What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Decarb before which step?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And just to be clear: you were thinking I'm going to put weed in water and into a rotovap... sent me a presentation about how to google. I should be the one "facepalming", but no smiley by that name here, and also I'm not that kind of person.

Write the replies, smoke a joint, read again, think about it, and then post them, this is totally honest advice, I do the same, if not I usually regret it or edit multiple times.

Didn't take you long to figure out ol' Dougie.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Why decarb at which step? There are many opinions, even in this thread and my "rotovap uses" thread.
This is why I said to look up and read the threads Ringdoggie has contributed to and started. Not to be rude, but I type things for a reason.

In a sentence, you're preserving the terpenes throughout the heating and cooling process of decarboxylation.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is why I said to look up and read the threads Ringdoggie has contributed to and started. Not to be rude, but I type things for a reason.

In a sentence, you're preserving the terpenes throughout the heating and cooling process of decarboxylation.

They're talking about making distillate. Talking about terpene preservation you might as well be babbling about which direction cow shit falls.

This is what I meant by you don't even know you're in the pool.

zanog

Is this correct? Is it better to decarb before extraction?

(I know you are an extraction maestro Troutman, I only ask for confirmation because I don't know a single thing about the subject.)
Well I found this but it does not seem to work, for me at least: (FORUM WONT LET ME EDIT THE S OF HTTPS OFF, you should do it yourself!)
https://showme.physics.drexel.edu/onsc/models/multisolvent.php?solutename=thc-a-a&solutesmiles=CCCCCC1%3DCC2%3DC%28%5BC%40%40H%5D3C%3DC%28CC%5BC%40H%5D3C%28O2%29%28C%29C%29C%29C%28%3DC1C%28%3DO%29O%29O&solvent=heptane&solventsmiles=CCCCCCC&sdm=0.0&sdc=1.92
https://showme.physics.drexel.edu/o...eptane&solventsmiles=CCCCCCC&sdm=0.0&sdc=1.92
By this not really working calculator ethyl-acetate would be the ultimate solvent by that list and ... see for yourself. THC-A solubility is higher, its probably buggy, what is the formula? how to calculate predicted solubility?

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

So I went and did what I typed and I have to apologize. I'm unable to easily find what he posted and I'll have to track it down.

In a nutshell you're keeping much more of the terpene profile intact. Heating up terpenes does vaporize many of them, but they also condense as it cools down later. I'm guessing it's the sealed environment which makes the difference, not necessarily hot water in a bag. Basic physics.

Decarbing is also a time/temp conversion and, as far as I'm aware from current processes, precise control of both is much easier pre-extraction.

zanog

So I went and did what I typed and I have to apologize. I'm unable to easily find what he posted and I'll have to track it down.

In a nutshell you're keeping much more of the terpene profile intact. Heating up terpenes does vaporize many of them, but they also condense as it cools down later. I'm guessing it's the sealed environment which makes the difference, not necessarily hot water in a bag. Basic physics.

Decarbing is also a time/temp conversion and, as far as I'm aware from current processes, precise control of both is much easier pre-extraction.
Thanks for the apology, I'm going to work from ditch weed, and discard terpenes probably. I'm going for clean almost pure separated cannabinoids.

zanog

Well I found this but it does not seem to work, for me at least: (FORUM WONT LET ME EDIT THE S OF HTTPS OFF, you should do it yourself!)
https://showme.physics.drexel.edu/o...eptane&solventsmiles=CCCCCCC&sdm=0.0&sdc=1.92
By this not really working calculator ethyl-acetate would be the ultimate solvent by that list and ... see for yourself. THC-A solubility is higher, its probably buggy, what is the formula? how to calculate predicted solubility?

I found this also: https://blog.restek.com/?p=3018 contradicts this damn calculator.

zanog

If you notice on that link that Hexane produces the clearest and less chlorophyll extract.

Methanol extracts more, but produces a very dark green chlorophyll extract.

I plan on doing dry n-Hexane and dry Ethanol (100%) extracts soon.

The less water in your solvent the better I think.
Someone should measure thc-a and thc solubility in several solvents, I'm surprised that no one did so far. Someone easily could do this.

Douglas.Curtis

Thanks for the apology, I'm going to work from ditch weed, and discard terpenes probably. I'm going for clean almost pure separated cannabinoids.
If you have no interest in terpenes simply decarb in an oven like the old way.

zanog

If you notice on that link that Hexane produces the clearest and less chlorophyll extract.

Methanol extracts more, but produces a very dark green chlorophyll extract.

I plan on doing dry n-Hexane and dry Ethanol (100%) extracts soon.

The less water in your solvent the better I think.
Yes, I know about water... future told me in this thread already I think.

Actually for extraction I'm thinking about this:
https://www.hielscher.com/wp-conten...ound-Assisted-Extraction-of-Food-Products.png
(the forum don't let me insert it as an image)
that's an ultrasonic homogenizer, I guess it would be really effective.
Djenni-et-al.-2012-Sono%E2%80%93Soxhlet-In-Situ-Ultrasound-Assisted-Extraction-of-Food-Products.png

Douglas.Curtis

The main question is to decarb before or after extraction and why. That's why we talk about solubility here.
A good point, which is affected by the end product being targeted. Which is easier to separate to individual cannabinoids, Decarbed or Virgin extract? There's where solubility will be different.

zanog

THC is more soluble. :tiphat:
Are you sure? I'm not anymore, I have 3 "respectable" sources, one of them is you, the 2 others told me that thc-a is more soluble, I'm still waiting from answers from others but I think we need to get someone to do the experiment and publish logs. What do you think? I would if I could get pure concentrates, but I can't get any concentrates :( (how come there is no sad smiley here? )

Also, no one comments on how that predictor works, I think it might be even right. Also thca is water soluble in higher ph, so variables might make a huge difference. I'm gonna write to that edu site to ask for that php source, or reference calculations. But someone can make the experiment easily, just measure undissolved on both sides.

Last edited: