What's new

Backcrossing to improve yield/vigor

Hindu Killer

Veteran
After reading the other IBL line I thought this is a good topic. And DC is the example ofcourse. Now lets say we have DC and want to improve it a bit. We have a good hermie free, potent batch of DC seed to start with. Then we also have several DC X's that are nice like the DCxCheese,DCxBM,DCxUrkle and DCxBubba..etc etc. Id think one would take several of the best males and breed them back to the pure DC. Then grow these out and see what the results are. Bigger faster plants etc. I also have some PTK X's that are to elite clones, some of which are very potent. I plan to bx them to PTK to improve potencie. All plans , graphs, pictures opinions are WELCOME! Whats not welcome is negative karma. So lets here it form all of you with some experience at this. And those just interested like I am.

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
say if i wanted to get some beans from this strain who makes the best ones?

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends on what you're looking for. If you want bigger plants, don't go with Bubba or Urkle. Even the Cheese isn't a huge yielder, but bigger than the others.

If you're after taste... that depends on whether you want the DC taste mixed with Bubbe, or with the Urkle, or the Cheese tastes. All personal choices.

In my experience, the female in the breeding is usually more dominant in the cross than the males are. So whatever DC cross you use should be more like the DC than the male.

So, for yield/vigor... you might want to think about crossing to an olschool Hindu Kush (because they're vigorous and the genetics aren't likely going to dominate over the DC. This might take the flowering time down, stabilize the growth habits, and bulk the nugs a bit.

DC is NOT going to be an easy plant to breed yield into... It's been bred away from the yield side of things in favor of a funky look, taste. if you wanted to make a crap shoot, you can use a nice skunk#1 to really shake things up and head back into the yield side of things with a vengence, but the results might be quite variable in the taste department. Who knows, though, might be cool. :)

But I would cross the DC to a Hindu Kush, then bx to the DC, grow those seeds out and look for a new mother clone with more yield/vigor that resembles the DC much more than the Hindu Kush... then cross that clone to the Hindu kush again and start over. DC might take some serious work to get her yielding like a champ, but remaining an interesting-looking plant.

Last edited:

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hej everyone ...

first up , thx for the nice read hindu ... , i guess BM stands for Blue Moonshine ??
was Dc the mother in the Dc x Bm ?

Its like CC said above , using Dc as female part of the cross the dominance will be extreme , using Dc as the male part lowered the dominance a bit ...

I would take a choice female and do the initial cross , growing out about 100 beans of the f1 generation , selecting for resin , potency , structure and yield ... ; let's say 5 females and 3 male's are fitting your goal's , do a " quasi " open pollination to get to the f2 generation , grow as many of them to find plants meeting your plan ... , from here on it will be a bit easier with Dc's crossing dominance ... , and yeah .. watch out for sterile plants ... :smoke:

have a nice day

Fj

Hindu Killer

Veteran
THX! CC and Fja for shareing your insight. Ill keep you posted. Where is a good old school Hindu Kush to be found CC?

skar

hello Hindu Killer,

thanks for the good thread !

Hindu Killer said:
Have you used any of the Sensi stock recently???

i don't speak for CC but a friend just harvested 20 Hindu Kush females from Sensi some days ago (seeds buyed in january)..they are not only consistant and beautifull..but they are in my and my friend opinion's the same as the Sensi Hindu Kush we grew in 1999.

we are just more lucky with this batch because of the 26 females (6 are outdoor) on 40 seeds popped..a part from that..we haven't noticed any changes in the line while the MapleLeafIndica are way different this year than in 2000..lots of phenos and not so many keepers...

my 2 cents

Peace

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, I have some here, and the most recent order of it by a friend of mine turned out to be just fine. :) They should be good. :)

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
fjällhöga´s Strawberry Diesel #9 x DC IBL
raco2072-2.jpg

semi dried bud...the DC taste is noticeable,A very nice cross,thx fj :wink:

Imagen058.jpg

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great looking SD, Raco. :) The Strawberry Diesel REALLY wins out in that breeding! Those look just like Strawberry Diesel should, hardly a hint of the Deep Chunk noticeable!

Latest posts

Latest posts