What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Step by step bubble cloner set up (good for newb cloners)

G

ive never cloned before, but i was under the impression that clones needed a humidity dome. i was thinking i could buy two of the exact same rubber tubs and throw one over the top of the whole bubbler setup, with its walls misted, to keep the plants in a high humidity environment. would this be beneficial or is it totally unnecessary?

ill let you know how it goes :)

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Normally, yes, you need a humidity dome when cloning to help prevent loss of moisture through the leaves.
Unlike most forms of cloning, aero and bubble cloning supply lots of moisture to the plants, usually humidity domes are not used, but I am sure some still do use them, I never have with my cloner.

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
Kinda depends on your cloning method and your temps/RH in your cloning area. I stopped using domes a while back since the ambient RH is high enough around here (plus mold problems when I used it)...but lots of folks have to use them to prevent wilting.

If you're just using RW or RR then you'll probably need the dome...if you're using an aero or bubble cloner you probably won't need it.

hybridtek

Just thought I'd add a good idea for some newbs:

If you want to use the Bubble CLoner as a pre-vegger for DWC (after clones root you want to feed them and get roots longer for netpots and hydroton) Spray paint the outside black and use 1/4 nutrient mix to get them feeding and strong before the move into the veg chamber

I just want to say thanks for the thread. I just got done making a heated and wanted to double check temps. Should I start on 73-75....I've only had limited success with a non-heated cloner (3 clones out of 8 made it) so I’m a bit paranoid. Thanks

Flutch

MTF-Sandman said:
I do...just cut 2" holes in the top, drop in 2" netpots and put the RW cubes in them...

So how those this work? Do you push the clone all the way thru the RW? Is the RW in the water? Are the pots in under the water? Sorry for these questions but I am very interested in doing this.

thanks

Flutch :wave:

CaptJamesTKirk

My tap water is 7.0 PH and the aero cloner seems to work best with untreated tap water and water temps at 80 F.

I've been experimenting with a sheet of paper over the cuttings to reduce the light intensity - photosynsisthis can slow root growing - I think that is why some use a dome also, but IMO air circulation forces the plant to draw water thru the stem and this process works better with roots.

G

this is my first time cloning so bare with me.

do you guys use h2o2 in your cloners? My temps are around 78, i noticed some roots after 4 days! but they have sludge on them. The clones seem fine though. How much should I use, if it all?

Im thinking about changing the water after a week if h2o2 isnt safe. When doing a transplant with clones, how close should the water temps be between the old and fresh water? Is it ok to take them from the 78 degree water straight to the cool 68 degree tap water? Im just curious. I will probably get the new water temp up to like 74. but even then, is an instant 4 degree swing shocking?

Reg Dunlop

I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet,but I like to use a heating pad for heating the bubble cloner.Mine comes with a temp dial which you can set it at, and if the water dosen't heat up quick enough, than I take off the little "carpet thingy" that it comes with until it reaches optimal tempeture,then I put the "little carpet thingy" back on.I bought mine at wal-mart for 25.00.

G

This bubble colner is the SHIZNIT bro :woohoo:

First attempt at cloning and I got 100% success with 2 clones...This is after 8 days in the cloner:

Unfortunately these appear to be from a male :badday: but the method works like stink on a monkey...Did nothing, used tap water (de-clorinated) and weak lighting...Was a little nervous on taking cloners, now I know its EASY as pie!!!

CaptJamesTKirk

heat pads - generally are not temprature adjustable - let alone to a very fine range of temps like an aquarium heater. I wouldn't use them unless temps can be held below 80F.

I've got a het pad set on low and it's over 100!!!! that will kill the cuttings quickly.

Besides not only are aquarium heaters more accurate - they are cheaper.

Get the totaly submersible kind - you won't regret it.

Reg Dunlop

Capt,

I've been using a heating pad for about 2 1/2 years now,without any problems with temps rising to 100, like I said the ones that I have, have an adjustable temp dial on it.What size of rubbermade do you use, I use the long low profile one and it takes quite a bit of water to fill it, but I need a bigger one cuz I need root alot of babies at the same time. Mabey,if your using a smaller container, is why your temps are rising so high {100}I have aquarium heaters, it's just that I don't like cutting holes,and then sealing it and hoping that I don't spring a leak,I have enough of that to deal with in my main system's plumbing, to have to deal with that in my cloning system too.It just comes down to simplicity for me, But what ever works,right? Just my 2 cents

CaptJamesTKirk

I use plastic shoe box sized storage boxes - 2 fit end to end in my space.

That said, I learned early on that the wrong design of lid or top will drain water to the outside. I find it's best to shop for containers that the lid fits up side down, inside the bottom part.

If the lid fits over the resovoir part and around the outside of it, then water can drip past the edge and to places you don't want to get wet

Reg Dunlop

I just measured mine and they're 3ft long 2ft wide and 6'' deep. I never actually measured the amount of water I put in it. So you put your lid on upside down ,then you put your clones in? I've never had a problem with water coming out of my cloner.I usually fill it up to just allow the stems to sit in the water about an inch or so.The first time I seen it on Og, I thought that I'd be super innovative and make the holes the same size as the drill bit so I could fit more in there, that was all fine and dandy till I had to take em out.I've never been so fustrated in my life.Now I know why mechcanics swear so much,I just thought it was cuz they never picked up i high school!

Ganico

Veteran
Haha, well shit just cause some people didn't use h2o2 doesnt mean it doesnt help. Goddamn, you people need to chill the fuck out ASAP. Wishing bad on people for questions on internet forums about PLANTS? I mean seriously, grow the hell up, folks. Myself included for the sake of levity ;)

I was actually wondering the same thing as dude. But I guess I'd better not ask about it though, ha. :jerkit:

"Robble, robble,robble, Johnson didn't do that, and we shouldn't think of adding our own ideas. Fuck any resemblance of the scientific method, robble robble robble"

:badday:

OGPurp

Great thread! I've learned much about aero-cloning, so I'm giving it a try for the next crop. Supplies all came from the worlds biggest retailer:

Two 10" airstones: $7
10' of airline: $1.5
Air pump: $14
Aquarium heater: $14
12 QT latched container: $5
T-valve for airline: $1.5

I first spray-painted the container and lid black to prevent algae growth. After the paint dried, I used a 1 1/4" hole saw to cut 6 holes in the lid for the babies, plus another hole off to the side for the heater cord and airline. The 1 1/4" hole seems to give the 1" RW cubes a nice snug fit. I split the stems of the clones, and they're resting in the bubbling water.

These clones represent all of my genetic inventory. From the top, I've got 2 clones of Mango, my tried-and-true Indica, and a Sensi Star.

Water temp is 82 F. The heater and light are on 18 hrs/day, and the bubblers are running 24/7. I cover everything with a sheet of white poly during the "night".

Waiting....will update when I see roots

Last edited: