ok strain to grow but wasn't for me on the smoke 😕

effit.legro

Grow some Malawi x pck its a 10 weeker but very strong lots of purple and tasty from what i have been reading. Also fast growing and high yielding. 6 weeks is too early to harvest shot for 8 to 10 weeks for heavier and stronger smoking crops. Some auto malawi in the veg room with 24 hour light so you can have two crops at once is also a great idea. I like ace seeds as you can see.
thx for the tip. i'll check those...

B

bigganjabud

hey there,
i'm about to start my first grow 4-6 weeks from now.
i read a lot, learned a lot
(for example from kodiak and his complete guide to topping, training and pruning - big thx to him!!) but still i got some "short" questions ;)
don't know if kodiak is still around, would love to hear his opinion on my thoughts. besides, of course, everybody is welcome to share their opinion and experiences! let's go:

kodiak wrote in his guide "Short veg times are ok for clones but when you are growing plants from seed, you should also allow them to develop preflowers before you put them into 12/12."
can somebody please add some more info on that?
even indoors the plants are the one to show you when it's time to flip the lights to flowering? i always thought that's my call...

for my first run i thought about a schedule like this:
germinating seeds 7-10 days under 125w cfl
grow them roundabout 20-30 days under 400w mh (depending on how quick the plants will grow)
then start flowering with 400w.

can one tell how tall (indica-dominant) plants can grow in a short veg like this?

i will for sure try longer vegging and some sativas later but right now i simply need somewhat of a quick turnaround.

what's your thoughts on a quite short schedule like this? how to optimize plants in a short veg like this?
at what time would you apply some topping/fimming? you can use lst all the way through i guess.

about training-timing in general: can i use different methods of training at the same time (meaning the same day) or should i go step by step?
should i for example top a plant and at the same time tie down the main stem? or should i do the topping and wait a few days before bending?

about fimming: let's say you miss the fim - what response can you expect from the plants? fimming to much basically equals topping. right?
but what about not fimming enough? how will the plant respond? just recover and continue to grow the fimmed top with no extra branches?

about strains: got any tips on a solid, quick and high yielding indica strain? right now i'm thinking about the following strains, all listed with 6-8 weeks flowering time:
sugar black rose from delicious seeds, orange bud from dutch passion, original cheese from paradise seeds, peyote cookies from barneys farm, bigger bud from bulk seed bank & afghan skunk from advanced seeds.
those would be the strains to pick from right now. what do you think?

of course i'm not going to put them in there all together. i'm thinking about 2-4 different genetics to start with. and maybe try some monster cropping right away.

any experience with seeds from bulk seed bank? so cheap, can this even be true?

the setup i'll use: 1,20mx1,20mx 2,00m
400w phillips son-t pia for flowering, 125w cfl for germinating/rooting & 400w electrolux super grow mh for veg. any suggestions on those or other bulbs?
it's not the biggest setup but should be totally fine for my needs right now. gonna use coco and 12L root pouches. feeding strictly organic.
i'm planning on putting in 10-12 plants this time, learn how to top/fim them and start with some lst.

from there on with every grow i want to reduce the number of plants and try/learn more on how to fill my room with less plants.
the final goal will be growing 4 plants at a time filling the scrog. we'll see...

any suggestions?

one last question:
the strain nl#5xhaze from sensi seeds. it's listed with a flowering time of 40-50 days. but as i understand there is quite a bit of sativa in it - so this short flowering time can't be true, right?

damn, this post got quite long :D
let me know what you think! thx a lot, effit

Wow over doing your theory bro hahaha

Nah only joking man we are all like that mate

Indica plants normally double in hight during flower
Sativas can quadruple

You can use all training types at once it won't matter as with that schedule you'll be able to let them recover from any stress anyway

To fim I useally cut diagonally across the growing tip so it looks like a feather after

It's called weed for a reason bro it will try its best to grow no matter what you do to it

Flowering times vary haha some people put shit on packs to sell beans, some people sell beans to make packs and some people make sure there beans match the description before they release em
(personally can't comment on sensi as never done there stuff)

Personally I'd have gone for a nice hardy indica for my first grow but then again I've only ever been hydro so I dived into the deep end aswell

Any more questions gis a shout il try and help

w3rds

If youre going from seed and you plan on stressing it (fim, top, etc) you need the longer veg. If you only wait 30 days from the time your seedlings break the soil, youre going to really cut down your yield. An extra 2 weeks of veg can really help yields, otherwise youre looking at almost nothing for 3 months of work. You basically need to add 5-7 days to your veg every time you FIM/top. Not cutting enough when you FIM will either slow your main colas growth by a few days with no benefit or do nothing.

XXX_710

I remember my first time... it was clumsy, a bit confusing, exciting and it definitely yielded something! I would be patient, and set the bar at finishing the first harvest. Along the way you will learn about how your strain(s) grows and thus how it responds to being shaped. You control how tall they are and what the canopy will look like throughout veg. I wouldn't assume schedules yet until you have some success. You will figure out how long your strains take to bloom and then you can make a schedule for your harvests, so you can plan on doing that work.

Good luck! Don't forget to bring positive vibes to your girls. Love gets love back.