What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Not So Solventless Clear Concentrate From Harborside!

RHH

They use a steam distillation process to polish the starting product then add terps are added to mimic the ratio in a certain strain. I don't think it's a secret anymore how they are creating this stuff. Would be curious to see what @greywolf thinks of the steam distillation.

Yeah, it's steam distillation... but the devil is in the details. ;)

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They use a steam distillation process to polish the starting product then add terps are added to mimic the ratio in a certain strain. I don't think it's a secret anymore how they are creating this stuff. Would be curious to see what @greywolf thinks of the steam distillation.

Not sure how you polish with steam, but essential oils have been extracted from plants using saturated steam for a long time. Steam works well for the mono and sesquiterpenes, but the diterpene cannabinoids are at the extreme end of steam extraction, so not so well.

We considered a dual extraction using steam for the mono and sesquiterpenes, followed by a solvent extraction for the diterpenes, after which we would recombine them, but the steam also affects the diterpenes, so we are now looking at possibly using CO2 for the lighter terpenes and a solvent for the rest.

More when our test equipment arrives.

All this secret keeping in regards to processes is bs.....at the ens of the day sharing your secrets is going to lead to medical users having easier access to higher quality meds, more affordables meds,and less unsafe lower quality meds will be out there.

Greywolf thant you for always sharing freely all of your info! Your site and posts are always my go to for accurate extract info!

All this secret keeping in regards to processes is bs.....at the ens of the day sharing your secrets is going to lead to medical users having easier access to higher quality meds, more affordables meds,and less unsafe lower quality meds will be out there.

It is completely understandable that they do not share the process to their signature product.

Cartel530

Veteran
It sure would krunch... Much like the safrole will be destroyed before you can pull it from the sassafrass..... Unless we pull a vacuum :). In this case you could probably even get away with using a simple aspirator hooked to your sink but most of has some verrry nice vac pumps already haha. You can then pull what your looking for at a much lower boiling point and recovering the said compound. Start researching the way companies are producing other aromatic and essential oils.

mofeta

Veteran
EDIT: I didn't see that you had already mentioned the reduced pressure steam distillation Cartel530.

You can manipulate the pressure under which you are doing your steam distillation.

Reduced pressures allow lower temperatures, for delicate terpenes:

attachment.php

Or, conversely you can used increased pressure to really strip your desired compounds, even from raw material. High pressure steam passed through plant material can really rip the more stubborn compounds right out.

Doing a reduced pressure run to snag the aromatics and then a high to get the other stuff might work pretty good.

Would you smoke oil that was made from the THC from some weed, with linalool that was steam distilled from organic lavender?

Attachments

• vacuum_steam2.jpg
    vacuum_steam2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 17

Cartel530

Veteran
Vacuum distill the hash oil with the D-Limonene to recover the thc. Then add what you get from the steam distillation for the flavor ;)

mofeta

Veteran
Vacuum distill the hash oil with the D-Limonene to recover the thc. Then add what you get from the steam distillation for the flavor ;)

I like the idea of extracting with limonene and then distilling.

Are you sure that steam distillation would degrade THC to a significant degree? From what I understand this occurs at prolonged exposure to >200 deg C.

hammalamma

Veteran
How is that scary? Because you're not the one doing it? Fo you think people turning trim into BHO is scary? After all, they are taking THC out of the lowest potency part of the plant and creating a high THC product out of it.

If you want to be a granola naturalist about it and only smoke your home grown, outdoor (artificial light is "scary"), no nutrient(unnatural additives), cannabis...well, go ahead.

The rest of us don't care. What we do is lab grade and we are hot on the trail of industry folks. You know, the scientists who have been hammering out essential oil extraction techniques for decades.

From my perspective the purification game is over. We've separated everything effectively. Now it's time to figure out how it should all be put back together and what is responsible for the effects of marijuana. GW understands the medical importance of terpenes, which IMHO, is beneficial but limited. Marijuana is 3rd and 4th line treatment for many conditions. Glaucoma? Use a prostaglandin, muscarinic agonist, or an alpha2 blocker eye drop(depending on if it's open angle or closed angle.

Nausea? Ondansetron shits all over weed in terms of effectiveness.

Weed is useful for people who A) prefer it. Patients are allowed autonomy over their medical decisions. B) are not responsive to 1st and 2nd like treatments.

When I was still an MD(well, I still am) I published in a lot of cancer journals... specifically on the topic of the design of randomized clinical trials and improving forecasting of outcomes. I also worked on projects to optimize dose delivery of radiation therapy to targeted areas to intensify treatment and...well, that's enough about me. But yeah, THC ain't going to cure cancer.

:laughing::blowbubbles:

Cartel530

Veteran
I like the idea of extracting with limonene and then distilling.

Are you sure that steam distillation would degrade THC to a significant degree? From what I understand this occurs at prolonged exposure to >200 deg C.

I dont think the problem is with the temperature of the solvent used i think the difficulty lies in the water not being a strong enough solvent to strip the thc from the plant particles. You need something more aggressive:). i think thats what GW was talking about :tiphat:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How is that scary? Because you're not the one doing it? Fo you think people turning trim into BHO is scary? After all, they are taking THC out of the lowest potency part of the plant and creating a high THC product out of it.

If you want to be a granola naturalist about it and only smoke your home grown, outdoor (artificial light is "scary"), no nutrient(unnatural additives), cannabis...well, go ahead.

The rest of us don't care. What we do is lab grade and we are hot on the trail of industry folks. You know, the scientists who have been hammering out essential oil extraction techniques for decades.

From my perspective the purification game is over. We've separated everything effectively. Now it's time to figure out how it should all be put back together and what is responsible for the effects of marijuana. GW understands the medical importance of terpenes, which IMHO, is beneficial but limited. Marijuana is 3rd and 4th line treatment for many conditions. Glaucoma? Use a prostaglandin, muscarinic agonist, or an alpha2 blocker eye drop(depending on if it's open angle or closed angle.

Nausea? Ondansetron shits all over weed in terms of effectiveness.

Weed is useful for people who A) prefer it. Patients are allowed autonomy over their medical decisions. B) are not responsive to 1st and 2nd like treatments.

When I was still an MD(well, I still am) I published in a lot of cancer journals... specifically on the topic of the design of randomized clinical trials and improving forecasting of outcomes. I also worked on projects to optimize dose delivery of radiation therapy to targeted areas to intensify treatment and...well, that's enough about me. But yeah, THC ain't going to cure cancer.

Yea, but I'll take "Stoned-with-cancer" over just plain old "cancer" pretty near every day. Just sounds better rolling off the tongue to me....

;)

Drue Bleam

Anyone bought a bottle of the tang terp yet? lol

How healthy is that shit to smoke? Im surprised noone has tested that yet?

They have a tangerine flavor on that greenterpene site. I don't know about smoking it... maybe no more unhealthy than regular terpenes I'd assume? Would depend on extraction/distillation method? What they were extracted from maybe? I honestly have no fucking clue about even half of this shit, I'm just going off what I was told about people adding them back, then I found the food grade terpenes using skynet. :moon: