What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/1 lighting--Any truth or banana in the tail pipe?

Grass Lands

Veteran
same here man...I harden the clones under 4ft floro's for a few days and then place them under 600w HPS's and away we go...the busier we get the more ways we look to save time...not gonna call it cutting corners by no means do I cut corners for quality, but if we can save a little time and funds along the way then that just makes it better for an old fart like me.

Lowman

For those that have tried this method...I think you will find a lot less stretch in flower. After vegging with the 12/1 schedule and then flowering at 11/13....I only had about 6" up and 6" outward stretch( I grow bare bulb vert).

Plants that have been sprouted or cloned under this 12/1 schedule show no signs different than conventional vegging schedule's.

I did not continue with the flowering schedule of turning the lights back 1/2 hour every two weeks. I have just left it on 11 hours.

I really didn't want to take the chance of screwing up my flower room. Maybe one of the next runs I will try the flowering schedule. But to this point( a couple of months), I can't see changing from the 12/1 schedule in veg.

I like the idea but I can't bring myself to go against nature. I also don't know why everyone is all about even numbers (16/8 or 18/6) which is why I'm going to veg at 17/7 and do a 4-stage flowering cycle of 12-12, 11.5-12.5, 11-13, 10.5-13.5 (2 weeks each).

Skunkenstein

I too Read this article in Skunk mag. Since My plants were just about ready to Flip, Dialing back my Timer 1hr. was just sooo Easy to Do. This particular run is very Hazey, and anything to Cut down on the 2week stretch is all Good with Me! I'm going to run 11/13 all the way through till harvest. A good friend is going to do the Same 11/13, and subtract 15min. every 7 days, so we can compare Differences. Kinda funny that this info has been around forever..Goes to show ya the Power of a well placed Article!! I will Definately Give more Comments in the weeks to Come...!

AWAKE

I have been running the 12/1 "gaslight" method for two months now. I have experienced equal or better than normal growth from all plants but one in my stable. My Trainwreck cut can't decide whether it wants to flower or veg, and is exhibiting some abnormal growth. The overall health of my plants is above average. I switched my flower schedule to 10/14 with positive results as well. The stretch lasted for a normal period, but flower formation seems quicker in strains I've been running for 4+ years.

Just observations. You should try it for yourself.

Peace

supermanlives

Veteran
i tried 10/14 and did a side by side when og was up. yield was less but plants finished faster. i wont be doing it again

T

the med man

hey guys, i will be doing the med-man method from front to back on my next thread in 40 days. with the 12/1 schematic.....

i just will be doing it in veg tho not flowering. ive never had bigger higher quality yields combined with any more then 13 hours dark, so it will still be 12/12 flower, mm

mr.brunch

Veteran
lol? wtf is natural about a 1 hour burst of light at midnight? moon exploding or something? this is an interesting and entirely viable experiment, but i dont think there is anything more natural about that light cycle.
:yeahthats

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Earth's sister sun that has gone dark? Reflections of supernova's?
I distance myself from the 'natural' claim.

I like my lights bright enough to pound light all the way to the center of a leaf, but more than 14 hours of that intensity is way overkill. Dropping the light under 14 hours puts the plant to bud.

Unless one of the hours is dead center plant midnight. Totally destroys every budding hormone produced and allows me to go max brightness for 13 hours, gaining full DLI.

I like it.

O

OrganicOzarks

Here you go. These normally do not push out the hairs like they are doing. They look like they want to flower so bad, but just can't.

I am sold from the electricity savings. Now if they start flower faster like it has been said then I will be double sold.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Here you go. These normally do not push out the hairs like they are doing. They look like they want to flower so bad, but just can't.

I am sold from the electricity savings. Now if they start flower faster like it has been said then I will be double sold.
they look like they want to explode!:plant grow:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
ok i see what you're talking about now. my clones do that when i take them after flowering starts. cool. i already know what happens after that point when i throw em into flower.
picture.php

all bud, all bud!

O

OrganicOzarks

These are 3 days into flowering with 11/13 light schedule. They are the same plants that I have shown that were in 12/1 for veg. I think the pictures speak for themselves.

They are already forming buds. I am going to guess that these are going to finish out faster than normal. We will see.

:bump:Looks good OO, definetely seems to be far along for 3 days 11/13

I decided to give 12+1 a try a couple of weeks ago, and it has worked well for me, as my plants continue to veg away. I can not say with the
utmost certainty that it is vegging at a similar rate as I received using 16/8, but it does "appear" to be the case.

It will be interesting to see how others like the gradual decline in light during flower,I will likely stay with my 11/13, as I dont use digital timers
and it seems it would leave more room for errors.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
With you on that one.
My main budroom is 12/12-24/7 year round, plants go in, plants come out. The room light never varies.

The 12/1 veg light is established technology now. I did bump the veg light to budroom intensity, certainly did not hurt.
Bumped the red for the indica's also, seemed to like it. Sativa did not, had to segregate the veg plants by strain for efficiency.

O

OrganicOzarks

I have the plants above on the staggered lighting schedule. They start out on 11/13 for the first two weeks. Then 10.5/13.5 for the next two weeks. then 10/14 for the next two weeks. Then 9.5/14.5 for the next two weeks. Then 9/15 for the last weeks. I have already past the first two weeks, and am now running 10.5/13.5 . I will post some update pics soon. My plants are much further along, and much bigger than they normally would be at this point. I am sold on the 12/1 veg. So far i am also sold on the flowering schedule. I am very interested to see how fast they finish, and how big they get.

glasseye

have been reading about this on other sites for the last month or so.... heres what i have learned. i have just finishing vegging 12 clones on the 12/1 cycle for the last 4 weeks and they look great. tight nodes and great branch growth, around 16" high.

this schedule didnt harm these plans in any way! this is the first time i have tried this schedule. and i'm saving money as well! i think i like it. i am interested to see if they hair up quicker when i flip them, will report back when i have an opinion.