What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Double Ended Bulbs vs Traditional Bulbs Part 1

D

Drek

Good stuff. I'm predicting that the plants under the Hortilux will be a bit healthier (greener) in the end, due to it's marginally better overall spectrum. But even at that, it's still HPS vs HPS. The Gavita imo, while being a marvel of engineering, is purposefully lacking. Manufacturers freely admit that 2100k HPS lights are basically considered as an amendment for flowering only. What would really be kickass is to see a side by side with CMH 860 vs 1k Gavita. That would be interesting to see.

Hope everything is ok with the health, the most important thing of all.

Last edited:

Stephenj37826

The ac/de is the most efficient reflector on the market. The new evolution is the same reflector except se. I'm positive that the de side will win this current test. That ac/de is one bad mofo. You won't be disappointed.

S

SooperSmurph

After not seeing the plants for 5 days while I was hospitalized, there is definitely a difference in appearance, I hope this translates into real differences in numbers :)

S

SooperSmurph

Observations thus far:

The DE Bulb starts up and peaks faster.
Both the brightness level and spectrum are visibly different, the Gavita is definitely brighter, and has a deeper orange tone than its Hortilux counterpart.

Snype

Veteran
Observations thus far:

The DE Bulb starts up and peaks faster.
Both the brightness level and spectrum are visibly different, the Gavita is definitely brighter, and has a deeper orange tone than its Hortilux counterpart.

I know this may be a tough question, but can you estimate what setting you would put the Gavita on to be comparable to a 1,000 watt Hortilux foot print? Is it possible that running the Gavita at 600 watts will produce a similar amount of light compared to a 1,000 watt Lumatek? If not what setting would you say would be comparable?

S

SooperSmurph

So, premliminary results from the plants that were partially grown under traditional lights and then switched to DEs:

No extensive change in flower structure or bulkiness as they grew, though the plants under the DE lights did display larger foxtails than their sisters across the room.

Yields under the DE light were slightly higher, but only by about 9%, so the next round should give us more information with which to base any conclusions on.

Current batch under the lights is mostly Blackbery, we'll see how they enjoy these lights since they're getting them from start to finish.

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
Years later the message is consistent 20% increase over hortilux in magnums all day.

Gavita's are the way to go if you've got the space. If you are in a small space, go with the AC/DE from Sunlight Supply with the Ushio bulb.

I haven't seen as nice of results from epaps and the newer phantom DE's.

I just installed 3 AC/DE's. These are something nasty. My footprint is now longer. The room is so much brighter. I used to be able to walk in to 3 1ks easily for a few seconds, now I need glasses or I'll be seeing stars for 5 min.

Obviously way to early too tell and since my numbers are up I won't have the comparison. BUT, I am able to run more, so there's that.

S

SooperSmurph

so just to make things official the DE bulb is officially amazing it is still just as bright as when I bought it several months ago and it still gives my plants Sun burns if I make the mistake of ratcheting it down during the period while plants are smaller. Summary: it is an amazing product and I am super happy about the energy savings. Yield increase range was 9% to 15%.

Anyone rocking the nanolux de fixture? Those look like they have sum nice advantages over other de fixtures.

Also has anyone did a test of de bulbs vs se bulbs? Specifically, I have always been able to get my hortilux/lumatek/xxxl magnum hood about 18 inches to the top of my 4x4 canopy@1000w. Whereas with de bulbs I have to be 3 ft away or else. So in theory wouldn't my par numbers be higher with the se bulbs 18 inches away vs the de bulb 36 inches away? I read somewhere that for every 6 inches closer the bulb is to the canopy, the par numbers rise substantially. So 18 inches closer than a de bulb could ever get means better par right? Not to mention, my plants always look way greener and healthier under single ended bulbs and the plants drink way less nutes.