What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Closed loop extraction at home prop 215

JJ Lowe

Anyone know the legality of closed loop extraction under prop 215?
On a Small scale(less than 1lb) column.

Thx!!

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In California, hashish or concentrates are referred to as "concentrated cannabis". Proposition 64, The Adult Use Marijuana Act, permits adults over 21 years of age who are not participating in the state’s medical cannabis program to possess up to eight grams of concentrates. The law took effect on November 9, 2016.

Control, Regulate and Tax Adult Use of Marijuana Act ("the Adult Use of Marijuana Act)
California Health & Safety Code §11006.5
California Health & Safety Code §11357(a)

The penalties associated with the manufacture of hashish or concentrates depends on what method was used during the manufacture. If the manufacturing process involved extraction chemicals, such as butane, then it is considered manufacture by means of chemical synthesis of a controlled substance. Manufacture by means of chemical synthesis of a controlled substance carries a fine no greater than $50,000 and a term of imprisonment of 3, 5, or 7 years as determined by the court. If the manufacturing process utilized screens, presses, or any other means not involving a chemical synthesis, then the offense is considered unauthorized processing of marijuana. Unauthorized processing of marijuana carries a term of imprisonment 16 months, 2 years, or three years as determined by the court.

California Health & Safety Code §11379.6(a)
California Health & Safety Code §11358
California Penal Code §1170(h)
People v. Bergen, 166 Cal.App.4th 161 (2008)

Apart from the provisions mentioned, concentrated cannabis is included within the definition of marijuana for all other offenses, such as intent to sell, providing to a minor, etc. For information concerning those offenses, check the California marijuana laws section of this website.

California Health & Safety Code §11018"

https://norml.org/laws/item/california-penalties

If the Feds get involved it's forfeiture and the big house.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I don't know if it's true or not but I heard recently Cali passed a law(?) which
basically states a person can't purchase more than 2 cans of butane. Is this correct?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't know if it's true or not but I heard recently Cali passed a law(?) which
basically states a person can't purchase more than 2 cans of butane. Is this correct?

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article149599239.html

MAY 09, 2017 4:36 PM
New butane restrictions add roadblock to making hash oil in Sacramento County
BY ELLEN GARRISON

Butane has long fueled camp stoves and cigarette lighters. But some residents are buying gallons of the gas for another purpose – producing the marijuana concentrate known as hash oil.

For that reason, Sacramento County Supervisor Phil Serna questions why liquor stores stock large quantities of butane, as he’s noticed in the South Oak Park neighborhood in his district.

Serna and other supervisors unanimously voted Tuesday to limit the amount of butane that retailers in the county can sell to 600 milliliters, roughly equal to a British pint glass. The ordinance also would require local sellers to log the sale date, quantity and customer information. Residents will only be able to possess 600 milliliters at any given time.

County leaders are particularly concerned that explosions linked to butane hash oil labs have been on the rise for the last decade.

“That caused me to reflect on whether or not my constituents are in that much of a dire need for that much butane,” Serna said. “Knowing what I know about the process for extracting cannabinoids. ... I saw the need immediately for there to be some sort of intervention.”

Hash oil, sometimes called honey oil, is made by cramming marijuana into a tube and running butane through it. That strips THC – the ingredient that produces a high – from the plant matter.

The liquid that comes out the tube’s bottom is then heated to evaporate the butane. What remains is a waxy substance that can be smoked, used in edibles or placed in e-cigarettes.

The evaporation part of the process can be deadly. Refined butane vapor is clear, odorless and heavier than air, so it sinks to the ground and can gather in enclosed spaces. It’s highly flammable, so any tiny flare is enough to cause an explosion, such as a spark from a wall outlet or a refrigerator motor.

Components of a butane hash oil lab are fairly inexpensive and tutorials on making the substance are easy to come by – a Google search turns up dozens of how-to guides.

Sacramento Fire Department Captain Mike Feyh said one or two 300-milliliter cans hold enough butane to blow up an entire apartment. He said some makers don’t realize that if there’s a leak in their system, a spark is all that’s needed to cause an explosion.

Dr. David Greenhalgh, chief of the burn division at UC Davis Medical Center, said patients tied to butane explosions began showing up in the burn ward around 2007. Since then, the number of patients per year has grown to about 30 out of 400, about 7 percent of all burn patients.

While average patients have burns on 8 percent to 10 percent of their bodies, people caught in butane explosions have burns on 30 percent of their body on average, he said. In some cases, burns cover 70 to 90 percent of a patient’s body.

Hospital stays for burns work out to roughly a day per percent burned, he said.

“They can be in for five, six, seven months in critical care units,” Greenhalgh said. “We’re talking lots of money. ... They’re not always the highest-insured kinds of people.”

Greenhalgh said exact numbers are hard to determine because people in butane explosions sometimes lie about the source of the fire. He compared the proliferation of hash oil labs to methamphetamine labs in the 1990s that relied on the cold drug pseudoephedrine.

“When they got control of the pseudoephedrine, they stopped having that (meth lab explosion) problem,” Greenhalgh said. Federal Drug Enforcement Administration statistics show incidents involving meth labs fell from 180 in California in 2010 to 47 in 2014.

The Sacramento County ordinance is on track to take effect June 22. It will ban sales of butane over 600 milliliters in Sacramento County, but a three-pack of 300 milliliter cans is available on Amazon for $19.99. The gas can legally be used to refill lighters and power camp stoves.

The ordinance does not restrict the purchase of butane with odor added – the smell lingers in the hash oil, so manufacturers don’t use it.

Feyh is working with Assemblyman Jim Cooper, D-Elk Grove, and firefighter organizations to pass Assembly Bill 1120, which would put the same regulations in place statewide. The bill is currently in the Assembly Appropriations Committee.

Feyh said butane hash oil labs used to be more of a rural problem, and cities such as Red Bluff and Eureka passed ordinances restricting butane. But recently, labs have emerged in more suburbs and urban areas, he said.

“People could be doing it next door and you would never know,” he said.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB1120

SECTION 1. Section 11107.2 is added to the Health and Safety Code, to read:

11107.2. (a) It is unlawful for a manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, or other person or entity to sell to any one customer more than 600 milliliters of nonodorized butane in any 30-day period. The limitation in this subdivision shall not apply to any of the following transactions:
(1) Butane sold to a manufacturer or wholesaler solely for the purpose of resale.
(2) Butane sold to a person for use in a lawful commercial enterprise, including, but not limited to, a medical cannabis collective or cooperative described in Section 11362.775, operating in compliance with all applicable state licensing requirements and local regulations governing that type of business.
(b) For every sale of nonodorized butane, the seller shall record and maintain on the premises of the seller for a period of not less than two years after the date of the sale, the following information:
(1) The name, address, and date of birth of the customer, as obtained from his or her valid driver’s license or other government-issued photo identification.
(2) For sales made pursuant to paragraph (1) or (2) of subdivision (a), the name and address of the business, a description of the type of business, and a business license number, if applicable.
(3) The date and time of the sale.
(4) The brand and quantity of butane purchased.
(5) The full name of the person who processed the sale.
(c) A violation of any provision of this section is a misdemeanor.
(d) (1) The Department of Justice shall establish a database to track the sale of nonodorized butane within the state.
(2) Any manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, or other person or entity that sells nonodorized butane shall submit a quarterly report to the Department of Justice of all sales involving nonodorized butane, including all of the information collected pursuant to subdivision (b).
(3) Implementation of this subdivision shall be subject to an appropriation in the annual Budget Act or other measure.
(e) As used in this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) “Customer” means any person or entity that purchases or acquires nonodorized butane from a seller during a transaction.
(2) “Nonodorized butane” means iso-butane, n-butane, or refined butane of any power that uses the words “refined,” “pure,” “purified,” “premium,” or “filtered,” to describe the butane, or which does not contain ethyl mercaptan or a similar odorant.
(3) “Sell” or “sale” means to furnish, give away, exchange, transfer, deliver, surrender, distribute, or supply, in exchange for money or any other consideration.
(4) “Seller” means any person, business entity, or employee thereof that sells nonodorized butane to any customer within this state.
SEC. 2. No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution because the only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or school district will be incurred because this act creates a new crime or infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penalty for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of the Government Code, or changes the definition of a crime within the meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution.

