What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When's the best time to harvest seeds?

keshman

I've crossed White Russian with Power Plant and they are pretty much ready, but when is the ideal time to harvest them for optimum germination results? What should I be looking for?

Cheers dudes and dudettes

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I usually find that pollenating halfway through the flower-period gives the optimum balance between available pistil numbers and time to finish the seeds properly. So on a fast indica, at four weeks, and on a longer sativa, more like six. If I'm deliberately making seeds for breeding though, I'd usually give them a week longer than normal, just to be sure they're finished.

But four to five weeks is usually all you'll need on any strain, so just count back from your usual harvest-time for when to do it if you're in a hurry.

H

herbie5000

let them go a week longer than you would normally harvest at, and then the seeds will be optimal for germination. good luck - sounds like a nice cross!

keshman

Thanks for the replies already.

Can you tell me if I should notice anything colourwise on the seeds, such as should they be brwon and dotted/ stripy etc when they are still inside the calyx's or does this normally happen once they've been removed?

I suppose I'm after visual signals to say "harvest me now!"

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just as long as the seeds are dark! :D

As we all notice, different strains react differently, and making seeds is no different. Optimally, nice, dark seeds will be bursting thru their calyxs', but more likely, you'll have to break open a few to determine if they're done.
I always go 6 wks.
Good luck! :yes:

skar

hi,

i second the "let one more week than usual harvest time" recommandation..it always worked well for me.

enjoy to grow your own seeds !

Peace

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Markings/mottling on the seed are no indication of readiness, and will vary from strain to strain - some have none, others have lots - some have mottling that comes off when you rub them together (like Flo).

G

Seeds can vary so much, I just made two crosses usign my Purple Afghan male, the cross to the Thai has produced large pale seeds with no markings, the cross to Jahwi's Joy has produced small, very dark seeds with tiger stripes. Go figure!

T

toodles

These are some SSH x SSH seeds I made earlier this year. I harvested some of these 30 days after pollination. Germ rate was about 1/3. I just stuck them in some potting soil. I've got several thousand seeds from those 3 plants so I don't worry too much about mygerm rates. I got three nice girls from the 7 seeds that sprouted.

I would agree that it is probably best to let them go. The seeds in the picture were literally falling out of the buds after about 30 days though.

Toodles

0518_Seeds_1.jpg

keshman

Elevator Man said:
Some of my mine from last year:

Thanks for a great example of the differences between strains, the bottom right ones are quite different to other ones....nice!

Cheers for all your replies.

G

30-35 day minimum. 45 days usually gives very good rates.

If your planning on growing the soon, go with 35 days as many will have thin green shells and will pop and grow easily. If your'e going to keep and store them, you want them to be completely ripe with fully developed hard shells 50+ days.