What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheap, corded hair trimmers for bud trimming?

T

TreehouseJ

I trimmed up the line (echo brand weed wacker line), and tried taking video of myself fine trimming some flarf up, but the only nugs I have to trim right now are too small to really see whats going on, at least not in this lighting or with this camera. This thing is pretty much a dream come true. You have to have good hands since it cuts through bud like a lightsaber, but this is a non issue for me. It seems as though I will be able to get my dremel weed to look as good if not better than it's scissor trimmed counterpart.

Attachments

• Photo on 9-18-16 at 3.02 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 9-18-16 at 3.02 PM #2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 13
There's no way those hair clippers will be even remotely effective. They're going to ruin bud, knock trichs all over the place and create a mess. The teeth are too small to cut even small stems or leaves.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I trimmed up the line (echo brand weed wacker line), and tried taking video of myself fine trimming some flarf up, but the only nugs I have to trim right now are too small to really see whats going on, at least not in this lighting or with this camera. This thing is pretty much a dream come true. You have to have good hands since it cuts through bud like a lightsaber, but this is a non issue for me. It seems as though I will be able to get my dremel weed to look as good if not better than it's scissor trimmed counterpart.

You're going to put an eye out.:biggrin:

Chemdawggy Dawg

The speedeetrim with butterfly blade is the way to go. They work like a mf. The weed looks just like you used scissors as long as you are careful and don't get into the buds. They improve time by about 1/3 and are way easier on your back and hands. They are well worth the money.

T

TreehouseJ

You're going to put an eye out.:biggrin:

I was definitely planning on wearing protective eyewear in a few weeks when it comes time to trim my plants. I am running it at the lowest rpm allowable. The line has little edges that really help it slice so there really seems to be no benefit from running it any higher. The line was crimped tightly into the crimp-butt connecter with an actual crimper. I can tug and pull on the connector and it doesn't budge. I always hang from anything I hang, jump on anything that's supposed to support weight, kick anything thats supposed to stay upright, and yank apart anything that is supposed to stay together. This bit withstood all the yanking, jerking, and high rpm I could throw at it. There is definitely a better way to do this, or at least there has to be a better way to connect the crimp-butt connecter to the dremel. I just haven't put enough thought into yet.

T

TreehouseJ

I think I'm probably just going to solder some mini chains onto a bit to create a broader striking surface, like the buddfly. Just seems like the right thing to do.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
mini-nunchucks

man, it's funny to think about using those hair trimmers for weed, when I always think about them being used to give a jarhead a haircut.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I think I'm probably just going to solder some mini chains onto a bit to create a broader striking surface, like the buddfly. Just seems like the right thing to do.

How about a trimmed down guitar string? They already have a brass bead with a hole in it- would fit right on a bit. They come in different thicknesses, and they come in steel or nylon.

T

TreehouseJ

How about a trimmed down guitar string? They already have a brass bead with a hole in it- would fit right on a bit. They come in different thicknesses, and they come in steel or nylon.

I go through a pack a week. Getting poked by the steel ones is a nightmare. Nylon string sounds like a really good idea, but I don't think any of them come with the ball heads that you find on steel string. If I can find a nylon string with a brass head that can be soldered to a dremel bit, I'm buying it f'sho. A larger gauge low E or A might have enough flex and a large enough diameter to not inflict any serious damage to my hands, I'll try that.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
You're right, all the nylon strings I've seen have a knot instead of a bead. What about zip ties? They work for a weed wackier, and they are cheap.

T

TreehouseJ

I thought about this also. I'll definitely be testing every possible option before I give up or settle come trimming time.

The speedeetrim with butterfly blade is the way to go. They work like a mf. The weed looks just like you used scissors as long as you are careful and don't get into the buds. They improve time by about 1/3 and are way easier on your back and hands. They are well worth the money.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys54STmZftU[/FONT]

They look quick, but as far as quality goes.... That video above makes me cringe, look how many times the bud is being gouged.

I'll stick with scissors as monotonous as it may be. It's cleaner and more accurate, IMO. The time saved using electric trimmers never seems to be worth it unless you're trimming multiple pounds at once. Of course, I don't have any issues with arthritis or anything but I can clearly see how some people would prefer electric trimmers.