The California State Senate Public Safety Committee is set to vote on it 7/11/'17

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billStatusClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB1120

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone know the legality of closed loop extraction under prop 215?
On a Small scale(less than 1lb) column.

Thx!!

You inquired about the legality of concentrate production under Prop 215, California's medical cannabis law, and AFAIK it's now the same as for Prop 64, the recreational cannabis law.

Last edited:

resinryder

Veteran
Thanks [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SkyHighLer. That clears it up. I could make a fortune in the black market selling tane to Cali guys, lol
[/FONT]

This seems like it's gonna make it harder for open blasting folks. Closed loopers usually gonna buy a bigger tank in bulk anyway.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool. Thanks for the responses. Maybe I'll just go a different route. rosin press?
Thanks again..

"In California, hashish or concentrates are referred to as "concentrated cannabis". Proposition 64, The Adult Use Marijuana Act, permits adults over 21 years of age who are not participating in the state’s medical cannabis program to possess up to eight grams of concentrates. The law took effect on November 9, 2016.

Control, Regulate and Tax Adult Use of Marijuana Act ("the Adult Use of Marijuana Act)
California Health & Safety Code §11006.5
California Health & Safety Code §11357(a)

The penalties associated with the manufacture of hashish or concentrates depends on what method was used during the manufacture. If the manufacturing process involved extraction chemicals, such as butane, then it is considered manufacture by means of chemical synthesis of a controlled substance. Manufacture by means of chemical synthesis of a controlled substance carries a fine no greater than $50,000 and a term of imprisonment of 3, 5, or 7 years as determined by the court. If the manufacturing process utilized screens, presses, or any other means not involving a chemical synthesis, then the offense is considered unauthorized processing of marijuana. Unauthorized processing of marijuana carries a term of imprisonment 16 months, 2 years, or three years as determined by the court.

California Health & Safety Code §11379.6(a)
California Health & Safety Code §11358
California Penal Code §1170(h)
People v. Bergen, 166 Cal.App.4th 161 (2008)

Apart from the provisions mentioned, concentrated cannabis is included within the definition of marijuana for all other offenses, such as intent to sell, providing to a minor, etc. For information concerning those offenses, check the California marijuana laws section of this website.

California Health & Safety Code §11018"

https://norml.org/laws/item/california-penalties

If the Feds get involved it's forfeiture and the big house.

"Unauthorized processing of marijuana" is prohibited in California.

resinryder

Veteran
Oh no. Its legal to cook with it just not to make the butter to cook with. No separation of resin glands from plant material in any form. Buy the butter from the dispensaries. Leave it to the guy who wrote and is profiting off the law to add some stupid shit like that in. But hey, he's got to get his piece eh.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool. Thanks for the responses. Maybe I'll just go a different route. rosin press?
Thanks again..

Chalice this weekend, find out what's going on for yourself.

http://www.chalicecalifornia.com

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/chalicefestival/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWQhq_7gtoF/?hl=en

They moved it to Victorville last year, San Bernardino Sheriffs hanging under the trees, while we dab in the sun.

Anyone has anything to say about what a dabbed down society would look like need look no further, peace.

packerfan79

Veteran
Victorville is a shithole. Been almost 1 murder per day their lately. I think they banned all sales medical or recreational recently. I live close to their.