What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zeke99 PPK thread

zeke99

Hey bro....That number 2 is a production gift from the good Lord......That`s the first "indica" I`ve ever seen with 50/50 hybrid leaves , but I`ve been wrong before.....

The plants did grow bush style in balls thru veg , but looks like # 2 did more Xmas tree style thru end of stretch and cycle.....Good job of cleanin out the backs and innards cuz it only promotes more swellage to all laterals and top colas.....anyways....

Hope harvey`s good to yas Zeke....PPK`s dialed can do big things with proper watts per sq ft and dialed environment.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:....

#1 and #2 will yield pretty well, but the other three were much smaller. I am happy with the quality. Now that I know what the stretch is going to be, I can dial in the clones of #2 in the next run. They will be grown larger before the flip. One piece that needs to be added is a humidifier. This is a vented (unsealed room) on the 2nd floor. Luckily the temps. in August were manageable, but it was a pain in the ass making daily adjustments with the exhaust, the intake, the window banger in order to keep the temperature in-line. I think it will be easier to manage in the fall and winter. I'm going to add a thermostat for the intake as well. A few changes coming up.

I'm confused by your question. A drain at the top of the top bucket?

Yes, hose draining to bottom bucket so one could flood as much as they like and it can never overflow the top bucket. Kind of like the overflow drain at the top of your bathroom sink

Nice grow btw, sorry this probably isn't the right place I was just high as and lost..

zeke99

Yes, hose draining to bottom bucket so one could flood as much as they like and it can never overflow the top bucket. Kind of like the overflow drain at the top of your bathroom sink

Nice grow btw, sorry this probably isn't the right place I was just high as and lost..

Thank you!

I can't really answer your questions. I mean, that wouldn't be a PPK. PPK uses the tailpiece as a two-way wick from top to bottom and vice versa. I don't know if what you're proposing would be an improvement. It's not that difficult to dial in the pulse!

I meant it as a safeguard but have realised this would interfere with the natural vacuum effect created when the pump reduces water level of buckets

I'm switching to this method as I just don't have time for hand watering coco DTW any more. I'll see how easy it is to dial pulse and keep this idea in mind if I have any troubles. Still be the exact same ppk, just with this addition (whether better or worse)

Say it takes an average of 1 min to completely saturate media, I could set my timer for 2 mins knowing any extra will drain back to bottom bucket. That said I won't do it unless I have problems dialing pulse...

Last edited:

zeke99

Hey bro....That number 2 is a production gift from the good Lord......That`s the first "indica" I`ve ever seen with 50/50 hybrid leaves , but I`ve been wrong before.....

The plants did grow bush style in balls thru veg , but looks like # 2 did more Xmas tree style thru end of stretch and cycle.....Good job of cleanin out the backs and innards cuz it only promotes more swellage to all laterals and top colas.....anyways.....

After trimming, I now know that I can do a better job of cleaning out the innards on the next run.

zeke99

So I just finished my first harvest in quite some time. The nugs were frosty, but I am unhappy with the size and yield.

Hoping to receive constructive criticism.

Speed of green

First off pat yourself on the back, you made it to a successful harvest and have what looks to be some fine green to enjoy.

good job!

now...

you cut these down at 54 days from 12/12? i think that might be a place to start on your yield suffering. I normally start counting flower days after the flower sites begin to form, 7-14 days after 12/12. most of my bulking happens in the last 2-3 weeks. What most breeders print on the seed pack is a marketing tool to sell more seeds, all of my hybrid strains go to 65-75 days, some longer depending on what the trichs are telling.

The plants look healthy and happy throughout their cycle, all the equipment and environment look proper, do you check your air gap occasionally at the plant sites? i had a bad float once that wouldnt fill unless the volume rez was almost completely full. i had a lackluster harvest because my air gap was about 2" too large, the medium drying down caused my e.c to spike and the plants stalled.

