What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cartels involved in Denver Pot Shops- 4 closed down

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Saw this from Huffington Post. Puts a black eye on the hard work having a legit business in Colorado....

"Four Denver-area medical marijuana businesses may be permanently shuttered after federal officials reportedly probing links with Colombian drug cartels raided the shops in November.
The raid on the four interconnected companies came during a search of more than a dozen medical marijuana businesses in Denver and Boulder -- the largest by federal law enforcers on Colorado pot businesses since the state legalized medical marijuana in 2000. The Denver Post reported Tuesday that no federal charges have been filed as a result of the raids and people involved in the businesses denied any connection to illicit drug activity or Colombian drug cartels.
Nevertheless, Colorado marijuana industry regulators are pursuing the shutdown of four of the raided businesses: VIP Cannabis, Kushism, and Highlands Cannabis Co. in Denver, as well as Grateful Meds in Nederland. State regulators notified the four shops on April 3 that state licenses to operate as medical marijuana dispensaries and cultivation facilities would be denied. The state alleged violations of state code that in some cases stretched back to 2012, according to state Marijuana Enforcement Division documents.
"You have operated the licensed premises in a manner that adversely affects the public health or welfare or the safety of the immediate neighborhoods in which your establishments are located," the state notice of denial reads.
The denial notices say regulators have placed administrative holds on the shops' inventory of "marijuana plants, marijuana, finished marijuana products, marijuana-infused products or other marijuana inventory." Shop owners have 60 days to request hearings on the denial notices.
Federal raiders seized more than $2 million worth of marijuana plants and products from VIP Cannabis. Owners Carlos Solano and Gerardo Uribe said the raid forced them to lay off more than 100 employees. They reopened about a month later.
Grateful Meds reopened about a week after the raids. Several other raided shops also have reopened, but Kushism and Highlands Cannabis Co. remain closed.
The Department of Justice has released little about the raids, which came less than two months before Colorado's legal recreational marijuana shops opened. Federal authorities suggested the businesses may not have complied with guidelines outlined in DOJ's August memo that assented to the new retail marijuana laws in Colorado and Washington state.
“While the investigation is ongoing, there are strong indications that more than one of the eight federal prosecution priorities identified in the Department of Justice’s August guidance memo are potentially implicated," Jeff Dorschner, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's office, said of the November raids.
The DOJ guidance says federal authorities will continue to prosecute to prevent:

• The distribution of marijuana to minors;
  • Revenue from the sale of marijuana from going to criminal enterprises, gangs and cartels;
  • The diversion of marijuana from states where it is legal under state law in some form to other states;
  • State-authorized marijuana activity from being used as a cover or pretext for the trafficking of other illegal drugs or other illegal activity;
  • Violence and the use of firearms in the cultivation and distribution of marijuana
  • Drugged driving and the exacerbation of other adverse public health consequences associated with marijuana use;
  • Growing of marijuana on public lands and the attendant public safety and environmental dangers posed by marijuana production on public lands; and
  • Marijuana possession or use on federal property.
"There is little information available about the details of the cases against these businesses, and we will be awaiting further details as they are released," Michael Elliott, executive director of the Marijuana Industry Group, told The Huffington Post. "We continue to believe that everyone needs to abide by the 500 pages of state marijuana law in Colorado, which includes state and local licensing, background checks, financial disclosures, mandatory video surveillance, testing for potency and harmful contaminants, child-resistant packaging, labeling, and seed-to-sale tracking with mandatory RFID tags."

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
How do you prove you aren't funded by a Colombian drug cartel??!....Lolz that's f-ed up. Cost 100 people their jobs. Silly if they think this stops anything everybody has their hand in the green rush from Russian mafia to common street gangs of all races. Some places here in LA don't even try and hide it have cholos with clear head hood tattoos budtending.

