What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do I get my wax to crumble?

knubs

wax in my opinion is still the smoothest on the Ti nail.
i've made crumble, the budder goo, shatter, honeycomb, absolute amber and everything else in between.
crumbly wax like i said was the smoothest (no cough). absolute amber is pretty nice as well; it is the first real purge i started doing after learning to make oil. i would say shatter is in third for smoothness. i make full on clear stable shatter that is totally clear and it is nice to dab a big flake, but it is a little bit more harsh(i say more harsh, but this stuff is still very smooth). now if i throw that shatter back in the vac and continue the process and raise the temp i get honeycomb after purging further.

Zdub7k

For those of you not using a vac that still want that crumble, you can use a food dehydrator as well. Just purge like you normally would until you are sure it is ready to smoke then scrape it to a brick onto parchment. Wrap it up and put it in the dehydrator. I start at 125 and give it an hour, some strains will be done some will have done nothing. If it is still sap I raise the temp to 135 and go for another hour. Some strains need to be whipped before all of this or they won't ever go crumbly.

Honestly though doing this process is just a way to quickly degrade the product until it is easy to handle. It would most likely do this if stored improperly for an extended period of time. You will lose flavor no matter what.

wrap it up as in; on all sides? like a tootsie roll? then leave it at temp and it waxes up? Have you performed this personally with good results? I really want to make it, but dont want to waste a bunch of money learning

montroller

I have done this before and it works unless the material you blasted was really old. When I say wrap it up I mean fold the parchment over on all sides, neatly. The food dehydrator was around $50 so not too cheap but still affordable.

TheBigDabowski

Crumbly wax is terrible and harsh after a hit off the nail. You do not want wax / budder and need to aim for clear sap / shatter as mentioned before. Honeycomb is just a gimmick do not fall into it. Basically all club wax is not worth the money until sap / shatter take over as it should. It is just harder to make good sap / shatter than to blast scrape and single vac into honeycomb without properly purging the oil. It is about getting the product out fast and making money for them and honeycomb is perfect for that.

hammalamma

Veteran
Crumbly wax is terrible and harsh after a hit off the nail. You do not want wax / budder and need to aim for clear sap / shatter as mentioned before. Honeycomb is just a gimmick do not fall into it. Basically all club wax is not worth the money until sap / shatter take over as it should. It is just harder to make good sap / shatter than to blast scrape and single vac into honeycomb without properly purging the oil. It is about getting the product out fast and making money for them and honeycomb is perfect for that.

Bing bing bing, we have a winner folks!:thank you:

montroller

In my experience it is much easier to get sap/shatter than it is to get budder/honeycomb. And it takes longer to get honeycomb than sap. The real reason it is so popular amongst retailers is because it is easy to process. The customers see that same appeal in an easy to use product that doesn't require scrapers or dabbers.

Zdub7k

Im with ya on that one....I can make shatter all day....just havent figured out the crumbly wax yet....and yes that is my main reason for wanting to do this, much easier to weigh and package...I dont have any fresh trim at the moment. I have something coming down in a week, so Ill try it as soon as its ready

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if u stir in a lil bit of super fine keif as its purging it changes consistency to a more crumbly mix like ur searching for, i doubt thats how u want to achieve it, but... that works

my guess is if u dont stir in between vacs, just let it bulge in the vac, take it out, heat it, vac, bulge, keep it vacced for a day or two.... thats how i got it, long vacs, no stirring in between
my2c

Bing bing bing, we have a winner folks!:thank you:
:laughing:
sorry g i know ur the big sapfan and cheerleading for dudes misinfo post, but thats simply not the case...

if you have PROPERLY made wax vs sap, EVERY SINGLE TIME I would say the wax tastes better AND is more smooth...its apparent to me that you either cant or dont make the "step" to waxing your product properly...

weve tested it time and time again with multiple testers (kinda like gw does) and EVERYBODY liked the taste of the dried wax better..period

if its not smoother and tasting better, your not doin it right...

i really kinda makes sense in theory to me...
when you make "wax" all your really doing is DRYING out your sap..
thats it people...theres no magical technique thats gonna make wax chunks fall out ur tube...lol
maybe some stuff "budders" up more but i suspect its strain specific based on terpenes,wax,lipid,sugar,starch etc content of that particular strain...and also how much you break it up...age is also a major factor in consistency..
when you have an oil, and you smoke it generally its a lil harsher because YOUR SMOKING OIL...when you dry it out, its less oily..lol
it melts easier with less fluid to pop...
yea yea you can say whatever about butane and honeycomb etc...
to the op, id submit that many people dont make crumbly wax or honeycomb, cuz theyre not totally sure how....
ALL YOU NEED TO DO REALLY IS DRY YOUR SHIT OUT N SCRAPE IT UP