Other than this i would recommend running the same strain a couple rounds to familiarize yourself with the individual needs of the plant. it it possible to prune the undergrowth more and train the tops for more flower sites? i like to start topping early, like 3rd node from clone. i try to get the plant looking like a jewish candle holder. dredle? menora? one of those.

I ran a couple vert rooms two years ago and honestly the best i ever did was .7 GPW This was with single 1000w donuts, the more advanced vert guys swear by Stacked lighting (400/600 - 600/600 - 600/1000 1000/1000) depending on your existing equipment, the overlap and two light sources eliminate alot of shadowing and definitely produce larger yields. My 1000w donuts and screens required tons of training and tying that work great on a hobby scale but its a nighmare on 16k

you're on the right track, there is a possibility you may get more input and exposure by posting this in the "indoor grow hydro" section, and i'd direct any questions that pertains to plant training or vert lighting in general to the vert section.

good luck!

zeke99

First off pat yourself on the back, you made it to a successful harvest and have what looks to be some fine green to enjoy.

good job!

thank you!

now...

you cut these down at 54 days from 12/12? i think that might be a place to start on your yield suffering. I normally start counting flower days after the flower sites begin to form, 7-14 days after 12/12. most of my bulking happens in the last 2-3 weeks. What most breeders print on the seed pack is a marketing tool to sell more seeds, all of my hybrid strains go to 65-75 days, some longer depending on what the trichs are telling.

Yes, I did cut the first plant down at 54 days, but it's hairs were orange / red and something like 15% of the trichs had changed color. The other plants appear to matured at a slightly slower pace. I was going for peak THC.

The plants look healthy and happy throughout their cycle, all the equipment and environment look proper, do you check your air gap occasionally at the plant sites? i had a bad float once that wouldnt fill unless the volume rez was almost completely full. i had a lackluster harvest because my air gap was about 2" too large, the medium drying down caused my e.c to spike and the plants stalled.

Yes, I did check the air gap in each site. One problem that was ongoing was roots growing through the tailpiece. I need to check that more often. I am also switching to a squat 3 gallon container with a 2" tailpiece.

Other than this i would recommend running the same strain a couple rounds to familiarize yourself with the individual needs of the plant. it it possible to prune the undergrowth more and train the tops for more flower sites? i like to start topping early, like 3rd node from clone. i try to get the plant looking like a jewish candle holder. dredle? menora? one of those.

I ran a couple vert rooms two years ago and honestly the best i ever did was .7 GPW This was with single 1000w donuts, the more advanced vert guys swear by Stacked lighting (400/600 - 600/600 - 600/1000 1000/1000) depending on your existing equipment, the overlap and two light sources eliminate alot of shadowing and definitely produce larger yields. My 1000w donuts and screens required tons of training and tying that work great on a hobby scale but its a nighmare on 16k

Yes, I am going to grow this strain, specifically cuttings of one particular plant. Does topping promote more budsite growth or only affect the shape. I am going to add a second bulb to the tent and

you're on the right track, there is a possibility you may get more input and exposure by posting this in the "indoor grow hydro" section, and i'd direct any questions that pertains to plant training or vert lighting in general to the vert section.

good luck!

thank you!

zeke99

First a quick smoke report. I cured for a month (jars sealed shut straight through) after roughly 1 week of drying time.

It's clear to me now that I had two phenos from the first two packs of seeds. There are no major differences among the buds from plants 2-5. Those buds are dense, coated in THC, very tasty, smooth and pretty.

The buds from plant 1 are pretty good, don't really just compare to the rest.

Here are four clones of from plant 2 in the big tent.
Differences this time around - 1k HPS since transplant into the PPK. The plants were topped once, on the day that I flipped to 12/12. Wave pulse of 1 quart every 30 minutes. EC 1.2 - 1.4. This is day 8 of 12/12.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

zeke99

This is my small tent. 3' x 3' with 1 400 HPS. A clone from plant two (left) and a clone of plant one (right).

