What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drying buds in a CO2 atmosphere….

I've worked as a cellar hand during oregon's wine grape harvest season. When working on the higher quality fruit destined for high end reds we would use dry ice to create an oxygen deprived atmosphere in the bins were they got collected after passing through the de-stemmer. We would do this in order to avoid oxidation of phenolics in general.Once the grape bunches get de-stemmed the juices are exposed to air and by lining the bottom of the bin with the dry ice and then covering the top with another layer we would,in essence,flush out the less dense air.
F.Y.I.: Terpinolene, one of the terpenes for in greater amounts in cannabis, reacts with O2 at a much faster rate than other terpenes, it doesn't need catalyst or initiator other than diffuse light and at room temperature it reacts 1:1 mole wise with O2.That being said you can imagine the real impact that air and humidity have on the taste of the final product and how much of its integrity can the product retain.

Has anyone attempted anything similar? I've heard of people drying with their CO2 tank still dispensing gas. Any advantages, disadvantages?

PEACE

MangoCat

By packing grapes for shipment in dry ice you would delay their over-ripening by cooling the grapes, oxygen replacement and by CO2 inhibiting ethylene uptake. I'd think we'd want some ethylene circulating around at our ripening/rinse phase in order to finish things up. I'm sure there is a sweet spot for all of these factors as with everything. Good question, I've been wondering the same thing lately.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I use one and a half gallon mason jars for curing. A few years back I filled the jars with CO2 and would refill them every time they were vented. Six weeks of this and the bud matched the control buds toke for toke, no improvement I could detect.

Another try was opening a CO2 fire extinguisher and putting a couple ounces of bud in and filling with dry ice and putting the plug in. When the extinguisher warmed up there was liquid CO2 under pressure sloshing around with the bud. This was left for three days.
Again no difference.

The reasoning behind this was reports in the 1960's of pot shipped in dry ice being twice as strong as regular pot.
I'm calling urban legend.