what do you think all these other people on line are doing with heating pads and lamp shades....
PROVIDING HEAT IN VARYING TEMPS TO DRY YOUR OIL OUT
once its at the dryness you like, scrape it up...(fuck scraping, teflon bags for the win)

im serious here...if you have NOT tried the bag method and you make wax regularly, (esp you other volume gangsters out there)
USE THE BAG TECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS SOOOOOOOO MUCH FUCKING EASIER, I PROMISE YOU WILL BE SUPER STOKED...THEYRE LIKE `10 BUCKS...I USE THE GALLON PAIL LINERS...
SIMPLY BLAST INTO BAG, PUT BAG IN HOT WATER INITIAL PURGE THEN THROW IN FREEZER TIL FROZE, REMOVE CRUSH IN BAG AND POUR INTO YOUR DISH FOR VACING IF U WANNA, OR WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANNA DO W IT....

i did this a few times then switched to blasting into parchment (also infinitely easier than scraping) now im going back to bags...its a no brainer...once you try it youll be like WTF?????
when i do the initial liquid tane purge, if its on a heating element in a glass bow lined w paper it takes 15-25 min for initial liquid gas to be gone, with the bag tech it literally takes like 5 min...i think its cuz the hot water is able to envelop the baggie and its thinner so the heat transfers wayyyy faster than through glass....

fluorocarbon welch outta nh...handle it, youll relish the day you made the switch....:tiphat:

TEFLON NYA!-FTW

Attachments

• finvacdbowlog.JPG
    finvacdbowlog.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 23
sorry wrong pic...lol thats the "old" i need razor blades method....fVck thVt...
dub7 if u got any questions ask anytime bra...
labhoroflove.proboards.com if u want a more in depth version of swims technique...
sorry for double post couldnt find an edit option....

lol @ Honeycomb is just a gimmick do not fall into it.
yea dude...honeycomb is wayyyyy easier to make than sap..
lets see blast and let heat and u get sap

mmmm seems just a smidge more tricky to get a waxxy honeycomb product...

wheres the goddamn edit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL lates!

hammalamma

Veteran
:laughing:
sorry g i know ur the big sapfan and cheerleading for dudes misinfo post, but thats simply not the case...

if you have PROPERLY made wax vs sap, EVERY SINGLE TIME I would say the wax tastes better AND is more smooth...its apparent to me that you either cant or dont make the "step" to waxing your product properly...

weve tested it time and time again with multiple testers (kinda like gw does) and EVERYBODY liked the taste of the dried wax better..period

if its not smoother and tasting better, your not doin it right...

i really kinda makes sense in theory to me...
when you make "wax" all your really doing is DRYING out your sap..
thats it people...theres no magical technique thats gonna make wax chunks fall out ur tube...lol
maybe some stuff "budders" up more but i suspect its strain specific based on terpenes,wax,lipid,sugar,starch etc content of that particular strain...and also how much you break it up...age is also a major factor in consistency..
when you have an oil, and you smoke it generally its a lil harsher because YOUR SMOKING OIL...when you dry it out, its less oily..lol
it melts easier with less fluid to pop...
yea yea you can say whatever about butane and honeycomb etc...
to the op, id submit that many people dont make crumbly wax or honeycomb, cuz theyre not totally sure how....
ALL YOU NEED TO DO REALLY IS DRY YOUR SHIT OUT N SCRAPE IT UP

what do you think all these other people on line are doing with heating pads and lamp shades....
PROVIDING HEAT IN VARYING TEMPS TO DRY YOUR OIL OUT
once its at the dryness you like, scrape it up...(fuck scraping, teflon bags for the win)

im serious here...if you have NOT tried the bag method and you make wax regularly, (esp you other volume gangsters out there)
USE THE BAG TECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS SOOOOOOOO MUCH FUCKING EASIER, I PROMISE YOU WILL BE SUPER STOKED...THEYRE LIKE `10 BUCKS...I USE THE GALLON PAIL LINERS...
SIMPLY BLAST INTO BAG, PUT BAG IN HOT WATER INITIAL PURGE THEN THROW IN FREEZER TIL FROZE, REMOVE CRUSH IN BAG AND POUR INTO YOUR DISH FOR VACING IF U WANNA, OR WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANNA DO W IT....

i did this a few times then switched to blasting into parchment (also infinitely easier than scraping) now im going back to bags...its a no brainer...once you try it youll be like WTF?????
when i do the initial liquid tane purge, if its on a heating element in a glass bow lined w paper it takes 15-25 min for initial liquid gas to be gone, with the bag tech it literally takes like 5 min...i think its cuz the hot water is able to envelop the baggie and its thinner so the heat transfers wayyyy faster than through glass....

fluorocarbon welch outta nh...handle it, youll relish the day you made the switch....:tiphat:

TEFLON NYA!-FTW
That's some nice sap ya got there! Learn some proper grammar and spelling and maybe I could understand you.
If you get wax you left some bullshit in your oil or didn't purge properly. End of story.
Welcome to my ignore list, I will not be trolled into an argument by some ignorant kid.

