What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fresh Seaweed in a hydro tomato system?

majortom9

Hey all. I have some maiders in a aeroflo knock off and have been seeing some micro nute deficiency's . Cant really afford to buy any micro formula because I am merely a broken house painter and that would cut into my beer money :). Was wondering if I could puree some seaweed, strain it and use that for a supplement or if it would need to be broken down over time because of its organic composition. Plus, could it cause me problems with bacteria or other undesirable nasties? I run a sterile reservoir with no bennies at all. Unit is outside so I use household bleach to keep it under controll at about 7ml for my 20 gal res. Any insight or other recommendations?
PEACE

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
haha,

well did you do it?

my opinion if running a sterile system, don't even think about it. that would end my quest there.. second that's gonna clog parts already just thinking about it..

second, give bennie's a try, it can run your hydro higher temps without root rot problems, and bleach.. you want that near your tomatoes???

anyways.. a balanced nutrient would do you good. what do you run? as GH or most any hydro formulated nutrient has all you need in it. pH , res dumps, strength of nute, and ratios of nutes all have there role to play in a hydro system and deficiencies..

NOTB

waayyy to much sodium unless you treat it first?....i eat the stuff once in a while ...but for nute's? nope.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
seaweed has lots of salt in it.... you can wash it again and again and again to get it off. but i wouldnt put it in your hydro system. foliar feed it

majortom9

Thanks guys, and maybe gals. I didn't try it, my tomatoes actually aren't lacking. I saw some purple in the new growth and panicked I reckon. They have bounced back and are doing really well. habeeb....the bleach works , I believe better than h2o2. My res temps have been as hot as 90 and absolutely no signs of ANY foul nastiness growing, not even a displeasing odor. Reservoir smells like a root cellar. I also have been supplementing my nutrients with about 40 ml of raw sea salt...everything is fine. It adds minerals and micro nutrients not found in most nutrients, and boosts plants immune defense. The Septora spot that struck them has all but dissapeared, its still there but not nearly as prolific as it was to begin with. Im convinced that sea salt will remain in my hydro bag of tricks from here on. I will post some pics if I ever get the motivation up to take some. Thanks everyone.

garyw

This year(2019) I have added 2, 5 gallon buckets full of fresh seaweed to my 2'wide x 8' long by 2' deep deep no bottom in raised bed. I added one bucket first of Apil and one first of May I will plant my plants June 1st. Have anyone of you used raw seaweed ? I intend to also use Bat guano. This is my second year. I live on the beach in Southern Oregon coast. lots of free seaweed.

Latest posts

Latest posts