What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Self-watering Flood & Drain Tray

Would it be possible to rig a flood/drain tray that sat on a scale that would turn a pump on when the weight got below a set point, turn off with a toilet-style floater & drain after an alotted amount of time?

I was thinking you could put fabric pots in that tray and have a decent self-watering system based on weight of soil & wicking up the feedings, like a periodized earthbox with air pruning fabric pots.

brickweeder

Would it be possible to rig a flood/drain tray that sat on a scale that would turn a pump on when the weight got below a set point, turn off with a toilet-style floater & drain after an alotted amount of time?

I was thinking you could put fabric pots in that tray and have a decent self-watering system based on weight of soil & wicking up the feedings, like a periodized earthbox with air pruning fabric pots.
u will need to adjust the weight switch periodically as the mass of your plants increase with growth

MrMMJ

Although anything is possible, and an interesting idea, this seems like it would be an over- complicated, expensive way of doing something easily accomplished with timers.

Every f&d type system I've ran works best with fast draining mediums feed multiple times per cycle. Flood watering soil containers seems to lead to initially overly wet conditions, especially when plants are small. Good luck !

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Although anything is possible, and an interesting idea, this seems like it would be an over- complicated, expensive way of doing something easily accomplished with timers.

Every f&d type system I've ran works best with fast draining mediums feed multiple times per cycle. Flood watering soil containers seems to lead to initially overly wet conditions, especially when plants are small. Good luck !

This.

It's creative, I'll give you that. But yeah, it doesn't seem all that practical, and would require regular tinkering and adjusting. Then, you would almost certainly run into a "wet feet" scenario where the plants will probably act as if they are overwatered, even in a well-drained medium.

Also, it seems like blumats already do what you are describing, so there's that.

:tiphat:

Lyfespan

kiss.

if you want the water to remain in trays for an allotted amount of time, put a valve on the drain, even a stupid sprinkler vale and controller will handle this simple task. you can sett it and forget it

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
The alien easy feed system is a good option,if looking to purchase.
It’s simple to design and make your own system to suit your requirements I guess.

Latest posts

Latest posts