What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Xtractor Depot

Old Gold

I could use a 3" and 2" hopper, but I haven't even used those columns for like a year now.

How much material does a 6"x36" column hold?

Yeah, I almost turned an old 3" x 36" into molecular seive haha. 2" column?! What a hassle..
I haven't packed it full of nugs yet, but the 6" x 36" held 8lbs of finer trim. I usually get aound 4.5lbs in there.

BigJohnny

Yeah, I almost turned an old 3" x 36" into molecular seive haha. 2" column?! What a hassle..
I haven't packed it full of nugs yet, but the 6" x 36" held 8lbs of finer trim. I usually get aound 4.5lbs in there.

ya 2" is the 1lb tube, at this point it's useless to bother with the time and effort required to run a lb and get the small amount that collects in the pot.

my 4x36 column holds 4lbs of bud if I either pack it tightly or grind it up before packing.

I'd like to get something to let me maybe run through 6lbs at a time. But i'd be happy being able to dump 4lbs in without having to pack it at all.

Like I mentioned in a couple of other threads, I've got some stuff I'm trying to get out of the way and then I might just upgrade my CLS to something bigger/newer/better.

TheArchitect

Veteran
received my order today.

it was packaged very well, all male threaded components had thread protectors, the collection pot and jacketed platter were protected with fabric similar to smart pots.

quality looks to be good, i disassembled the 1/2" ball valves to clean and they are nice, the ss is nice and polished, fittings look good.

all around i would do business with them again, they have great prices on a few things, shipping was quick and components are of satisfactory quality.

sorry pics are sideways.

BigJohnny

Just got my hopper, and I have to say I'm very pleased. It's heavy ass steel, not a triclamp ferrule welded to sheet metal. even the "rolled" edge is actually a heavy solid piece.

It looks like what they may have done is either welded a 10" ferrule to the large side and just filled in the gasket channel with weld then ground it smooth, OR they just welded a bead around the large side then ground it smooth.

It's very well constructed for just a hopper/funnel. My only complaint is that they used those god forsaken packing peanuts.... I hate packing peanuts they get everywhere and make a huge mess.

Makes fairrly decent hat as well, my neighbors sure got a show when I got out of my car with this on my head because I was carrying other shit too.

BigJohnny

Quality Steel and super fast order processing and shipping. Two thumbs up.

how do we know it's quality steel? I simply said it was heavy, but unless we know where it comes from it could be cheap chinese stainless that'll rust because it wasn't alloyed to western standards.

for me though it doesn't matter, I just got a big heavy funnel but recovery pots and stuff I'd definitely want to know what the actual quality of steel is that they use.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is there any way to test it? It's raining outside, should I put some fittings in the yard and wait for rust?

Even if the alloy mix is correct, 300 series stainless can rust if it isn't in a solution annealed condition, because the chromium can be tied up with the carbon as carbides.

The typical test for corrosion is salt spray. Spray salt water on it and wait.

Old Gold

The first 6" x 6" collection pot I had definitely shows minor corrosion after lots of use. A ring all the way around, right near the edge where the base is welded onto spool.

FishmanK

Is there any way to test it? It's raining outside, should I put some fittings in the yard and wait for rust?
reaction to this issue would be to think how it might be annealed properly and then just fire it in a digitally controlled oven to make sure the annealing was correct

would this take a ramp-and soak segment controller?
"are the temp periods for annealing and temp levels super critical to +-1 degree or? and what are the temps involved?", would be my thoughts/questions.
that and, what is "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]solution annealed"?[/FONT]
chemical treatment to untie the chromium?

FishmanK

sorry kind of off the extractor depot subject...
I went back there and saw more and think maybe my browser needs updating because I had had problems w the navigation on the menus
they have much more than I had seen the first time there
heh

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The first 6" x 6" collection pot I had definitely shows minor corrosion after lots of use. A ring all the way around, right near the edge where the base is welded onto spool.

The weld zone is typically where rust will show up, because it was welded after it was solution annealed. A higher grade of stainless, containing more chromium, or a low carbon L grade, is typically used if post weld heat treat isn't feasible.

Xtractor_Depot

Hello ICMag!

Hello ICMag!

Hello ICMag members!

We are excited to bring some much needed service and products to this industry! We aim to bring the best customer service and the most efficiently designed products on the market at a competitive price. We are developing more and more products by the week and we will be showcasing them here on the website. Stay tuned as we are designing products with award-winning xtractors and bringing innovative products to the market.

Thanks guys!

Schmetty87

This place is pretty awesome actually.

They are making some changes to their systems in the future that will be much desired options for some of us using deeper collection pots.

The fittings selection is pretty good but knowing what i know about my options for fittings i'm getting pretty close to machining a 316l manifold myself to negate as many fitting as possible. Fewer connections mean fewer potential leaks the way i see it.

The jacketed solvent tanks are pretty damn nice and I plan to get one sooner than later. They stock the CPS TRS21 and will bore the heads for bigger fittings for a small fee if you ask. They also have the CMEP-OL with all the fixes and the vacuum pump and oven selection is pretty awesome.

They also stock a good amount of distillation gear as well.

For me the only burden is the 2-3 hr drive out there. Other than that this place is great and seems to be improving constantly. I cant wait till they finish the new lid design i heard about as it will save me the worry about oil laden butane getting into the recovery pump because by dip tubes are too short.

toohighmf

Veteran
Just went today for some 70/30 mix and grabbed some hoses & other shit. Great store. Very helpful, knowledgable staff. Mark was extremely helpful, and cool AF! I really liked their collection pots with inner walls that you can run warm water through for passive recovery. Manifolds had beautiful welds. I forgot to grab filters, so I'll order some instead of driving 1.5 hours, but they will definitely get some business from me.

Schmetty87

I just placed and order and this is now the second time something was listed in stock on the website only to receive a call the next day that the item was out about a week or more. Another time an item I needed was listed as unavailable but when I called they had plenty in stock and fixed the stock levels in real time so I could place my order.

This so far is my only gripe with Extractor depot and considering how much they have been working to have a more complete selection of everything we need I think its only a matter of time before everything is totally on point.

Just keep in mind it might be wise to call ahead and double check to make sure what you need is in stock to avoid any issues if your working on time constraints.

cheezhead

Anyone gotten a "rig" from them lately? Has everyone still been happy with the quality etc? Just curious how they're still doing...