What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zeke99 PPK thread

zeke99

Any more updates? I'm on day 32 of 12/12 and looking around the size of yours. Not really looking any better or worse than my coco dtw runs so far, I suspect I didn't trim enough sucker shoots. Looked as if I did but stretch far exceeded my coco runs so they blew up like crazy

So far buds looking of a similar size and quality. In saying that I ran into major high humidity due to so much standing water and larger plant size, which I've now rectified with a bad ass $495 iso-max fan (yeah we pay out our asses down here for stuff). Top off res is running out so much faster now with this fan, hopefully due to plants drinking more than evaporation. I'm down to 2 days between fills

Ahh well at least it's still easier not having to hand water all the time

i'm going to start trimming next week. will take take photos with the lamps off. i can't figure out how to take good photos with the lamps on. I switched the top bulb to a 1000 MH for the last two weeks. Gonna let them go 9 weeks this time. Fans are yellowing this time around. I trimmed off a lot more of the would be larf this time around.

zeke99

Here are the two (out of 4) remaining plants in my big tent. I mostly used twine to support the branches. This one is falling over and down.

picture.php

picture.php

These plants have been a pleasure to trim. Very high flower to leaf ratio. Dense buds. Love the dark orange and purple colors that developed during the last days. The plants in the big tent ended up flowering for 67 days, 10 more than the original seedling run. I don't know what the yield is, but can already say that this is the highest overall quality harvest in my ten years as a grower.

I trimmed "backside" and low larf much more aggressively in this run. I also topped the cuttings - the width of these plants was perfect.

Last edited:
H

Huckster79

Im intrigued and thinking of trying this. If I want to try this on a single bucket I can do so with just the single resevoir and not the control bucket and such? I'm thinking a low flat tote as I have hight constrictions and don't want to double up buckets. Is there a ratio of how much "extra" water/nute mix you should have in comparison to plant container size? I"m thinking of 5 gallon grow bucket probably not filled to top, so say 4 gallons worth of coco. The flat tote I was looking at was 9 gallons-I'm thinking plant is gunna drink that up aweful fast at peak flower and I'd still be handwatering a lot to keep it full, which is okay as its gunna be an expirement run on one plant/bucket to see if I like it, but is that enough "extra" to be effective?

Do you ever have to change the water or just keep adding as it uses it?

Last edited:

Thirdtime

Not sure if anyone has ran straight coco, think it holds water longer. maybe 50/50 coco/perlite. Not sure about the rest, your description is kind of vague. Need 3 containers really one plant, one beneath the plant and a feed bucket. Not sure if just 2 would work, how would you check the water level in the bottom? How tall is the 9 gallon flat tote?

H

Huckster79

Oh I could add some perlite if need be, I thought another thread I read several used strait coco.... The tote looked to be 6-7" tall. It was a clear tote, I figured I would paint the outside as I know it can't be clear, but figured if I put a thin piece of masking tape like a 1/4" wide vertically on it, before I spray painted it, then I would have a little "Fuel guage" to see the water level.

H

Huckster79

Im building my single site ppk unit today! Really looking forward to trying this. I got two gals from clone that are as identical as you can get gunna do one ppk and one my old handwatered way. Im sold on the concept just want to see the difference.... got most of my supplu and jacks has arrived. Im looking forward to trying something new

zeke99

The big tent yielded two pounds of of big dense THC laden buds. No larf. I'm very happy with that.

Summary of changes from round 1 to round 2: Clones instead of seedlings. Pulse wave every 30 minutes instead of every 90 minutes. 9 weeks of 12/12 instead of 8. Temperature and humidity were aligned and in the VPD ranges for nearly the entire grow (all of 12/12). Removed a shitload more of the back and low growth. Added the 400w lower bulb mid-way through 12/12.

In round 3, I will add the 400w lower bulb earlier.

H

Huckster79

Hey guys i got started. Just used my plain tap till i figured out a plan, so started high by ur guys numbers, i started w 1/2 tsp jacks and 1/2 tsp of calnit, with 350ppm water. I checked the res a couple days in and it was at 2000!! Now shes lived a few months in veg before i built this rig, so im assuming its build up from then, but that surprises me i feed light!

I bought a filter thats getting me down to about 35ppm. Im flushing now w tap just to try to get the container of coco close to my tap water then wasnt sure if i shud flush again with filtered or just mix up jacks w the filtered and start again, and let the difference work its way tnrough...

Now shouldnt ppm go down over time i this system as she uses it up, or not cuz shes using the water too? I recall reading it in a ppk thread about it, somewhere but forget now,

zeke99

Hey guys i got started. Just used my plain tap till i figured out a plan, so started high by ur guys numbers, i started w 1/2 tsp jacks and 1/2 tsp of calnit, with 350ppm water. I checked the res a couple days in and it was at 2000!! Now shes lived a few months in veg before i built this rig, so im assuming its build up from then, but that surprises me i feed light!

I bought a filter thats getting me down to about 35ppm. Im flushing now w tap just to try to get the container of coco close to my tap water then wasnt sure if i shud flush again with filtered or just mix up jacks w the filtered and start again, and let the difference work its way tnrough...

Now shouldnt ppm go down over time i this system as she uses it up, or not cuz shes using the water too? I recall reading it in a ppk thread about it, somewhere but forget now,

I just started a new job and at a new gym and am ramping up for my last grow at this location. If you have questions about the PPK, you should join the discussion here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=336515

zeke99

In my final grow at this location and for the foreseeable future, I pulled 38 ounces from the big tent. No larf, just dense buds. I am very happy with the quality. It's a bitter-sweet ending. I finally got the PPK dialed-in, in combination with my understanding of the importance of the growing environment.