What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AQUAPONICS,,, Any One? Heres Mine.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Catfish produce lots of waste too and get big fast if ya feed em. I remeber ol charlie used to lay in his half log in his 55 gallon tank and if you dropped a wurm or meat ball in there within 30 seconds he would stir to life, wiggle out of his hole and make a lap or two before swallerin the food whole and squeezin back in his tube. Got so fat we switched to a piece of pvc for him to hide in.

That man could clear up a dozed feeder goldfish in 20 minutes.

R.I.P. Charlie, the power went out for three days, we tried to keep pourin in fresh water for him but it was too much and too hot out. My dad was really upset for awhile.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Ok, so I have been building Beds from 55Gal. barrels a 4 bed site is 8' long.
I am waiting on some Uniseals to come in (Thurs.) so I can finish the over flow/balance plumbing.
I got My IBC totes cut down. I bought two IBC totes, but will be running 12 beds to start.
These will be built as 4 bed units.
I plan to run the drain off from the beds into a raft system, then into the Fish tank.

The beds are to be run along the South facing wall of My garage. I plan to make a 3' walk way, so across from the barrel beds will be a trough for the rafts.
The beds will clean/filter the poo, then into the rafts back to the tank.

This will allow Me to get more pitch in the planned greenhouse's roof.
This will help with keeping the snow clear.
I plan on eating well year round.

I will get some pics taken, and downloaded soon.

Thanx 4 UR interest in aquaponics.

I am NO Expert, so any well meant comments/suggestions are welcome.

Peace; 1TT

Kozmo

Veteran
Been doing research for a friend who's setting up a 60' x 60' greenhouse in NorCal. Tilapia not approved for where I live yet you can get them into the state if small enough and they can't identify them. People do it. Was gonna go with Blues. Easiest thing though is trout, I can get them free from the hatchery, yet would need to keep the water under 60F. We'll probably end up with koi, mainly due to the temp range they can handle, yet I want to grow something I can eat :biggrin:. I've heard shrimp work good for cleaning the bottoms of tanks and you need a separator from the fish and from themselves as they will eat each other when they molt. I was thinking of adding some only for that function and not production value. Bluegills are still an option and maybe catfish.

Yellow perch is the way to go friend.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
I agree, Yellow Perch are VERY tasty fish.
If I cant run My rafts in-line with the beds due to the cycling in the beds causing the rafts to sit stagnet in between cycles, then I will set up a 2nd tank to run a constant flow true the rafts. The 1st tank is getting channel catfish, The 2nd will get perch.

ogrerun thnx 4 stopping in, Kozmo god to see You Bro.
DSOG, Repping The Midwest from the Hawkeye state. Glad to see Ya on board Homie.

Peace; 1TT

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Well, here We go.

I've got this thing about ready to test run.
Still have to clean this all up with soap and water, then wipe down with vinegar to cut any soap residue that may remain.
These barrels were car wash soap barrels, not my 1st choice, but I couldn't find any food grade barrels used when I was searching.
Like I said though the vinegar should cut the carwash soap too.
After the vinegar wipe I'm going to wipe down with a mild bleach water solution, 1:10.

Next I have to build the control barrel. This will run the ebb N flow cycle for the beds. mor on that later. to test it I will just use a timer.

Ok so I'm gonna try to throw up some pics, and explain how this thing is supposed to work.
At the end of summer it will be fun to go back and see just how much is working as explained here.lol

Lets start with an overall shot

The IBC tote will be buried in the ground, but for test, and pics this will do for now.

The top line is the 1" overflow/balance tube. It connects all 4 beds together, and if a bed overflows, it will flow into the ajoining beds, and overflow intyo the fish tank if need be.
Drain is 1/2" irrigation pipe to a threaded barbed fitting, to a 1/2" thread/slip adapter !/2"PVC thru the Uniseal to 90 into drain (not pictured).
The 4" septic pipe is to keep the drain clear of gravel.

I just got reminded that I STILL haven't change the oil in the wifes car, so more later.

Peace; 1TT

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
The 1"PVC line along the top, back of the beds is the feed line. It will be attached to a control module that will have water pumped constantly into in. it has an overflow that fills a 1liter bottle, which is on a pulley system, which once full drops pulling a toilet flush valve, flushing the contents of the controller into the feed line. The 1liter bottle cap has a small hole which allows the water to drain from the bottle, and the toilet flapper closes starting the cycle over.
The water trickels thru the gravel into the 1/2" drain. The 1/2" PVC will get a piece of 3/8" vinyl tube inserted to slow the drain rate.

The 1" overflow on the front edge at the top of the beds allows for the beds to equalize.
As roots fill the beds they will fill at different rates. This overflow tube will also act as a balance tube. At the left end of the overflow is 3 90's allowing for adjustable water level in the beds. The way I have it set up, there will be approx3.5"-4"of dry gravel. by raising the outer 2 90's I think I can raise the water level by about an inch or so.
I want this dry zone for the red wiggelers that I am adding to My beds.
I am doing this to help break down the solids that make it into the beds into usable macro nutrients. They also aerate the beds, just like they do in Our soil.

I have more pics, so if there are any areas that Y'all want to see closer, just ask and i'll see if I can find a pic that will help Me to elaborate further.

I have a bunch of seeds started, and it is finaly supposed to stay above freezing at night, so it is GO time.
I have to clear the weeds that re grew last summer,call 811 to see if it is safe to dig where I need to.
Its nice that I know a Guy who will bring His skid steer over and run it for fuel, and beer.
Its still not gonna be cheap. This Cat can drink.lol

Its on like Donkey Kong.

Peace; 1TT

C

CaliGabe

If I cant run My rafts in-line with the beds due to the cycling in the beds causing the rafts to sit stagnet in between cycles, then I will set up a 2nd tank to run a constant flow true the rafts. The 1st tank is getting channel catfish, The 2nd will get perch.
Hey I'm doing some research on aquaponics and looking forward to how things work for you. If you have aeration in your raft area then should you be concerned about some stagnation while your beds fill? Are you using bell siphons for the ebb and flow cycles in your beds?

From what I've read yellow perch like cleaner water than channel catfish or even tilapia.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Thanks for Your interest, and input CaliGabe.
No I am not using bell siphons. I tried to explain in the previous post, but to be honest, if I had not seen pics/vids of the system I described, I wouldn't understand it.
I will be building the control barrel tomorrow(I think).
Until then You can search barrelponics by Travis Hughey on Youtube. I found this system in a video by New2Torah titled, off grid greenhouse.
This is a GR8 video, and will bring some clarity to My ramblings on this subject.

This is going to be a learning experience. One with an easy curve, I hope.
Knowing Me, like I do though,,, feel free to laugh out loud. I will be,,, it keeps me from crying(most days).

Good airstones would probably do the trick in the rafts. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I also am in the process of building a RDWC system, and am using diffuser rings, and an oversized air pump to add extreme amounts of DO to the totes. I am Following HygroHybrids RDWC plans. that's another project that may get its own thread.

This garden is priority one.

Peace; 1TT

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
[ur
Uniseals ROCK!!! 1st pic shows the taper that forces the Uniseal to expand, as the Pipe is pushed thru. 2nd pic shows the expansion of the Uniseal with pipe inserted.
I got these Uniseals from My local hydro store. they are in the National Garden Wholesale catalogue that most hydro shops have access to.
I used generic Ky lube(water soluable) to lubricate the pipe, as well as grinding a taper to the end. I did not need to do this on the 1/2" pipe, but the 1' was NOT going in with out a taper, and lube.

Peace; 1TT

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran

This is the end of the feed line. it is capped, butt not glued. I plan to build 2 more 4 bed units. They will go in line with this 1st unit.
None of the PVC is glued, as this is all going to be gravity fed, thus no pressure.
The feed spouts are adjustable, for flow control.

Cycle timing will be an area of experimentation.
There are a few ways of controlling this in this system.
1st is the size of pump, next is the size of drain hole in the cap of the 1liter bottle that operates the flush valve. a bigger hole, and the bottle will drain, and reset the flapper quicker.
Drain restriction will affect how fast the beds drain.

