What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

washing cannabis

Tburbary

Hey Jelleyfish! If you're growing indoors you might not have a reason to wash your buds. I don't know, I've never flowered female plants indoors. I do grow in greenhouses year round (can do in Hawaii) and I wash all my plants post harvest. I just use 3 buckets or 3 clean dedicated trashcans (depending on plant size) of pure water. All sorts of dust, weed seeds, bugs and/or bug stuff and spray residue comes off in the first bucket, less in the second bucket and by the time I get to the third bucket the water stays clean. I do 10 dunks with some agitation in each can/bucket and the buds come out sparkling clean. I'll do post harvest washing for the rest of my life.

I spray pretty far into flowering too though. Mostly kelp and fulvic acid so it's more important for me to do than others probably.

Also, I scoped the buds the first couple times I tried it and I couldn't see a difference as far as tricome preservation. I suppose you could lose some trichs if you were really rough with the buds. I give them some good dunking, but I'm not going nuts with speed or force. I also give them a smooth pendulum type swing when they're done to get most of the water out.

You could give it a try on a few branches and see how you like it. Scope them before and after and see if you notice a difference. I doubt you will. I think fresh tricomes are stuck on pretty sturdily.

And finally, another advantage is that I believe it slows down the drying a little more which I like.

I also follow this process and will never divert. If some people think the trichomes will fall off, all I ask is try it on 1 bud to see the outcome.

Ill add that I do use some fresh lemon juice as a natural cleanser in 1 bucket of mine

Cheers:dance013:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
I also follow this process and will never divert. If some people think the trichomes will fall off, all I ask is try it on 1 bud to see the outcome.

Ill add that I do use some fresh lemon juice as a natural cleanser in 1 bucket of mine

Cheers:dance013:

That's a good idea, and I will definitely try it on one bud next time around.

Maybe I'm thinking of after the product is dried/cured, but I don't think I'm the first person ever to think it was important to handle buds carefully. This is really kind of shocking to me, but like I said, I will try it, because if it can make better buds, then I'm all about it. :biggrin:

I could see doing it for some outdoor with some distilled water/or RO (gross you guys do it in tap that's just gross) - but the lemon juice/ baking powered would be a no-go for me. I am sure I would get moldy buds if I did it - and grow indoors so I have never tried it. I have grown outdoor years ago and never did they and I always remember the buds tasting sweet and yummy. Outdoor could provide good reason to do it - but I don't see it as a necessity

G

Gr33nSanta

I could see doing it for some outdoor with some distilled water/or RO (gross you guys do it in tap that's just gross) - but the lemon juice/ baking powered would be a no-go for me. I am sure I would get moldy buds if I did it - and grow indoors so I have never tried it. I have grown outdoor years ago and never did they and I always remember the buds tasting sweet and yummy. Outdoor could provide good reason to do it - but I don't see it as a necessity

First you would have to test my tap water, then you can say it's gross, or not.

weedtoker

Veteran
So this has been discussed a few times, the last ocasions were here as far as search function leads:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7905592
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=334899

Someone was asking for a reason to do this indoors... If you don't have filtered air intakes indoors your flower is full of "things", sorry man it's a fact, take your nice scope and inspect your flowers for fibers, hair and dirt they're there, more or less, the less you bad handle flowers them the more you start to realize how dirty a cannabis plant can get after 2-4 months life cycle. I am a brother who does it organic and doesn't spray after I see the slight resemblance of an apical flower developing and have been battling with this question for some time now and still reached the conclusion that I would prefer to wash and loose some water solubles if I was on the cheap. If you got the wants/needs, then it seems you've got two ways --> HEPA (intuitive, but I still have yet to try) and clean resin. Pics don't explain the full subject here, testing the differences between non-wash/ washed smoke is key, I would imagine that lab results would help a long way too on this one too, so hoping someone steps up on that one as this corner doesn't have acess to those yet :moon:

And again as others have stated before, hope this opens up the debate instead of "you're crazy bothsided attitude", let's discuss the known facts, 'cause we all need to start looking at these kind of questions intead of looking away at them, specially with enough educated/legal markets rising in number and more flowers reaching higher % terps...

Cheers

YetiOG

The whole time I'm reading this thread, I'm thinking, 'That's gonna knock the trichomes right off the bud. Which I don't want to do.'

It might make sense for outdoor buds, but is there any good reason to rinse indoor buds?

Hell no not unless your grow environment is dusty as a motherfucker... I'm indoor only and I'd never wash weed.

Fuck I wouldn't even wash off pm I would throw the shit. It happened once in flower chucked all the bud for a bho run which was ok but I wouldn't try to wash it off.

Your point of washing off trichrome is why I wouldn't wash it. Fuck I wouldn't be able to grow open air it would need to be in a greenhouse the bugs, dust, bird shit and rain would trip me out too much...

