What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

plastic pots/vs fabric pots

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i'm 45 days into 12/12 - i put 1 clone into a 5gall fabric pot, and one into a 5gall plastic pot... both r sour diesel kush, same size- i would say that the one is plastic is a touch larger then the one grown in fabric...

has anyone else done a side/side.... after all the hoop-la, i would have thought the fabric would be kickin ass... so far thats not the case...

Easy7

Veteran
I Figure it depends very much if the roots get disturbed in fabric pots. Plastic pots are stable. Yes the soil breathes and dries quicker in fabric, big whoopy doo.

russjcan

I did a side by side a couple of years ago and will never use plastic pots again. I planted seeds in ocean forest with a small plug of light warrior about the size of a dime for the seed. Growth was faster in fabric. Transplanting into ground was a lot easier in fabric. I use a carpet knife to cut the fabric pots away. Some say you can just plant the fabric pots in the ground but the year i did that my yield was cut in half.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I did a side by side a couple of years ago and will never use plastic pots again. I planted seeds in ocean forest with a small plug of light warrior about the size of a dime for the seed. Growth was faster in fabric. Transplanting into ground was a lot easier in fabric. I use a carpet knife to cut the fabric pots away. Some say you can just plant the fabric pots in the ground but the year i did that my yield was cut in half.

interesting... since i'm 3weeks away from cutting, maybe the fab's will catchup n pass the plastic pot... so far tho its plastic by a hair....

18B

In a plastic pot, the roots will circle the outside of the rootbase against the edge of the pot and never re pentetrate the dirt...with a fabric pot the roots will grow to the edge and sort of air trim thus keeping all root ends in the mass of medium.
In my opinion a fabric pot would be best..although I still use plastic pots myself.

amanda88

many growers complain

that they don't get all the soil wet when watering

I suggest you lift the pot

think!

before watering

cheers/

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
There were a lot of things I liked about the fabric pot for indoors but eventually gave them up because the bags were always damp and mold grew on the outside. :tiphat:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
so far ...no mold... but i find that the plastic pot gets dryer then the fab pots...very weird ... i would have thought the plastic would hold moisture longer... each plant gets about 3 quarts of H20 every 3 days... both in 5gall pots..

N

noyd666

I parked my fabric pots up years ago, I like to move my pots around at times and the fabric didn't suit getting pulled about . so back to big plastic tubs. did not see any dif in final results. come to oz and i'll give you 20.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I Figure it depends very much if the roots get disturbed in fabric pots. Plastic pots are stable. Yes the soil breathes and dries quicker in fabric, big whoopy doo.
Sorry! It is not "woopidy doo"!
DSCF0049s.JPG
This is known as an air pot in bonsai circles. Their function is to "root prune" vice roots circling the pot. It forces the roots to back bud for the lack of a better word, creating the fine feeder roots, the ones that actually do all the work.

Unlike what "some" folks believe, a plant is not on an IV. They only drink when they "need" too, just like humans. You drink when thirsty (in this case water loss due to perspiration), and stop when satiated. Plants/tress do the same.

I want you to think of cloth pots as scissors topping off the terminal buds, not unlike what we do to the top. Massive root structure = massive tops and a more efficient plant!

Not only that plants like to remain on the line of moist and dry to be happy. The longer it takes for their "toosies" to warm up, the happier, stress free they become. Need proof! Stand in a basin of water for a day and see if you like it. The feet being an extremity will lower body temp after a period of time. Same thing is happening to the plants. They don't like wet roots.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
In a plastic pot, the roots will circle the outside of the rootbase against the edge of the pot and never re pentetrate the dirt...with a fabric pot the roots will grow to the edge and sort of air trim thus keeping all root ends in the mass of medium.
In my opinion a fabric pot would be best..although I still use plastic pots myself.
Correct!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
There were a lot of things I liked about the fabric pot for indoors but eventually gave them up because the bags were always damp and mold grew on the outside. :tiphat:
You were watering too much IMHO. One thing I do not really like is that using them in an indoor grow, it raises the environment's humidity. No biggy if you have a dehumidifier (greater surface area (whole pot vs just the top)) set up on auto to maintain the desired RH in the tent.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
If your running plastic pots with soil run your rooms drier otherwise you will have problems. Coco doesn't seem to mind the higher vpd especially in cloth because it wants to stay moist but soil growers beware of high vpd and a soaked pot in peat moss. Just learned this the hard way this month lol
VPD? Not familiar with that abbr. :)

hoki2test

Veteran
VPD

VPD

VPD? Not familiar with that abbr. :)

VPD= vapor pressure deviant......I mean vapor pressure deficit....

Vapour-pressure deficit, or VPD, is the difference (deficit) between the amount of moisture in the air and how much moisture the air can hold when it is saturated. Once air becomes saturated, water will condense out to form clouds, dew or films of water over leaves.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
VPD= vapor pressure deviant......I mean vapor pressure deficit....

Vapour-pressure deficit, or VPD, is the difference (deficit) between the amount of moisture in the air and how much moisture the air can hold when it is saturated. Once air becomes saturated, water will condense out to form clouds, dew or films of water over leaves.
Thank you :biggrin: