What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Xtreme Gardening Azos: science or snake oil?

H

HerbScience

Is anyone using Xtreme Gardening Azos (nitrogen fixer) and what results? thanx

H

HerbScience

the product description says that its not like rhizobium that forms a symbiotic relationship with legumes to store nitrogen but lives on its own and transforms air nitrogen into a form that plants use so is a source of nitrogen without adding it as fertilizer that you can overdo and burn plants

omera1

i have done a side by side, the rootball with azos was much bigger. this is because of the IBA in it.
in my opinion its more a root Booster than a Nitrogen Booster.

whiteberrieS

brains1ck
Veteran
From LJB's Azospirillum thread

Upon the initial discovery of Azospirillum, it gained praise for its ability to produce a form of nitrogen that plants can easily use. Certainly this was the reason that the beneficial bacteria yields were higher than that of the control groups. However, in recent years research has shown that the increased root growth and overall plant vigor is not connected to nitrogen fixation alone; as is the case with nature, the answer is elegantly simple: Azospirillum’s nitrogen-producing gene was “turned off ”, yet its ability to produce more root mass, higher dry weight, increased survivability, increased crop yield and increased root hairs remained constant. One factor after another was ruled out and it’s now an accepted fact that Azospirillum synthesizes the plant growth hormone called IAA (indole-three-acetic acid) in a way that is easily utilized by plants. Although many scientists have tried, none have been able to efficiently reproduce Azospirillum’s delivery method of IAA to the plant - a way which ensures maximum utilization by plants.

IAA increases lateral root growth and root hairs, effectively boosting plants’ overall root surface area and increasing their ability to access nutrients. Furthermore, Azospirillum works symbiotically with Trichoderma and Mycorrhizae to maximize growth and production rates. This tripartite relationship provides leverage against natural events such as soil pathogens, drought, shock, stress and infestations. The relationship of these three microbes has been proven to increase farm production among the poorest farmers in the harshest of conditions, while delivering more food to the table for less than the chemical alternatives.

The indole-three-acetic acid thing is organic superthrive as opposed to synthetic Superthrive®, regardless of it's nitrogen fixing. Welcome to the jungle.™

A

acridlab

Agree with omera1.. I've grown with and without it.. Def. Makes a difference in the roots..
I use it at every transplant and will always use it..
It is also a very good cloning agent

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
i know this is a old thread but i was wondering if anyone has used "Modern Microbes" here is the list of things in it. makes me think it would be superior to Extreme Azos.
Ingredients:

Azotobacter chroococcum, Azotobacter vinelandii, Azospirillum lipoferum, Azospirillum brasilense, Bacillus megaterium, Bacillus polymyxa, Bacillus spp, Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus coagulans, Torulaspora globosa, Bradyrhizobium japonicum, Frateuria aurantia, Mycorrhizae, Trichoderma harzianum, Humic & Fulvic acid, Organic Kelp Ferment Evaporate.