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
By the way if this is what Cali legalization is going to look like I'm voting no on that shit 500 pages of mj law mandatory video surveillance pass... "We continue to believe that everyone needs to abide by the 500 pages of state marijuana law in Colorado, which includes state and local licensing, background checks, financial disclosures, mandatory video surveillance, testing for potency and harmful contaminants, child-resistant packaging, labeling, and seed-to-sale tracking with mandatory RFID tags."

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fuck the feds. They raid marijuana businesses in states where they're legal because they're easy targets. They shut down businesses and ruin people's lives because that's all they know. They'll keep doing it until we elect a president who stands up to them and ends the raids for good.

DabOnDabs

Veteran
How do you prove you aren't funded by a Colombian drug cartel??!....Lolz that's f-ed up. Cost 100 people their jobs. Silly if they think this stops anything everybody has their hand in the green rush from Russian mafia to common street gangs of all races. Some places here in LA don't even try and hide it have cholos with clear head hood tattoos budtending.

Before you talk about a scene you're not apart of, do some research.

Fuck these dispensaries. Fuck em! For real. In the ass. Kushism is run by some crazy gangster armenians. VIP is also shady as fuck, and have been in trouble before.

These idiots were given a rule book by the state..

Essential: "Follow these rules and we wont fuck with you"...

Obviously they have problems following the rules, and are fucking it up for the rest of the stores.

I hope they close even more of the crooked shops around. Start with Frosted Leaf, and move on from their. These places are all about profits, and dont give a fuck about the patient.

If you dont want your shop shut down, STOP BREAKING THE LAW ASSHOLE!

theJointedOne

Veteran
Fuck the feds. They raid marijuana businesses in states where they're legal because they're easy targets. They shut down businesses and ruin people's lives because that's all they know. They'll keep doing it until we elect a president who stands up to them and ends the raids for good.

FUCK THE FEDS!

punk ass bitch bumbaclots fucks

PURE BABYLON

DabOnDabs

Veteran

Notice how they're only going after certain ones, and the same ones at that. Its the ones who cant figure out how to read and follow the fucking rules, aka the idiots. Do you really want a bunch of idiot gangsters supplying your bud, or would you rather it be from a professional source?

Who would you rather buy a computer from? Apple, or your neighbor?

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Notice how they're only going after certain ones, and the same ones at that. Its the ones who cant figure out how to read and follow the fucking rules, aka the idiots. Do you really want a bunch of idiot gangsters supplying your bud, or would you rather it be from a professional source?

Who would you rather buy a computer from? Apple, or your neighbor?

I grow my own, but if I was looking to buy I'd want to buy it from a professional source. Anyone growing and selling weed is a professional in my eyes.

The real gangsters are the guys with badges. How many lives have they ruined just here in California? They bust state legal dispensary owners and sentence them to decades in prison. Add 10 years minimum if they own a gun to protect their business. They make up excuses to justify doing what they love doing, busting nonviolent drug "criminals".

MrGoodBudz

Veteran
I'm glad they are closed. Should have happened sooner. I'm pretty sure that I knew the dirt on most of theses criminals before the Feds did. They were "bad actors". Laszlo Bagi with Swiss medicals and such got denied all his licenses as well. That was not on the news. He had several stores and grows. Only problem with me is that he was given the oppportinity to sell his businesses before the state denial and DID sell them. He had what a dirty mmed agent helping him for years.

MIway

Veteran
Before you talk about a scene you're not apart of, do some research.

Fuck these dispensaries. Fuck em! For real. In the ass. Kushism is run by some crazy gangster armenians. VIP is also shady as fuck, and have been in trouble before.

These idiots were given a rule book by the state..

Essential: "Follow these rules and we wont fuck with you"...

Obviously they have problems following the rules, and are fucking it up for the rest of the stores.

I hope they close even more of the crooked shops around. Start with Frosted Leaf, and move on from their. These places are all about profits, and dont give a fuck about the patient.

If you dont want your shop shut down, STOP BREAKING THE LAW ASSHOLE!

of course there are shady, shitty people that do really bad things. but just because 'its the law' , doesnt make the law right/good/just.

using u'r sentiment... 'these [laws] are all about profits, and dont give a fuck about the patient.'

