What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lockout? Very yellow plants, dying leaves

Thought I'd start a new thread as I think I'm in some real trouble now. Plants are all getting yellow all over, and the bottom leaves have already died off.

They are all in 3 gal smart pots, ffof, roots organic liquid fert every other water, watering every 3-4 days. I ph to 6.0-6.3 using potassium bicarbonate and citric acid and let tap water sit out with a pinch of ascorbic acidfor chlorine and chloramine.

It's about week 4 of flower now and I'm just struggling to keep them going to make it to week 8. One thing I didn't use was the recommended dry guano and castings, but I do have grow and bloom dry nutes from them that I use.

I upped the nitrogen the past couple weeks (fed with stronger dose and even fed four times the past two weeks or so- feed feed water schedule). I'm nervous man if anyone can shed some light I'd be super thankful.

Attachments

• IMG_3277.jpg
    IMG_3277.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3280.jpg
    IMG_3280.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3281.jpg
    IMG_3281.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 13
They require less but still use quite a bit up to week 3 from what I've read. I thought it was a N deficiency so I gave them more. Doesn't seem to have helped though the yellowing progresses and moves upwards every day.

Hopefully someone can help us! Sorry to hear you have the same issues. I saw a video from someone that experienced this with RO liquid nutes and he used some Chems high in N as a one time boost that seemed to stop it. I'm contemplating it. didn't have any issues before now so maybe it is just a low N thing that the RO isn't really handling. Their grow is a 2-0.25-1 or something like that so it's not very high in N.

Definitely nitrogen deficiency.

I'd suggest adding something like Foliage pro from Dynagro to your feedings immediately. It's really your only option since it's so late into flower. One or two feedings should be enough.

Thanks James. I had fed them every water the past two weeks in hopes it would help increase nitrogen but I have a new pile of dead leaves every day and at this rate they won't make it another week, if that. Happened so fast.

I'm assuming flushing wouldn't be an option at this point ? I'm afraid it's deficiency caused by lockout and maybe that's why they won't uptake anything I give them, or so it seems.

I ordered Roots organic amino aide 5-0-0 in hopes of a last chance. Thoughts?

I guess I could always make hash if they don't make it. Such a bummer

I'm afraid flushing would only make things worse.

I wouldn't say its lockout or it wouldn't be so easy to diagnose. It looks like they're getting everything they need except the N.

Organic inputs take a while to become available so it's a bit late at this point.

Just make sure to add some high N fertilizer to your base soil next time around.

Americangrower

Veteran
you didn't add castings or guano? did you add anything to it? Are you adding cal/mag to your water? If it was me I would get some guano, perlite, and castings mix it into remaining soil then do a quick transplant to bigger bags with new soil mix. Also buy cal/mag and add it to water with nutes. I feed nutes at 1/4 or 1/2 stregth in every feeding but thats just me.

Thanks guys. I'll try the synthetic boost tonight in hopes of at least halting the problem. Good to know it's not a lockout, maybe there's still hope.

American- I added the grow and foundation RO powdered nutes throughout the grow which have guanos in them. Their liquids have guanos and castings as well as some blood meal. Also elemental which is calmag. They were in ocean forest too which had lots of goodies. Problem came when I started to flower, the regiment I was on just wasn't enough. And since I am (was) doing organic I just couldn't catch up and now I'm in trouble.

Appreciate the input guys I'll have updates later for the record.

Your urine has lots of good urea nitrogen in it! 1/4 of a gallon of Your first piss when you wake up! Diluted with 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon of water.
Btw its been my experiance that when things are going askew to not go crazy trying to "fix" what may or may not be wrong with them.

Americangrower

Veteran
Wait are you using city water? If so I think your problem is Fluoride ...don't use city tap water unless you reverse osmosis it. Go buy spring water or go to a clean stream or pond something city water is brutal. just a thought.

I am using city water, supposed to be some of the best in the country but I'm not sure about fluoride levels. That's a good thought.

I did just feed some amino aide 5-0-1 to see if that helps. I also tested my unoff- 7.5!!!! I corrected my water to 6.3 going in. I don't know how it could be so damn high, iv always gone to 6.0-6.3 and only mixed like 1-2TBLS lime per gal of soil in the very beginning.

I kind I wish I was still in veg so I could flush transplant and try to recover but I have a feeling I'm in it to the end now.

Americangrower

Veteran
I would stop using city water, since the Mi water crisis towns and cities upped there fluoride chlorine and god knows what else in there water. Water is like 2 gal for $1 at supermarket and 6 would feed your plants for a week so thats what $3 ...around here we have the self fill spring water for 25 cents. its money well spent

Yea good call. I'm sure I ahouldnt be drinking it either. Sucks we live at a time where every damn thing seems to be polluted and trashed.

I'm not going to do anything about the runoff ph. Riding it out from here, will start using bottled h20 and hope for the best. I don't think there's anything else to do anyhow

GoatCheese

Veteran
They require less but still use quite a bit up to week 3 from what I've read. I thought it was a N deficiency so I gave them more. Doesn't seem to have helped though the yellowing progresses and moves upwards every day.

Could be over watering. It causes leaves to fall off and/or to get brown leaf rot.
Try to let the medium to dry well enough between waterings and also water them with smaller dosages.
Over watering also cause problems in nute up take, so while you're getting the over watering sorted by letting the medium to dry out abit, you can try foliar feeding the plants.

:)

So here's an update. I think the amino aide worked bc the yellowing slowed way down or maybe even halted and the leaves on or near the buds even started to green up slightly. Still some dying leaves but way less. I did one dose of amino aide (15ml/gal) by itself, then another 4 days later with the scheduled flowering nutes. I'll prob use just water next time and feed maybe once or twice more before flush (prob exclude the high N amino aide unless you guys think I should continue). Buds are still growing and are filling in nicely. Maybe it was just a N def.? Seems crazy they needed THAT much. Maybe it was a combo of things, it's too bad I still don't really know.

Here are some trich shots. Mostly clear still from what I can tell. Some milky, just a couple amber but they're on top of a sugar leaf. I think they're gonna be okay! I can't stop staring, the buds look beautiful!

I'll get some better shots at a later time with the Hps off.

Attachments

• IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3299.jpg
    IMG_3299.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3307.jpg
    IMG_3307.jpg