Heres a pic of the arrangement that will go in to a 55gallon barrel with the top 7" cut off. it is a toilet flush valve, a 2"-1" slip-thread adapter with a 1" thread-slip to a 90 this ties to the feed line.
The instructional PDF from fastonline.org called for a street 90, but Lowes didn't have them, so I improvised with parts I had on hand. the street 90 would have saved about an inch of drop(no worries).

Well I guess it's time to get My fat ass out to the shop.
This will make better since if just build it, and show it.

Hydrosun, thanks 4 Ur interest. I too, cant wait to see some Channel Cat growing in here.

Peace; 1TT

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
ROFLMAO! awe man, just last summer I did so much research on aquaponics, had the links stashed away for the IBL 250gl tank and everything all the while thinking that it was gonna be cool . . . . yeah, right up until it took me about a fucking week to of trying to get that damned bell siphon to work AAAAND that's where it all stopped for me.

had my bio filter setup, lava rocks, hydroton, configuration/placement for the tank and plant trays but that fuckin bell siphon man, smh besides the fact that I never could keep fish alive either so its the DWC life for me!

love/envy your setup, ability, knowledge though. its that whole fish thing man, I love fishtanks, fish and all but cant seem to keep them alive

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Hey friend,,, Come along 4 Tha RIDE. plenty of laughs to come FO SHO.
coming from the tropical fish thang WAY back when, it was humbling to say the least, to not be able to get My indoor thing in check. A MUCH smaller pump would have solved that, but,,, been on quite a personal journey during all this as well. Just gave up on it(for the moment)

Friend, it kills Me that You can keep a plant alive in DWC, but fish get the best of You. It is VERY similar, Ph, temp, dissolved oxygen. with these skills You CAN learn to give fish what They need.

Come along with Us on this ride, and I bet You'll be planning a barrelponic garden.
I will document the setbacks, and success's, with the intention to learn from My mistakes, and maybe save any one that chooses the freedom to be Self-sufficient,,,, AHhh shit, I'm starting to ramble again.

I aint no genius, and that's fer sure. I have watched most of the aquaponic videos on You tube. over the last couple years.
I am looking to be able to depend on this garden, and the planned greenhouse(more about that later) no matter what happens in this fucked up world.
This seems to be the simplest system(fewest parts) to operate from a power usage stand point. once this thing is running, the thing that will wear out our the 1 water pump, the rubber flapper on the flush valve.
Shit Man all this stuff is just what I can foresee at this moment, so feel free to chime in with thoughts on the hilarity to ensue.

These Limes are kicking My ass. I aint going to get shit done if I don't back away from the pipe, and this Idiot box.

Peace OUT; 1TT

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Thx 4 dropping in Nodgman. I would love to see a pic of Your reef tank. I am nearly as interested in the filtration, sump, skimmer, UV light, refugium, Lights, as I am the actual Corals, and other life forms.

Show it off for Us, if You would.

Ok, lets talk plants.
I have seeds a popping. I thought I had the pics ready, but I don't yet. here's a list for now.
Tomatoes: Roma, Big Beef, Cherokee, Purple Riesentraube(giant bunch of grapes)
Peppers: Jalapeno(traveler strain),Chocolate Habanero, Fatali.
Golden Zucchini, Cucumbers: Parade(for spears) Marketmore 76(for slices).
Dill.
Lima bean(Thorogreen Bush), Green Bean(Ky Wonder, pole), Pea(Sugar Daddy).

I dropped 3 of everything, except the Cherokee Purples were from last year, so I put 2 seeds into each Root Riot plug. Of course They all popped giving Me 2 per cube. I figured I would just chop one of them.
I decided instead to try to devide them. I think this is going to workout.
I'll get some pics of the babies, and My efforts to sepperate the Twins up later.

Peace; 1TT

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
very nice 1tt!

i also just started a bunch of veggie seeds. did 5 trays of heirloom varieties and will probably buy a couple starts also from the farmer's market. lookin like i will have 4 different veggie gardens i will be doing this summer.

looking into using rain barrels to catch water from gutters and employ that somehow into an irrigation system...