What's new

Quiting paxil cold turkey

scruffy

Even gradually phasing out my zoloft over a month from 100 mg/day to 50, then 25, then 25 every other day, then nothing- I still had quite a reaction once I quit totally. Took a few days to see any effects, then I had a few episodes of severe anger/rage, while still having the "zings", which weren't as bad as they were quitting cold turkey. They wore off pretty quickly, just hope I don't have another reaction like I did, that was really scary.

Yesterday was the first day that I've actually felt good emotionally in a long, long time. Only thing that changed was getting rid of zoloft. These are exceptionally dangerous drugs that are both overprescribed, and doctors understate or ignore the risks. Guess as long as they get their freebies they don't care. I am so completely and totally disgusted with what passes for medical care in this country!

added: I also wanted to say that I had some "zings" and dizziness last night, a small bowl of FS Ice quieted them nicely. I was able to relax and get some work done. Not to mention that it does help to quell the irritability as well.
Best of luck to everyone trying to beat depression/anxiety, etc.

Last edited:

jarff

I,ve tried paxil,Zoloff,and many others after being diagnosed bi-polar.I was having severe panic attacks.The attacks were so bad I was put in psych ward several times.
I was sick at the time and it took me two yrs to find out I had Hep-C and cirrhosis of the liver.That was after studying my symptoms and I suggested to a doc to check me for Hep C and voila sure enuff I did have it ..then a biopsy confirmed cirrhosis with a time of 2 to 3 yrs before I would need a transplant.That was thirteen yrs ago.I have been in therapy for 10 yrs now on a monthly basis,which I found great as it explaines a lot of the probs I was having.No more SSRI,s ,no more panic attacks and no sign of needing a transplant in the near future.Miracle....I smoke each day but keep it in moderation and have never felt better other then the sickness from the HepC..of which the worst symptom is fatigue..but I have more energy then when I was taking Paxil,etc.The most helpful thing that helped me was to do a lot of reading and understanding what was making me feel the way I was feeling.Knowledge self taught is a lot better the diagnosis from many different doctors.I am finally at peace and enjoy each day...be creful of prescribed meds b,cause they really do have a lot of negative side-effects..and good luck to all who are going thru problems...everything takes time.
jarff

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
bagseed77 said:
i quit taking paxil because i couldnt have an orgasm.talk about
depressing,it gave me mad cottonmouth too.exercise should help make you feel and sleep better,your almost there hold on.

No doubt, one of the main reasons i quit paxil.<---- according to the paxil side effects they list that as sexual disfuntion, that in itself is depressing.

Have you even discussed quitting paxil all together with your doctor?

mindRubber

Ah man, I feel your pain. I quit both Paxil and Effexor cold turkey. I thought I was coming off heroin or something like that. Extreme stomach cramps and lightheaded. Now the worst side effect of coming off of it were the "brain zaps". They were like electrical shocks in my brain whenever I moved my head. Another way I describe it is like that feeling you get sometimes when you are about to fall asleep and you feel like you start to fall but catch yourself. It was like that but in my brain. Sucked! Now I just smoke herb and that fixes the problems I was on the SSRIs for :joint:

emmy75

ive been taking paxil now for about 6 years and am planning to quit 12 months from now. but it definetly was the right drug for me. it cured my panik attacks and MAJOR tension i felt in my body, the hot flashes and my inability to relax. i tried once to quit cold turkey but the tension in my body returned within 4 days and so i got right back on paxil. i started at 10mg and still take that amount.

i have no problems with my sex drive, in fact i have multiple orgasms and over all feel great. its unfortunate that it doesnt work positively for everyone.

i would NEVER think about quitting cold turkey. i dont think its good for ones mind or body. too much of a shock.

but its good to know you want to get off it and i hope things work out, good luck!!

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Digging this thread up from WAY back :bump::bump:

But wanted to share that after close to 15 years being on Paxil off and on....I am officially thru I believe....now I am fortunate enough grow my own meds and gotta say I have not felt this well in LONG time :woohoo:

There should be a lot more feedback / experiences since this thread was last updated so thought I would give it a bump.