Jhhnn

Veteran
It's part of the process of moving out of the black market, establishing a legal market.

Gangsta's gotta go, or go legit. It's what we have to do, both for ourselves & to keep the feds happy.

Legalize it. Regulate it. Tax it. It's the grand bargain that created retail weed, and the right to grow our own at the same time. It's a good deal.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is just known as a pretense. The FEDS are trying to weaken us. One can see this as the most recent efforts to pass watered down mmj laws were thankfully not passed. The remaining states interested in MMJ laws will not pass anything like whats found in Cali or CO. The control of the production and distribution will be state run overseen by the FEDS.

This bothers me. I want my chance.

sdd420

Veteran
The best we can hope for with legalization is making it just like beer. You can buy it from a store(plus tax) or brew your own(pay taxes on the ingredients) . Tax it keep it away from kids and we are good. Or grow your own herb and pay taxes on seeds and fertilizer etc. As each new state goes legal it puts pressure on the Feds to do the same , other countries are headed there too. Peace sdd

Jhhnn

Veteran
of course there are shady, shitty people that do really bad things. but just because 'its the law' , doesnt make the law right/good/just.

using u'r sentiment... 'these [laws] are all about profits, and dont give a fuck about the patient.'

Gangsters def don't care at all.

I don't pretend to understand the med side of CO cannabis. I never was a part of it. I think we need to keep it, and current med grower policy. OTOH, people involved in that will be under additional scrutiny. They're looking for people pushing the envelope or even more, trying to rein that in. It's a good time for everybody to get their act together & keep it that way as pure self defense.

The people who got shut down didn't have their act together. When the Feds connected them to a notorious underworld figure in Florida, they were toast.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In other news, people on a cannabis forum are defending DEA raids against stoners trying to make a living from selling our favorite plant.

Jhhnn

Veteran
In other news, people on a cannabis forum are defending DEA raids against stoners trying to make a living from selling our favorite plant.

Oh, please. You try to make it sound like this was just some guy with a few plants in his basement.

Here's a pic of one taken in Uribe's $1.3M dollar home-

20131125__hector-diaz-comlaint~p1.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...rrested-feds-marijuana-raids-that-seized-guns

Allegedly obtained from an email on this guy's computer-

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2013/11/marijuana_dea_pot_raids_colorado_tony_montana.php

Which is where all of this really started.

If nothing else, it illustrates the fact that when you lie down with the dogs, you'll end up with some fleas.

Colorado authorities will increasingly insist that licensed providers are squeaky clean to protect the industry as a whole. Right, wrong or indifferent, that's just the way it is.

DabOnDabs

Veteran

In more relevant news, ignorance is bliss. Are you too blind to see the actual issue here, or too stupid to understand it?

"raids against stoners..." You have "stoners" and "cartel" mixed up. Cartels dont sit around and get high and do nothing. They chop people up, murder family members, spread terror, etc. all for profit.

On that note, you've never been to any of these dispensarys. You live in Cali. Yal get good shit in your stores. Out here, we get 90% bullshit, with 10% awesome. Seriously, I would say that almost 90% of the dispensaries here have some trash on the shelves. Not just bud, everything. Wax, shatter, edibles, etc. Why? Because basement growers arent competing and putting the best shit on the shelves..That's illegal here---Not in Cali.

Dispensarys grow 70-80-90-100% of their own product. That means 300 light warehouses, with one base nutrient schedule, and a buncha bud that comes out looking like outdoor.

And then, the gangsters running the shops...... You gotta be fucking kidding me m314.

redlaser

Veteran
I grow my own, but if I was looking to buy I'd want to buy it from a professional source. Anyone growing and selling weed is a professional in my eyes.

You must realize some growers will spray whatever it takes to make sure a crop finishes to sell, using pesticides listed for ornamental use only. Nobody tests for pesticide residues unless specifically asked.