What's new

Will this strange cross come out all male, all female or mixed sex?

Crazy Chester

Hi everyone. I'm reading everything I can about germinating old seeds and trying to put a protocol together for popping some seeds I made about 15 years ago. The female was Blowfish F2 from Three Little Birds. The male was a freak. I got him from a pack of Trainwreck S1 from Jojorizo, which were supposed to be all female. It was truly a male - it never put out even one female flower. It was the most vigorous of the TW S1 seedlings! It was a monster - grew like crazy, was stinky and had trichomes in veg. So I flowered him out and knocked up some Blowfish. I have 19 seeds that I know I have to pop soon, but, I'm still researching the most foolproof method of old seed germination I can, because I just know those seeds have something special in them. I want to give them as good a chance as possible to germinate.

Question: If I get some to germinate, will I see all males, all females or a mix of the sexes?

Crazy Chester

If the parents were true female and true male, 50/50 is my understanding.

Thanks for the feedback, AgentPothead. That's the thing, though. Genetically, both should be female. But, the TW S1 expressed only male characteristics. I've read S1s bred with a female from regular seeds leads to all female progeny. So, if I had to guess, I would say all the seeds that germinate will germinate female. It would be like crossing a female from regular seed with the pollen from another female that was sex reversed with Ga3. I think I may have answered my own question. Lol.

JetLife175

Veteran
I’ve never seen an all male line per sae in my experience but the closest thing I’ve seen to that was the peyote purple that had an insane male to female ratio. I popped about 60 seeds from the first release and I don’t remember exact numbers but something like 45+ were male. Not exactly sure what would cause something like that.

Edit: the PP was a bubba s2 so not exactly your situation but I feel it translates somewhat.

Those guys that claim to have male OG plants from s1 stock use them and it comes out as a normal line. I’ve always believed that the possibility of a male in s1 is possible but the probability of getting it is minuscule.

Crazy Chester

Yeah, JetLIfe75 - I couldn't believe it! I guess I'm just going to have to successfully pop 'em to find out. But, my understanding is the same as yours - if you cross plants that are genetically XX to each-other, you will get XX progeny. Here's another possibility: I think Jojorizo was also passing out regular Trainwreck seeds back then as well as his S1s - it's possible my pack was mislabeled as S1, when it was really regular seeds. If that's the case, I grew out a true XY male and the progeny would be like AgentPothead said - 50/50 male/female.

JetLife175

Veteran
That’s a really good point too. It all comes down to knowing what the hell the seed was in the first place. Have you stress tested the male at all?

Crazy Chester

No stress test. Just the usual over the course of about a year that I had it. But, it didn't even have a tiny immature female pre-flower, much less a pistol or two in flower. He was a stud. Exceedingly rare - as you have pointed out. All others turned out to be identical females - like they were supposed to be.

NEED 4 SEED

Why do you think your male is female, just because you found it in a female pack makes it a female expressing male traits? Isn't the more obvious reason a better explanation, that it is just a male resulting from contamination with regular pollen?

Crazy Chester

Of course, NEED 4 SEED - it could certainly be that. In fact, if the seeds produce both males and females, I would think that would have to be the explanation.

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pop those babies and see what happens.
If the male was from a femmed line it could be one of those 1 in a million males that makes reg seed.

As long as you stored the seeds well (in a refrigerator or non defrosting freezer or even in a cool dry place) those seeds will more than likely germinate with little to no special techniques. (though I tend to baby any seed older than 6 or 7 years any time due to storage issues.)

You may have created a legend and don't even know it yet!
WOO HOO!!!

Crazy Chester

Thanks for the input, MJPassion - I stored them in a daily pill box, airtight container, in a cool dark place. But, I've tried germing others stored the same way that are years younger and none popped. So, I want to pull out all the stops on this one. Besides my original BG C99 clone, Blowfish was the best plant I've ever had. I will start a thread on it if any seeds pop.

Manivelle

Veteran
hi chester

in case you succeed keep me informed please .

i have a cut from a crystal loco from jojo . and a lot of blowfish seeds to pop. and this crystal loco is fire .

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've read S1s bred with a female from regular seeds leads to all female progeny.
Yes, S1's will be almost all female. S1's are created by reversing a female (regardless of type) and using the pollen on the same plant. Clones make this much easier. :)

Every few thousand femmed plants you sprout, there's a chance you'll get cannabis genetics pushing it's hermie tendencies forward again and a male will show. Cannabis IS hermie, and it's only selective breeding which keep 'stable' genetics in play. Left to it's own in the wild, cannabis has always returned to hermie.

Personally, I would not breed with the male you found. My reading points to it creating hermie problems down the line like some DJ Short lines. He quit posting about breeding with 'special' males many years ago.

Crazy Chester

My reading points to it creating hermie problems down the line like some DJ Short lines.

Well, I suppose there's only one way to find out for sure whether that will happen with these beans - I'll just have to find a way to pop 'em! I'm currently leaning towards using the method Lester Beans has used for popping old beans - starting them in worm castings.

Crazy Chester

hi chester

in case you succeed keep me informed please .

i have a cut from a crystal loco from jojo . and a lot of blowfish seeds to pop. and this crystal loco is fire .

Dude - I remember people growing out that crystal locomotive - seemed like everyone was loving it!

I'd love to see you pop some of that blowfish. Mine was a special plant - strong terps that smelled of berries, decent yield, 45 day flower period, sativa high, no indica couchlock, no tolerance or ceiling and easy to grow...

igrowone

Veteran
a male(appearing) plant is quite possible from S1 seeds
i have seen it myself from a S1 hermie that had no male pollen possibilities
and others replied they had seen it occur, reputable growers on ic
my male produced no pollen, the male parts developed then withered
you're going down a strange road, which makes it a little exciting

Manivelle

Veteran
Dude - I remember people growing out that crystal locomotive - seemed like everyone was loving it!

I'd love to see you pop some of that blowfish. Mine was a special plant - strong terps that smelled of berries, decent yield, 45 day flower period, sativa high, no indica couchlock, no tolerance or ceiling and easy to grow...
you got it :)