My experience......even though I thought Paxil was helping me it really wasn't....SSRI's are not something every doc should be handing out to everyone with a small complaint, etc... :fsu:

What say you? :thinking:

On the stuff for a good 12 years I give up trying to get off the shit I just feel so fucking horrible by the time I get to day 4 or so its just not worth feeling so shitty and who's to say there would be any change if I was off the stuff for even years ? just not worth going through all that.
In the long term I plan to try the nonpsychoactive cannabinoids like CBD as a decarbed oil and dump the paxil, I think this will work there are lots of articles on this type of thing.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
its a rough detox, stick with it

wife was on lexapro for a decade, she was a different human

finally off of it and back to who she used to be

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
effexor is the worst going cold turkey
Supac, what i did to quit was take them
like every 2 days then 3 days slowly ween off.

-green
that stuff was horrible all around .using it and quitting it..absolutely horrible stuff...yeehaw

Green Squall

Digging this thread up from WAY back :bump::bump:

But wanted to share that after close to 15 years being on Paxil off and on....I am officially thru I believe....now I am fortunate enough grow my own meds and gotta say I have not felt this well in LONG time :woohoo:

There should be a lot more feedback / experiences since this thread was last updated so thought I would give it a bump.

My experience......even though I thought Paxil was helping me it really wasn't....SSRI's are not something every doc should be handing out to everyone with a small complaint, etc... :fsu:

What say you? :thinking:

How long did your withdrawals last? Paxil is the only pharm I have ever been on. Probably shouldn't have ever been on it to begin with but them doctors love to hand out prescriptions and I just kept taking it because the withdrawals were so horrendous. Almost 10 years now I think. Thankfully I'm only at 10mg the lowest dose...I think I'm going to give it a final try sometime soon. Can't keep taking this poison.

Last edited:

SecondAttempt

subbed, wife is currently weaning off lamictil... effexor is next then she'll finally be free of all that garbage.

Good luck Green Squall and everyone else... report back and above all STAY STRONG.

Green Squall

ive seen some serious paxil/pot reactions

my dads reaction to it was suicide

Sorry about your dad but that is a pretty bold statement. There is no evidence of SSRI-Cannabis reactions. I'd say it might have been the Paxil alone. It has a tendency to make some people suicidal. Sorry again about your dad.

And fuck GlaxoSmithKline! They have blood on their hands!

Green Squall

For anybody that doesn't know, the reason Paxil and Effexor withdrawals are so much worse compared to other similar drugs is because their half life is super short. Less than 24 hrs I think. Prozac for example is a few days!

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Sorry about your dad but that is a pretty bold statement. There is no evidence of SSRI-Cannabis reactions. I'd say it might have been the Paxil alone. It has a tendency to make some people suicidal. Sorry again about your dad.

And fuck GlaxoSmithKline! They have blood on their hands!

my wife and a buddy blacked out smoking pot shortly after taking paxil

hit the ground

never happened before that

somewhere around 99 - 200o fwiw

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
after my dad committed suicide i went to lawyer

he closed the door and spoke to me in strict confidence

his son was in college and did the same thing, took an anti depressant and killed himself and lawyer dad tackled the pharmaceutical companies only to be subdued by far greater resources.

nothing you can do ...

best part is that my dad got them from his brother, a doctor, who gave him the script under the table, common practice in lives of those with such privilege

he was suicidal when he was younger but no one paid notice, neither did they to his resulting anxiety, but when they where taking his body on the gurney my aunt whispered me to these first words to me upon seeing me

"did you hide the pills?"

nothing more, nothing less, one brother dead why risk another's med license

efficient thinking at its finest

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just as starting the regimen (never full strength), you take half a dose for several weeks, then increase dosage.

Likewise, when weaning off, it's a slow process, decreasing amount slowly...never cold turkey.

Very sorry to hear about your familial experience, Weird.

Paxil (Paroxetene) is never recommended to be stopped abruptly; withdrawal syndrome is caused by this. The symptoms are: dizziness, headache, nausea, sensory disturbances, tremor, anxiety, and dysphoria. While taking this medication already has some risk for suicide, making the decision to halt the medication immediately, is even more dangerous than taking it. Sorry for your loss, Weird.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I stopped taking them cold turkey after being on them for a couple years back in 1999. Doctor seemed to think I needed them I didn't. I was pissed I lost my job over the accident not depressed as fuck about it. Never had a problem. Now being on it was a different story. Could have killed the family and ate dinner in the room with their bodies. Never felt so indifferent about anyone or anything in my life. Had me feeling numb and I hated it so I quit taking the shit and never looked back.