Handwater from the same bulk res., roughly twice daily, also 8 days from 12/12.

picture.php

Shit I thought I was pulse feeding a lot at every 3 hours. Must have been a while since I read up on ppk's. I'm using a regular old timer which only has 10 settings, would it be advisable to invest in a new timer and bump it up some?

Actually disregard that last question - my medium bucket size relative to plant size will be bigger, my medium is different, nutes different, bucket is nesting, it's more like I've stolen a bunch of ideas from a ppk and used what I could to make something similar

Just can't source all that good shit you guys got on your side of the world...

zeke99

My girls (the clones of #2), this time around, are consuming a SHIT TON more water.

It was one thing when I was wave-pulsing every 30 minutes, but I slowed that to every 90 minutes on Tuesday and they still powered through the volume tank in just a few days.

zeke99

Day 26 of 12/12

3 out of the 4 plants in my big tent

Hooked up the lower bulb (400w HPS) a few days ago.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

What size tent is that? I'm jelly, finding 4x4 not quite enough... 5x5 would be sweet.

zeke99

A few notes about this round:

This is a second floor apartment, so it's generally warmer than if it was on the first floor. I do not supplement CO2 with either a burner or a tank.

The first round was during the summer and I was managing the environment on a daily basis. The exhaust fan in the big tent was ducted to a window in the bedroom. Sometimes the door to the bedroom was shut and I used a window AC for additional cooling. During many days I was able to turn the window AC off and use an intake window fan (especially during 12/12 when the lamps were only turned on at night). We did not have an exceptionally warm summer. The nights were mostly comfortable.

During the 2nd round veg, I was still managing the temps on a daily basis, occasionally with a window AC. On other days, daily and sometimes twice daily adjustments were made using a switchable window fan, using both the exhaust and intake functions.

About the time that I flipped to 12/12 in this round, it became cool enough in general that I had to stop venting the tent out the window.

By now I have removed the window AC and the window fan. The windows are locked and covered. The door to the bedroom is left open. In order to accommodate the 2nd bulb in the big tent and to vent the tent out of the bedroom, I disconnected the carbon filter from the ceiling of the tent.

The carbon filter is now standing up on the floor of the tent, against a wall, but in the middle of the wall (not a corner). The exhaust fan is on top and this is directly below an exhaust port. A short run of ducting runs up and out of the port and is aimed through the bedroom door. The grow is now heating and humidfying my apartment. I opened up two intake ports on the opposite side of the tent, which is the far side of the bedroom away from the door.

There is a second tent in the room, with a single 400w HPS. The intake and exhaust ports are on opposite sides from the big tent, thus preventing light pollution.

Both tents are blooming, on opposite schedules; therefore lamps are on 24 hours a day.

The bedroom, with the door open, has stayed within the realm of 72 to 75 F. The leaf surface temps closest to the bulb in the small tent are usually 8 degrees F higher when the ballasts are powered on. The leaf surface temps closest to the bulbs in the big tent are usually 5 degrees F higher when the ballasts are powered on. Very consistent on a day-to-day, night-to-night basis. Thankfully, I am no longer making daily adjustments.

Again, there is no CO2 supplementation, not even fresh air from an open window. The plants are flourishing.

Any more updates? I'm on day 32 of 12/12 and looking around the size of yours. Not really looking any better or worse than my coco dtw runs so far, I suspect I didn't trim enough sucker shoots. Looked as if I did but stretch far exceeded my coco runs so they blew up like crazy

So far buds looking of a similar size and quality. In saying that I ran into major high humidity due to so much standing water and larger plant size, which I've now rectified with a bad ass $495 iso-max fan (yeah we pay out our asses down here for stuff). Top off res is running out so much faster now with this fan, hopefully due to plants drinking more than evaporation. I'm down to 2 days between fills

Ahh well at least it's still easier not having to hand water all the time