What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Air Compressor Questions/Answers

Jeff at IR

I can't stand spammers and people who post for the benefit of advertisement but this seems to be the honest angle of education on technologies used and the relativity to products in production.

Smart business knows how to use the spread of information to help create an informed and thus discriminating customer base.

Well see how it goes. I don't think IR sells direct, but this is an assumption. If so and he is really paid by IR direct, it is interesting to see a directive like this manifest.

Well... To answer your questions... I am an air engineer with IR out of the Denver Customer Center. Depending on the location within the country (or world for that matter) and the industrial population/need, IR sells through dealers, resellers, and direct. Some businesses even buy IR and resell on line in large volume but low margin. (beware of these online warehouses... warranty issues have been known to exist)

Most of what I do are with more custom applications of 50HP and above, but in Colorado (with the growth of the industry) I get a lot of inquiries about running the Haskell pumps (or similar). So I took it upon myself to learn about the business, process, etc. As an engineer I like to learn (and teach) so I will talk with most businesses direct as a technical resource for a reseller that buys from me or if it is a direct call I can sell direct. If out of my territory, I will then guide the end user to whom they can contact for start up assistance or service.

Long and the short... I will answer all questions and provide 'generic' information on line based upon my specs and capabilities. At that point, people can shop around or from me. If I help businesses and that helps me... it isn't a bad thing.

This is a new aspect/approach to what I normally do and I am enjoying it. So I too can't wait to see where it goes.

bradasshaircut

Hey Jeff, thank you for answering our compressor questions. You're awesome. So I own a Haskel and don't have spare electricity for a refrigerated dryer. I have a Numatics P32B-04G Particulate Filter/Regulator but what else do you recommend? The compressor is a Chicago Pneumatic 5-HP 60-Gallon Dual-Voltage Two-Stage and lives inside.

Jeff at IR

The premium answer is a modular desiccant dryer. Runs on typical 115/1/60 power and uses chemical drying. For a dryer like this you are in a $3000 price point. Very premium product but typical applications are labs or chemical processes that need -40F dew point.

The other option after refrigerated dryer would be filters. Before your Numatics you could install a General purpose and then a High Efficiency filter. The GP filter removes oil, water, dust, metal particles and pipescale. Solids are removed down to 0.1 micron and liquids down to 0.03 mg/m3. The HE filter then takes it to the next level. Removing particles down to 0.01 micron and liquids down to 0.008 mg/m3.

These filters both come with automatic drains and you only have to replace the element and not the entire housing.

For 22 scfm flow, you are looking at FA40IG (GP) and FA40IH (HE) and list price is $185 each. So this solution is about $370 + tax/shipping.

Jeff at IR

Compressed air is awesome

Compressed air is awesome

Seriously, if you have any compressed air applications for extraction or processing applications, please feel free to ask.

Jeff @ IR
:tiphat:

Would something like this get the job done on a EXT420? Price seems pretty low, so i'm trying to figure out what the catch is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2016-HW...360588?hash=item44035f690c:g:gHUAAOSwIzNXPP8C

I doubt that Jeff at IR is going to endorse a questionable Chinese rotary screw compressor, even if it is good. Personally I'm highly suspect of the quality (remember the adage "you get what you pay for") and the longevity of components involved (can't tell from pictures what kind of deburring/polishing/tolerances were used to assemble that thing, and just ask anyone with a CMEP pump sometimes compressors are a pennywise, pound foolish investment).

Another thing to consider is how long the company that is making these and selling parts will be around, and how good the documentation is to support it. IR, CP, Quincy, Kaeser and others have been around for a long time and built a reputation on reliability and quality, and I can still get parts for some out of production, old stuff from any of them. The same cannot be said about many other companies that have gone by the wayside. I don't like to spend thousands on ANYTHING just to have it be too troublesome to fix and have to spend thousands more to replace it a short time later.

Cadfael

Jeff, If you are out there still. Please contact me. I have a 7.5 hp 80 gal tank air comp (northern tool) about to go to a EXT 420 and would like some information about the least expensive route to make good quality dry air.

Can I get away with a good desiccant dryer? Being in inland So Cal at 3000 feet?

Jeff at IR

@Cadfael Extractor Pumps (like Haskel and similar) typically do not require desiccant quality dry air... only refrigerated. Some refrigerated dryers will dry down to a 38F dew point and others 50F. Being in SoCal, the 50F dryer would do fine for your location.

Jeff at IR

There was a previous post about 'you get what you pay for'. That homage is pretty standard. When buying compressors, not all are created equal. Make sure you know what you need. The ebay model did not have a dryer, filtration, or receiver. You also need to make sure you have the power available. Rotary compressors over 7.5 HP are usually 3 phase and if you don't have it... you will likely need a 7.5 for 208v/single or a couple.