I love the responses on this thread it's been months since I posted it I look a couple days ago and had 26 or something. amazing. I washed half my crop n left the other and I did notice a difference in taste and smoothness even in high I will be doing this process again =]

Certainly curious enough to try one bud immediately after chop. Slightly worries about it drying properly without mild/rot. Anyone that does this ever have problems of that sort? Seems especially scary for super dense buds.

the trichome wick the water right off the bud it's kinda cool to watch as you too it and take it out but once washed I lay them on a paper towel for a few minutes rotating them ever so often then dry as usual didn't have any issues with mold when I did this

G

Gr33nSanta

after spinning and hanging the buds, a gentle breeze will dry the buds very quickly. For the big colas I like to break them apart a bit, inspecting the thickest part of the colas carefully with a magnifying glass. In my opinion, whether you wash them or not if they are going to mold that means they were already starting to mold before harvest anyway. I am a fucking expert at spotting botrytis and I make damn sure no one ever smokes it. I find some cultivars simply grow such dense fat buds that if you wait too long to harvest they can start to mold.

I have found over the years that washing the buds at harvest seems to make dry faster, could be in my head too....

Stardog

I wash indoor flowers all the time. There are more dust mushrooms and scrubbers in my shop than I could count but dust does still accumulate on my ducting over a period of a month or so and a few years back I took some flowers over to the sink and lightly sprayed them with RO water. Looking at the flowers under a scope I couldn't tell the difference in the shape or number of trichomes, the only thing I did notice was that the lightly washed flowers had a shiny , clean look. On that note I don't have time to wash all my flowers but I honestly don't feel it hurts anything unless you were power washing perhaps.
I recently had one of my OG's tested that just happened to have been washed and it came out 28. something % THC. Now whether that means anything or not I have no idea.If you looked into the corners of your grow you'll find spiders of all kinds and flies even if you're constantly cleaning and plenty of people I know would find much more. Washing flowers is probably more related to my OCD nature regarding flowers and quality than it is to any real difference. It's very easy to fool myself.:tiphat:

Stardog

This is a washed branch for the pics or it didn't happen thing, not that you can see much but it had a big daddy long legs crawling around it and those guys can lay down some eggs etc. Call me crazy, it wouldn't be the first time.:)
picture.php

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Stardog, thanks, but that looks like any other bud. How about a side-by-side comparison?

Stardog

Yeah you're right. A side by side, I don't have, you'd just have to believe me and what do I know and on top of that it's the internet...:) To be honest initially I was very reluctant to spray anything on flowers, even straight water. I certainly can't say the washed flowers were better or worse, I couldn't tell they all smoked great to me. I think to say it's harmless is fine so long as your RH is low.

Certainly curious enough to try one bud immediately after chop. Slightly worries about it drying properly without mild/rot. Anyone that does this ever have problems of that sort? Seems especially scary for super dense buds.

Can you dry a single bud slow and proper? If you can go for it, otherwise try 1 branch or the end of one branch . I don't dry single buds and they would dry too fast for me to get good results from, but if you have a system to do single buds then it should be a good experiment for you.

And I just hang my branches and have an oscillating fan moving air around like I did before I stared post harvest washing. The first couple times I did it I turned the fan speed up in my dry room for the first few hours or half a day or something because I was worried it might mold, but mold hasn't been a problem with the fan on its normal speed so I don't do anything different now, but I do swing out the excess water like I mentioned in my previous post.

Stardog, thanks, but that looks like any other bud. How about a side-by-side comparison?

I don't have any comparison photos, but the next time I harvest in about six weeks I can take some pics. The buckets of water would actually be more telling than the buds.

Hell no not unless your grow environment is dusty as a motherfucker... I'm indoor only and I'd never wash weed.

Fuck I wouldn't even wash off pm I would throw the shit. It happened once in flower chucked all the bud for a bho run which was ok but I wouldn't try to wash it off.

Your point of washing off trichrome is why I wouldn't wash it. Fuck I wouldn't be able to grow open air it would need to be in a greenhouse the bugs, dust, bird shit and rain would trip me out too much...

You can try washing one branch after harvest and scope the trichomes. You shouldn't lose any. I scoped mine after the first couple times trying Bud washing and I couldn't see a difference under a scope. Unless you're planning on using ice water or something then that would definitely knock off a lot of trichomes but normal room temperature water hasn't had an effect on my trichomes anyway

Can you dry a single bud slow and proper? If you can go for it, otherwise try 1 branch or the end of one branch . I don't dry single buds and they would dry too fast for me to get good results from, but if you have a system to do single buds then it should be a good experiment for you.

And I just hang my branches and have an oscillating fan moving air around like I did before I stared post harvest washing. The first couple times I did it I turned the fan speed up in my dry room for the first few hours or half a day or something because I was worried it might mold, but mold hasn't been a problem with the fan on its normal speed so I don't do anything different now, but I do swing out the excess water like I mentioned in my previous post.

I have a small tray that I use for drying single buds and it works great! takes 8-10 days to dry a bud and every time I use it the buds come out great. I use it a lot for tester nugs, and to pull a bud if I need something to smoke and I know i'll run out in a week or so lol.

IMG_7596.jpg

These buds cured into this (the big wet one is still drying - can't wait for it :laughing:):

IMG_7881.jpg

EastFortRock

I decided to grow some outdoor this year next to a very dusty lot. Will rinsing branches in buckets actually get the dust off? Do you take the fan leaves off first ? Does this reduce terpenes?

Latest posts

Latest posts