What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Short Path Distillation

Neos is not a cannabis friendly company. If I remember right that machine is 30k.

Our company spoke with them in regards to purchasing a machine for the cannabis industry. They essentially told us that they do not work with anybody in our industry, but quoted us 35k for the unit.
We even went so far to supply them with our practicing physician license, and pharmacist license, in hopes that we could sway their opinion of our company. They never responded.

How much isomerization to d8-THC have distillers been getting?

Running a distillation with an inadequate pump I have received test results about 28 percent d9. Our testing lab doesn't report d8 unfortunatley. When we contacted the lab about the results the chromatogram showed a spike on d8 as high on d9.

The oil was co2 extracted distilled onc then distilled again, the product was clear yellow and great looking. I was shocked when the test results came back so low and I see no difference in the effectsof the oil that was equal parts d9/d8 vs an oil that is mostly d9. Except that the high D8 was a creeper high for sure.

River_Ramblin

I have seen Delta-8 as high as 3%. I had one of my fist batches test out with 15.3 CBN. The interesting thing with this batch was the THC content was very low 23.61% and there was about 40% of the batch that was unidentified. as well as having a CBG-A 1.88 and 5.93 CBG. After finding the best molar weight data could, there was nowhere enough CBG to make those % if the data I found was correct. I was able to trace this to a leaky seal and have been in the 90-95% range since. Any thoughts Joe?

What pump are you guys running for your short paths? I've heard 10 microns was necessary so we ordered a CPS VP4D for our test sled. We're now doubting if that will be enough vacuum. I'm guessing a vacuum controller would be necessary for consistency as well.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Any thoughts Joe?

Sacrifices to the chemistry gods. They're demanding bastards.

What pump are you guys running for your short paths? I've heard 10 microns was necessary so we ordered a CPS VP4D for our test sled. We're now doubting if that will be enough vacuum. I'm guessing a vacuum controller would be necessary for consistency as well.

When THC is coming over in the 140-160°C range, everything is perfect. You'll probably be wanting a heavier pump for that. 50 microns would be fine on most pumps that have fresh oil and weigh 200 pounds. Vacuum control isn't as important as controlling the temperature and doing what you can to do fractional distillation.

Rickys bong

Veteran
I'd be surprized if that pump will actually get to 10microns / 10 milliTorr. Yer gonna need a bigger pump than that. Look for an Edwards or Welch or other high end pump with better CFM. You'll need proper instrumentation as well.

RB

gbtrev

Can someone link some suitable options for pumps. Looking at some welch duo seal pumps would that be sufficient?

gbtrev

Looking at the 1400's+ but when people have posted pic of the vac's being tested (used) to show they work, I noticed it didn't look like they're even pulling as deep as a normal rotary vane 2 stage pump. Could have been due to a leak on whatever it was hooked to i guess or could it just because it's an older pump? Before i buy one i want to make sure its what is needed for the job

gbtrev

Model 1400 is effective for drying using large manifolds (Shlenk lines). 25 lpm flow rate enables
thorough drying while providing sufficient cold trap residence time to allow solvents to
condense. With ultimate vacuum <0.001 torr, Model 1400 is also suitable for many
concentrating, drying, and degassing operations as well as rotary evaporation of low-volatility
solvents.
Model 1405 provides versatile effectiveness for drying operations throughout the laboratory.
With ultimate vacuum <0.001 torr, and maximum 90 lpm flow, use Model 1405 for vacuum
ovens (to 4.5 ft3
), small metal glove boxes, etc.
Model 1402 provides versatile effectiveness for drying operations throughout the laboratory.
With ultimate vacuum <0.001 torr, and maximum 160 lpm flow, Model 1402 is the pump of
choice for vacuum ovens (to 9 ft3
), metal glove boxes, and freeze drying of routine samples.
Descriptions of the duo seals seem like any would be good enough correct?

Brot

Heres one for $1500.00 used

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 13

pharmco

I'd be surprized if that pump will actually get to 10microns / 10 milliTorr. Yer gonna need a bigger pump than that. Look for an Edwards or Welch or other high end pump with better CFM. You'll need proper instrumentation as well.

RB

I have one Ricky Bong, and while I have not tested it with anything more accurate than a hg gauge, and I do not have your knowledge of pumps, I know that thing does not pull as hard as the day I got it, and I find it doubtful it ever pulled 10 micron.