What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane/Propane Mix

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I concur, that is indeed, one answer ;)

I noticed my slabs last night had a redish tint to them. Is that indicative of hectane or one of the other byproducts aforementioned?
I have found water and/or alcohol contamination causes chlorophyll contamination in the solution. Fluorescent lighting (blue and violet) causes chlorophyll extracts to fluoresce a pale red.
UVA isolates the fluorescence because we cannot see UVA, allowing a clear definition of color. THC fluoresces green.
Solutions are checked with a UVA narrow beam flashlight for color of beam. Red or pink is contaminated. Deepness of green allows estimating yield.

707Guy

Eureka oxygen here in Humboldt CA. I'm not sure where they source it from.

Eureka? You're very close to me my man. I just got my first closed loop last week and would love some tips. We should get together and dab up and talk tech sometime!

HWY36

Eureka? You're very close to me my man. I just got my first closed loop last week and would love some tips. We should get together and dab up and talk tech sometime!

Not sure if there's a way to private message. If there is, send me your number.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Using a specific gravity hydrometer to check solvent purity was so simple and easy I bought one for the LPG range.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQOCNKY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My thinking is if you test your pure n-butane before ever using it, you'll have a dry figure to compare against to check for moisture contamination. It also could be used to check blend proportions.

Here's a table showing densities of common solvents, notice the values are unique and distanced from each other,

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/chemis...ter/technical-library/solvent-properties.html

Butane's density is stated at about 0.600 and propane's about 0.500, but you'd need to find the values at the boiling points as that would be where you'd test them.

Attachments

• P1030821.jpg
    P1030821.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 7
  • P1030817.jpg
    P1030817.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: