What's new

WINTER GARDEN!!!

D

Durdy

Thought the other plants deserved some love too

Just got a new raised bed, filled with leftover / used soil and sphagnum from my summer gardens

Got some Cauliflower, Broccoli, Red / Yellow Onions, and some snow peas!

DSCN2185.jpg

DSCN2187.jpg

DSCN2188.jpg

DSCN2189.jpg

DSCN2190.jpg

Mrgrowem

Durdy,

I see you have some broccoli plants ! I have something you might want to try. I accidentally discovered this. I wont get into the details of how it came about cause it would just waste space. Force the plants to lay on their sides and you can have several very nice heads instead of all those little side sprouts. The plant will treat each each side stem as if it were a main stem. And each of those stems will still give some small heads too.

As you know broccoli plants are big. It's hard to get them to lay down. I push mine over when their about a foot tall, much later and this won't work as well. Tying them down is not as easy as a cannabis plant. I get anywhere from 4 to 8 store size heads from each plant. It saves allot of space too. If it works for ya, don't give out my secret, LOL

D

Durdy

Durdy,

I see you have some broccoli plants ! I have something you might want to try. I accidentally discovered this. I wont get into the details of how it came about cause it would just waste space. Force the plants to lay on their sides and you can have several very nice heads instead of all those little side sprouts. The plant will treat each each side stem as if it were a main stem. And each of those stems will still give some small heads too.

As you know broccoli plants are big. It's hard to get them to lay down. I push mine over when their about a foot tall, much later and this won't work as well. Tying them down is not as easy as a cannabis plant. I get anywhere from 4 to 8 store size heads from each plant. It saves allot of space too. If it works for ya, don't give out my secret, LOL

Thanks for the tip MR.growem! I would love to try it but unfortunetly i feel i may have placed the plants to close together to do that.......oh well we'll see, but if not next winter for sure!

catcherintheye

awesome, snow peas sound tasty, did some work with my recycled soil and a bag of coco, planted some beet, spinach, lettuce, cabbage and brussel sprouts today. hopefully they do well, ill take a quick pic!

LOL theyre not too happy, lemme give em a week or so.My damn starts always come with like 6 sprouts started in each of the 4 pack or 6 pack compartments, i cant stand killing the weaker sprouts so i seperate the roots and it stresses em a bit, but i can use all six sprouts instead of killing the weaker ones. damn you bonnie farms, learn how to germ seeds better. ten fuckin seeds in each one of the 6 pack containers does not fly.

D

Durdy

awesome, snow peas sound tasty, did some work with my recycled soil and a bag of coco, planted some beet, spinach, lettuce, cabbage and brussel sprouts today. hopefully they do well, ill take a quick pic!

Awesome! i love re-using my soil and coco in my raised beds. This summer I'm thinking of setting up a hoop house and using 200 or 300 gallon smart pots as raised beds, hopefully get a big tomato and gangja harvest from it :dance013:

PS Catcher.....feel free to post your garden pics here!

catcherintheye

SWEET! here durdy look!

sorry its sideways, these are green globe artichokes two big bastards there and elephant garlic in front of the fence. I got imperial star aritchokes too theyre all over the yard.

Red leaf, romaine, arugula and some new spinach sprouts.

again sorry its sideways, bulls blood beets I just planted, cabbage, brussels, turnips a skrawbury plant, some brackberries in the back.

Everythings organic aside from the starts I purchase, its just compost teas, nothing else.

I was thinking of a hoop house too durdy but dont wana call too much attention. all my neighbors and the copter see me with my trees in the summer. it sketches me bad but two years and no problems. Plus its all for my sick little mind and its my legal medicine. Thank you 215.

I heard ppl once this past sumer walking their dog past my house while I was on the comp by the window and they said it smelled like skunk, lol.

Edit: after that snow pea post, I had sugar snaps and snow peas with butter and soy sauce for two days haha.+rep

D

Durdy

Looks dank catcher! Can't wait to see how those artichokes turn out for ya!

Once I get some more free time I'm definitely gonna start doing the compost tea thing and what not. This summer its pure organic mania! hahaha

I can understand not wanting to build a hoophouse I'm on the fence about it, as my current greenhouse (8 X 10)works great and is low key but some more space would be nice. I know if I saw a hoophouse in someones backyard my mind would jump to Cannabis quick! but thats me.....Idk about average joe.

215 is the shit! haha if you told me when I lived on the east coast six years ago I'd be LEGALLY growing cannabis in my backyard well I'm pretty sure I would've laughed in your face.

picture.php

picture.php

:tiphat:

D

Durdy

PS, I gotta take a shot of the Oregon Sugar snow peas, no peas yet, but absolutely gorgeous plants!

catcherintheye

AHH DAMN NICE BROCCOLI!

The chokes wont come till it gets pretty hot, but I should have soooo many each plant yields 15 plus and i have 4 large plants and three smalls root separations, so seven total, 4 mature, I wana try my hand at wild chokes this year. Ima go find a nice patch somewhere get some nice gloves and harvest me a bunch. They have a small heart and dont taste different from cultivated chokes, theyre just super sharp and will make you bleed if stabbed.

Planted some fat onion starts from my last yr onion grow, i harvested like 25 pounds! I bought two packs of onion starts from my home and garden store and did not expect 25 pounds lol. I weighed myself on a scale holding them.

I planted three tomatoes and goddamn! were still using them from frozen puree. I weighed myself on a scale holding them many times and id say from my cherry tomato, roma, and mr stripey hydrid i yielded well over 100 pounds, I couldnt give em away in time, many would fall off the plant and compost. now there are tomato seedlings sprouted everywhere in beetween those beets and whatnot in the photos, but now im just shooting the shit and ranting. peace! ill keep some updates coming. As I harvest things and plant new starts.

D

Durdy

That sounds awesome catcher! I'd chat some more but i must be gettin on the road.

D

Durdy

PS the broccoli was FUGGIN DELICIOUS! had it with chicken, and rice :)

D

Durdy

Hey Catcher, I wonder How hungry the first person to eat an artichoke was, those things always looks viscous! Good luck with your wild chokes this year, that sounds fun! I might have to throw a few in with my guerilla patch this year hehehe

Latest posts

Latest posts