What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Not So Solventless Clear Concentrate From Harborside!

MedResearcher

Veteran
I doubt full on legalization is anywhere around the corner. The fed's may allow states to regulate, while at the same time periodically picking and choosing people to raid/seize, just like they have been doing with the medical industry for the last 18 years! As long as its not 100% legal federally, no big corporation is going to enter the business. Just to risky.

Hash oil is not new, its just in fashion at the moment. Some people love it, some don't. Depending on what you do during the day or want to do, smoking hash oil all day long might not even be an option.

Another random thought I had, if it was 100% legal, the price may be so rock bottom low, that making oil isn't even profitable. If you look at areas that have historically produced hash over time, hash oil isn't a typical product. You have enough hash producing plants you can just rub the hash off and produce a great product a lot cheaper/easier/faster.

Not trying to be negative, just my opinions. Hopefully we do see full on legalization one day. Would be great to see hemp being used to its full extent also.

Mr^^

You make some good points med, but until our industry has lobbying clout, we will get beat up with overpaying in taxes to buy the product rather than being taxed fairly. We will be a way to balance budgets. Look at the price of recreational oil/weed in colorado. Of course high cost at a shop will lead to a lucrative underground market just like you see with cigarettes.

I do think we will slowly see the feds loosening restrictions as we have seen with banking laws recently. I'm sure we will eventually see the "Coors Lite" versions of stuff with craft beers comprising those of us who make quality product which commands a premium price

Drue Bleam

I do think we will slowly see the feds loosening restrictions as we have seen with banking laws recently. I'm sure we will eventually see the "Coors Lite" versions of stuff with craft beers comprising those of us who make quality product which commands a premium price

Exactly.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
well have any banks actually changed policy since the recent policy change was announced re legal canna businesses using their banking services?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well have any banks actually changed policy since the recent policy change was announced re legal canna businesses using their banking services?

I discussed that with one of my bankers and they said that their bank was waiting for the smaller banks to break the ice as they were concerned about what the rest of their customers might think.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
to be honest from the way it was presented, i wouldn't trust this policy change if i was a big bank. maybe as a state bank inside Col i'd think about it, but even they will put themselves in a place where they are given a whole bunch of extra regulatory attention if they do it, not sure any bank will want the added bs.

RHH

So Theres alot of threads around the internet about these guys shady works and experiments on us patients and I figured we should get as much truth to the situation as possible!! Lets get the cat out the bag!
I think they really put there foot in there mouth when they entered 4 entries in the la cannabis cup that all looked and smelled very similiar! It was pretty obvius whose stuff that was in the judges pack! And then you look at the solventless judges pack and theres "Clear" in there as well! You can see on there instagram @theclearscientist that he claims theres 90% raw terps...:laughing:

Im not sure about you but I Smoke THC from the herb I grew myself not the manufactured terps this guy is using and selling to people..
Please educate yourselves before you hate on this post as well for im sure theres lots of opinions.. I wanna hear them all!!:dance013:

So much wrong

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
how are these terpes they are putting "back" made? or where are they extracted from?

are they synthetic terpes or extracted from cannabis?

RHH

man oh man what a depressing thought. but if we look at the legal cig industry and how they grow their tobacco. also how they add 150 different additives to the end product you have to realize the RB is probably right. when it gets 100% legal the flavors will probably be synthetically added after the fact. they will use every allowed pesticide and fertilizer and make up for the shit quality they achieve with chemical flavorings and synthetic thc etc.

Its not synthetic THC anymore than your butane process is synthetic THC. The "additives" aren't synthesized either. They are extracted.

As an aside, Clear isn't big business anymore than I'm big business....oh wait. =X

RHH

how are these terpes they are putting "back" made? or where are they extracted from?

are they synthetic terpes or extracted from cannabis?

No one would produce synthetic terps. Is expensive to synthesize stuff. Much easier to extract it from plants. You can Google it. Most likely it's not being extracted from cannabis plants but from other plants that are cheaper and more legal to grow. Terpenes are not unique to cannabis.

Scientists are taking over! Expect us.

<3
RHH.

RHH

I looked up myrcene... one of the terpenes they add back:

Terpenes arise naturally from dehydration of terpenol geraniol. It could in principle be extracted from any number of plants, for example wild thyme, the leaves of which contain up to 40% by weight of myrcene. The current route to commercial samples is by the pyrolysis (400 °C) of pinene, which is obtained from turpentine.[6]

foursquare

I used to think that was so far out too, but look in the new high times. They sell packs of marijuana ciggerettes in kush flavor andhaze. I bet alot of these are semi legit but im sure the goverment will do everything in there power to turn the marijuana industry into a controlled regulated thing like alcohol. Im pretty sure the atf runs sales in CO, not sure though.

But if there selling terpenes some dill weed will grow some mediocre crappy high thc strain without any taste or character then engineer some similar terpene profile to make it taste "kushey"

Scarrryy shit

theother

They use a steam distillation process to polish the starting product then add terps are added to mimic the ratio in a certain strain. I don't think it's a secret anymore how they are creating this stuff. Would be curious to see what @greywolf thinks of the steam distillation.

The process is probably used very often in other industries, but hadn't been used in ours till recently. as more scientists/chemistry guys get into this industry, we will see commonly used practices filter to all of us. I mean 2.5 years ago nobody was using a vac oven, but now everyone does

RHH

I used to think that was so far out too, but look in the new high times. They sell packs of marijuana ciggerettes in kush flavor andhaze. I bet alot of these are semi legit but im sure the goverment will do everything in there power to turn the marijuana industry into a controlled regulated thing like alcohol. Im pretty sure the atf runs sales in CO, not sure though.

But if there selling terpenes some dill weed will grow some mediocre crappy high thc strain without any taste or character then engineer some similar terpene profile to make it taste "kushey"

Scarrryy shit

How is that scary? Because you're not the one doing it? Fo you think people turning trim into BHO is scary? After all, they are taking THC out of the lowest potency part of the plant and creating a high THC product out of it.

If you want to be a granola naturalist about it and only smoke your home grown, outdoor (artificial light is "scary"), no nutrient(unnatural additives), cannabis...well, go ahead.

The rest of us don't care. What we do is lab grade and we are hot on the trail of industry folks. You know, the scientists who have been hammering out essential oil extraction techniques for decades.

From my perspective the purification game is over. We've separated everything effectively. Now it's time to figure out how it should all be put back together and what is responsible for the effects of marijuana. GW understands the medical importance of terpenes, which IMHO, is beneficial but limited. Marijuana is 3rd and 4th line treatment for many conditions. Glaucoma? Use a prostaglandin, muscarinic agonist, or an alpha2 blocker eye drop(depending on if it's open angle or closed angle.

Nausea? Ondansetron shits all over weed in terms of effectiveness.

Weed is useful for people who A) prefer it. Patients are allowed autonomy over their medical decisions. B) are not responsive to 1st and 2nd like treatments.

When I was still an MD(well, I still am) I published in a lot of cancer journals... specifically on the topic of the design of randomized clinical trials and improving forecasting of outcomes. I also worked on projects to optimize dose delivery of radiation therapy to targeted areas to intensify treatment and...well, that's enough about me. But yeah, THC ain't going to cure cancer.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
interesting. if you don't have to worry about the terps you can of course purge hotter then if you are trying to maintain the flavor.

the question now is if terps from other sources have the same medical effects as the ones found on cannabis?

anyway this might be feasible for an extract, but will it also be done with buds? seems much easier to just grow good strains well to begin with.

it's good to know that the medical success of cannabis has forced doctors to start thinking out of the box more.

Latest posts

Latest posts