What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Happy to be here...finally

dddaver

Veteran
Just wanted to say, so happy to be here finally. The southern block was finally broken.

dddaver

Veteran
But you can bet when they finally get this thing fired up, this no grow deal will really suck. The weed at the few restricted dispensaries will be hugely expensive and nasty schwag too, taxed to death, and full of chemicals. And they will want you to get a card so you can be on some damn gubment list (which I will never do). But at least it's a start. And I imagine a lot of dispensaries failing and then they'll say, "See?, Nobody wants it". But actually they'll fail not because people don't want weed, but because of all the huge regulation and nasty schwag they'll offer. But again, it's a start.

Badfishy1

But you can bet when they finally get this thing fired up, this no grow deal will really suck. The weed at the few restricted dispensaries will be hugely expensive and nasty schwag too, taxed to death, and full of chemicals. And they will want you to get a card so you can be on some damn gubment list (which I will never do). But at least it's a start. And I imagine a lot of dispensaries failing and then they'll say, "See?, Nobody wants it". But actually they'll fail not because people don't want weed, but because of all the huge regulation and nasty schwag they'll offer. But again, it's a start.

Gotta say bud, I am working w a group to grow as a legal grow. Keep your head up fam! Most looking to get into industry are all looking to be the total opposite of your fears

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gotta say bud, I am working w a group to grow as a legal grow. Keep your head up fam! Most looking to get into industry are all looking to be the total opposite of your fears

I'd wager that SOME not MOST are looking to produce good quality products.

You've got to remember that every bit of the lagalization that is currently happening is mostly being designed by investors for the express purpose of snatching up as much capitol as possible.

Uf legislation was being designed by consumers the market would get ripped open for all to participate freely.

dddaver

Veteran
Of course investors, or commercial growers, or dispensary owners are going to say it'll be great. But the proof will be in the pudding actually. I know Florida. ANYTHING new or innovative is squashed. So why does anyone think this will be any different?. Right now it's just talk anyway, by anybody involved. And if past history of the way Florida does things, and people really need to believe that, they WILL screw the pooch.

My county has already moved against any dispensaries opening here for at least 6 mos. But you know, once they see the money to be had, they'll be into it. And just yesterday they had hearings in Tallahassee about cannabis and among the people presenting there were the anti-Amd. 2 group. Why? They lost. It's too late. The overwhelming majority of the people want MMJ. So why listen to them now? That just goes to show how these political creeps, and ultra conservatives are going to handle this. And I'm afraid it ain't good. But just like Trump, I'm willing to give the idiots a chance. I will most likely ignore most of it anyway.

And I think if anyone in Florida really wants any quality MMJ, they best just grow their own or become a part of a small caregivers group.

gbauto

I look at FL as an important step to getting the 'backward-ass South' that has been my home for all of my life to change. I think that the biggest hurdle will be the politicians who cling to the 'save the children' dogma still have sway here. I hope that people will finally realize the cannabis isn't the threat that they have been sold.
Until then...I grow my own.

dddaver

Veteran
I know the Department of Health has 6 months to set up regulations in FL, but I wonder if any doctors have even received any guidance on issuing recommendations? Or if anyone in this state will actually get any MMJ tomorrow when the new law is supposed to take effect? Certainly not around here, I know.

This won't be pretty. I can't wait to laugh at seeing $400/zip at the dispensaries that actually took only a few bucks to produce. Oh well, baby steps I guess.

dddaver

Veteran
Man, the money game starts. Today is the first day MMJ is legal here but then I see a "doctor" who barely speaks English so bad I had a hard time understanding her, on some early morning news show, saying now you need 2 separate doctors to recommend it. So now you have to pay 2 quacks annually even before you pay the gubment annually for a card. Whatever.

It seems they miss the whole intent here, which is to help the sick people who usually have limited incomes because they are sick, so can't pay all these stupid fees. Duh!

Somebody tell me FL politics is not a joke and I might just die laughing,

dddaver

Veteran
I just looked at the FL Dept. of Health website. Yep, they now say a rec. requires 2 doctors, and you also need to be a patient first for 3 mos. My doc that I have seen for 10 years isn't even on their list. Oh well.

Then:
The medical use of low-THC cannabis or medical cannabis does NOT include the following:

• The possession, use or administration of low-THC cannabis or medical cannabis by smoking.
So no smoking? God, how stupid. What a joke.

The Dept. of Health also states on their website that only TERMINAL patients qualify, not having the DEBILITATING ILLNESSES the constitutional amendment clearly states. I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that breaks the law. They were tasked to set a program up, not interpret the law.

I knew they would screw this pooch. :biggrin:

HarvestMoon303

Wow, this looks like an awful plan. I keep hearing how bad NV's new laws are for growing. You have to be at least 25 miles away from any dispensary. WTF? What does that have to do with anything (aside from $$$$ for the state)?

Mycelium_mind

Yea the ultra-conservatives arent giving up the fight anytime soon. I have a feeling theyre gonna make it as hard as possible but hey at least it passed not like two years ago. A lot of people have their hopes up which is kind of encouraging

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, this looks like an awful plan. I keep hearing how bad NV's new laws are for growing. You have to be at least 25 miles away from any dispensary. WTF? What does that have to do with anything (aside from $$$$ for the state)?
If I recall, that's the way Arizona is set up too.

Several states require 2 docs to sign off.

dddaver

Veteran
The part I find most annoying, is that the Dept of Health, made up of doctors, wrote that policy to pad their own pockets. Their "new" rules help no-one but themselves. The constitution is very clear about some things. But they changed that. The Department was tasked to set up a program within the existing law. Not dictate policy. And then the Health Department set up a program that violates the law and pretty much ignores the majority's desires and the hard work put in to change the state constitution.

I don't think some of these ultra-conservative types will ever understand that it's the majority of the citizens that decide what should happen in the US. That's the American way. Those ultra conservatives are in reality being anti-American. Just the opposite of what they think they are doing. Laws are hammered out and voted on for the people's benefit. Not just so some rich, out-of-touch assholes can just get richer from screwing poor sick people.

It will change. It has to. It can't stand up to legal scrutiny. That's the other thing I find very annoying about all this. The types that write that roadblock shit are the very ones that SAY they want a smaller, less intrusive, in your face, watching everything you do, government. But then, in fact, they EXPAND government by getting into everyone's private lives. In reality, they EXPAND gubment also simply due to the fact of them making up all these ignorant legal roadblocks. Those roadblocks then need massive legal wrangling required just to undo all their stupid, law breaking policies.

It's a circular argument and system here in FL the ulta-conservatives have built for themselves. So why do they say they want smaller government when in reality their policies EXPAND it? They lie by just their stance on most issues. That's the dirty south right there. Stupid just on the face of it.

iBogart

Veteran
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article128686904.html

By Michael Auslen

Herald/Times Tallahassee Bureau

LinkedIn
Google+
Pinterest
Reddit
Print
Order Reprint of this Story

TALLAHASSEE

Jacel Delgadillo is still waiting for her 5-year-old son Bruno to be able to use medical marijuana legally in Florida.

Bruno suffers from a rare form of epilepsy called Dravet syndrome. When he started using cannabis, Bruno went from having hundreds of seizures a week to fewer than five. Though voters in November overwhelmingly approved a constitutional amendment that eases access to medical marijuana, Delgadillo frets that lawmakers are reversing course, hashing out plans that would further limit access to the drug.

Seventy-one percent of voters approved the measure, but it's “something completely different” than what lawmakers are now considering, said Delgadillo, who lives in Miami.

She worries Florida’s laws will ban edibles and smoking the drug — so-called whole-plant use that she says voters expected to be legal. Caps on the number of businesses that can grow and sell the drug might limit the variety of cannabis available to her son, she said.

In recent weeks, the state Senate and the Florida Department of Health released proposals that would mostly keep control of the marijuana market in the hands of a few companies licensed to grow marijuana, process it and sell oils and pills to patients. Leaders in the Florida House, which have not yet released a plan, say they are inclined to do the same.

Instead of creating a whole new marijuana system, the Senate and health department proposed adding new patients to an existing, limited program passed two years ago. It allows terminally ill people to use full-strength marijuana and certain patients, including children with severe epilepsy, to use strains of cannabis low in the chemical THC, which causes a high.

Rules proposed by the health department ahead of public hearings across the state would allow only the seven currently licensed growers to produce and sell medical marijuana to the larger market. They also want to restrict marijuana’s use to a list of specific medical conditions including cancer and HIV and require that the state Board of Medicine approve any changes, though Amendment 2 gives doctors freedom to recommend the drug when they think it is appropriate.

State Sen. Rob Bradley, R-Fleming Island, proposed allowing the current growers to run the market. But his bill (SB 406) requires that five additional growers be licensed within six months of there being 250,000 patients in the state.

The Florida House is thinking along similar lines, said Health Quality Chairman Cary Pigman, an ER doctor, but with a much more rapid expansion in the number and diversity of growers.

“I would imagine we’re going to get to over 100,000 [patients] pretty quickly,” Pigman, R-Avon Park, said. “I think there’s a lot of pent-up demand, and we’re going to see that expand pretty rapidly.”

So far, neither the state nor the Legislature has show interest in allowing businesses to specialize in growing, producing marijuana products or selling.

That might be OK in the beginning, said Andrew Freedman, Colorado’s former marijuana czar. But in the long run, it could be less efficient and give growers more influence in Tallahassee.

“I would expect to see better lobbying teams if you have only a few,” he said to a lobbyist-packed room in the state Capitol. “You will feel greater pressure.”

Critics worry the current growers may not be able to supply enough marijuana for a market that could expand from fewer than 2,000 patients now to hundreds of thousands of users under Amendment 2.

Ben Pollara, who managed the Amendment 2 campaign, said the health department’s rules are “in direct contradiction” of the state Constitution and that the Senate is off to “an encouraging start.” But he’s wary of laws limiting the number of growers and preventing companies from focusing only on growing, selling or extracting the chemicals to make cannabis oils and pills.

“You’re not going to have a diverse set of products for these patients,” he told the Herald/Times. “And the person or persons who might be best equipped to grow the best marijuana may not be the best equipped to do the best extractions.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article128686904.html#storylink=cpy

We have our own state form, sweet.

I went to the dept of Health meeting in Duval county. They are combining the Compassionate care act with amendment 2. Problem is we didn't vote for the CCA. Lots of lawsuits will be coming and this will be long and drawn out if the Dept of health doesn't give up.

arizona45631

Florida governments fret over marijuana 'green rush'

Florida governments fret over marijuana 'green rush'

KISSIMMEE — The parade of horribles seems endless for local government officials grappling with an anticipated "green rush" in Florida after voters in November overwhelmingly approved a measure legalizing medical marijuana for hundreds of thousands of patients with debilitating conditions Meanwhile, the local moratoriums -- temporary bans on permitting and zoning for dispensaries -- are intended as status quo placeholders while officials wait for lawmakers, or the Department of Health, to impose new rules. "I don't know that there's that many cities that are hardcore against it. A lot of them are in the sense of, if we've got to have it, that's fine, but we want to make sure they're in the areas ORLANDO, Fla. — A fiery debate was held Wednesday over controversial rules for medical marijuana. A crowd packed the Health Department in Orange County to talk about proposed rules connected to Amendment 2. "I shouldn't have to drive hours to obtain my daughter's medicine or pay a $25 shipping fee on top of the already exorbitant cost," one person said at the meeting. With the passage of Amendment 2, the state is proposing rules, like a 90-day waiting period for patients to develop relationships with doctors who have been certified to order cannabis. "Now's the dog and pony show," said Morgan Haas. Haas said lawmakers essentially not doing enough, while people like himself live with excruciating .:biggrin:

iBogart

Veteran
We have our own state form, sweet.

I went to the dept of Health meeting in Duval county. They are combining the Compassionate care act with amendment 2. Problem is we didn't vote for the CCA. Lots of lawsuits will be coming and this will be long and drawn out if the Dept of health doesn't give up.

That's exactly what John Morgan had in mind. $$$$

All they are doing is keeping a thriving black market. They will have "Medical" but it will still be treated the same as the days of Prohibition. This amendment 2 is a joke and a slap i the face of the patient.

rossta18

Agreed but hopefully they will wake up and expand it but until then theres $ to be made. Although out of state has been driving wholesale prices down