What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HID Bhut Jolokia growlog ...

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Three gallons should be fine.

What the hell are you going to do with two hundred fifty peppers?

:D

PS If you think that pepper forum has something on IC, we're going to have issues. I've been growing peppers as long as I've been growing ganja. ;)

OZZ_

Veteran
LMAO ......... never in a million.

Oh, and what am I going to do with that many?

EAT THEM :laughing::dance013:

Chopped up, plenty of hot sauce, and plenty of dried powders baby.

If I wanted to top these plants.... how much longer before I do, do you think? Getting pretty close I would think... maybe another leafset or two?

OZZ_

Veteran
Just topped 'em. Ill give them a week to recover or so and post some updates. Thanks for the input Mustard.

OZZ_

Veteran
As I mentioned I topped 'em this morning ... come home today and notice some leaf curl just starting up. This wouldnt have anything to do with the topping would it??

Isnt leaf curl suppossed to be indicative of calcium deficiency??

Im wondering if I should top dress with a little lime? Maybe 1/2 teaspoon per pot (remember these are only 5"x5"x6" pots at the moment).

Either that or maybe its time to transplant into the 3 gallons. I thought they could go a little longer in these pots though, at least until they recovered from the topping this morning.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• leaf curl (1 of 2).jpg
    leaf curl (1 of 2).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 18
  • leaf curl (2 of 2).jpg
    leaf curl (2 of 2).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 18

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
They look picture perfect in my opinion.

I like to throw all the stress at plants all at once... if I'm going to top and transplant it happens in the same day.

I wish I wasn't such a mean mofo but sometimes those plants ask for it! :spanky:

OZZ_

Veteran
lol ... I hear ya. Then I wont worry to much about the leaf curl, although I still think something is up with it. Im betting when I transplant though that will rectify any deficiencies and maybe Ill add an extra tablespoon of lime per gallon of soil. I only added one per gallon in the first place and that pine bark is pretty acidic to it wouldnt hurt to add 2 tablespoons per gallon I wouldnt think. Actually it will end up being less cuz Im cutting it all with straight promix. Im still not 100% sure about that pine bark, I wont ever use it again but I dont want to scrap 30 gallons of nute ammended soil either so Im gonna cut it 50% with promix. Hopefully it will be ok.

As far as transplanting goes though, I put them into these 5"x5" pots on the 11th. Thats only just over two weeks ago. I think Im gonna give them another week before I stick them into the 3 gallons. Ill do it next weekend ;) Hell that will still only be 3 weeks that they were in the 5x5's.

Space Toker

Veteran
sounds and looks great. hmmm, I didn't know you are supposed to top peppers, maybe that's why mine get like 3-4 feet tall outdoors. Hot peppers smaller, 2-3 feet maybe. Where is the best source for seeds? (if quality is equal, I'd obviously want the cheapest, but quality comes first)

Forest20

ICmag's Official Black Guy
Veteran
I was wondering what the name of this pepper Medfinder I have some growing as well..

attachment.php

OZZ_

Veteran
sounds and looks great. hmmm, I didn't know you are supposed to top peppers, maybe that's why mine get like 3-4 feet tall outdoors. Hot peppers smaller, 2-3 feet maybe. Where is the best source for seeds? (if quality is equal, I'd obviously want the cheapest, but quality comes first)

Try NMSU ... the chilli pepper institute.....or, Ive done a lot of business with totally tomatoes.

420mt

Ancient Alien
Veteran
Howdy ,what a cool thread , here is my bhut Jolokia ghost pepper,the hottest pepper on earth,it got a late start last spring started making blossoms in sept then stopped, I put it inside did not think it would make it through the winter , but now It looks like it will

picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
Welcome 420 ........ nice looking plant. It will make it fine Im betting.

These guys are doing well after their topping!

Attachments

• topped (1 of 3).jpg
    topped (1 of 3).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 14
  • topped (2 of 3).jpg
    topped (2 of 3).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 15
  • topped (3 of 3).jpg
    topped (3 of 3).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 16

420mt

Ancient Alien
Veteran
thanks OZZ, so do I need to prune this thing or just let it grow away, also can I propagate this plant like any other house plant?? thanks for the info,,, peace

OZZ_

Veteran
thanks OZZ, so do I need to prune this thing or just let it grow away, also can I propagate this plant like any other house plant?? thanks for the info,,, peace

Na ... Ild just leave it alone for the winter. Just water it from time to time but dont feed it, it might drop a bunch of leaves and it might not but it doesnt matter in the spring just transplant it into a larger container with some ferts and stick it outside, it will re-grow whatever leaves it dropped and start producing. That pot is way too small for it come spring though, its fine for overwintering .... actually pretty perfect. Just make sure you pot up when spring comes.

Klamath

heya. nice grow man
how do ya push them in to the bloom?
and how many hours do u have the light period now?
do u check the PH?

OZZ_

Veteran
Thanks K...

Peppers bloom when they are ready, it is independant of photoperiod. I have them on a 12/12 light schedule and havent done anything with respect to PH other then adding lime to the soil and bubbling my water beforehand.

Latest posts

Latest posts