Norkali

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to hammalamma again."
What do you think of those Teflon bags though Hamma?

This thread has been a huge help....the whole dab scene blew the fuck up, passing me right by in the process. I've had the pleasure to smoke various forms of concentrates...but haven't sprung for an absolute amber/glass yet, due to misinformation I had convinced myself of.

I had the pleasure of dabbing some 'cookie dough' wax....fucking amazing. So, apparently there are people making an inferior product out of top-of-the-market bud. That's interesting. All I know though, is that I want to make 'cookie dough' wax now once my cookies finish....but this thread has taught me that a 'cookie glass' would be the ultimate end-product.....correct? Also to consider though, could this be on purpose due to market demand? What this thread has also shown is that it seems that most consumers, (including myself until today,) would rather purchase this:
ScreenShot2011-12-23at85811AM.png

Versus some amber/shatter/glass. If you have more demand/price for one form over another, which are you going to make...? Wax for misinformed masses and shatter for yourself?

Damn.

There are too many damn 'teks' that are posted across youtube and the forums...and they've been evolving SO DAMN FAST - metal tubes<glass tubes, whip<no whip, vac chambers, two-stage purges, etc. etc. - with SHITLOADS of bad or outright false advice/information being thrown about. Not easy to truly see what the 'right' method is without just jumping in and experimenting it seems.

That sucks though, because I'm the type of person who likes to have everything planned out in detail before I start; eliminating variables. How many variables are there in getting some sexy BHO though? :chin: :biglaugh: Too damn many it seems.

That's some nice sap ya got there! Learn some proper grammar and spelling and maybe I could understand you.
If you get wax you left some bullshit in your oil or didn't purge properly. End of story.
Welcome to my ignore list, I will not be trolled into an argument by some ignorant kid.

welcome to my balls
you can still make wax out of properly purged oil smart guy...
its ok tho...keep spreading ur misinfo bud, keep ridin that "oil or bust" train....you go girl..
:thank you:

so how the cup go g? wheres the gold?

lol @ kid...i wish

who gives a dick cheney what he thinks, hes obviously misguided..anyone saying all wax or honeycomb has residual butane in it is spreading misinfo and doesnt know what the fuck theyre talking about (in that regard) PERIOD
they ARE the shit...look around theres threads here i think or def on joke city...if u can sift

fuck dont believe me...i dont give a damn bro...go ask someone smart..ask gwolf...see what he says.(im oretty sure he said the same thing), can mean tane, but not always guaranteed...he like works with scientists n shit..legally i might add...i dont even know why your still repeating that..isnt that an old topic?? didnt you already see like before n after pix? like clear sap before and then wax after treatment?? i mean shit what else do u want? pics of beautiful clear stable sap, then the wax it was turned into..you saying i added fuckin butane? no its called waxes n other shit in the matrix.read some more....your concentrate making development is seemingly stalled hamhox...
i innovate..look it up, what it actually means...innovation..how it comes about why how etc.....

my OIL is bigger than your oil....neener neener neener:woohoo:

yea yea whatever sorry peeps...
spread thin then dry it out w heat somehow and scrape it up...
u got wax

Attachments

• SDWAX.JPG
    SDWAX.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 21
  • GETRITE.JPG
    GETRITE.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 23

hashcat88

waxmasta, you say oil is harsher than wax because it is an "oil"

take your wax, apply heat with heatgun or lightly with a flame until it melts back to oil. is it magically harsher now because its an "oil" vs "wax"???

wax is not dried out oil. it is oil with air whipped into it. oil left to "dry out" is simply underpurged oil with gas escaping from it, which causes it to form the budder/wax state.

wax is also less dense because of all the air. a giant dab of wax may be equal in weight to a small dab of shatter, because the shatter is so dense.

every wax i have EVER tasted is missing something. yeah, maybe its smoother sometimes but there is no damn flavor!! while with sap/wax you can not get the flavor out of your mouth and the terpenes have your lungs constricting

its simple bro.....ur not getting good enough wax..your prob getting wax made from trim.period. i dont know how else to put it bro, your just wrong on the flavor part...im not gonna argue the science of it cuz im not a scientist, but i can say 100% unequivocally, that 99% of the people that smoke our wax<<<<prefer the flavor and smokeability of it...

here let me dash ur theory...take your lovely sap and let it sit on a heating pad for a few days....gee it turns into wax as it dries...

u said urself every wax u tasted is missing something...thats cuz u havent tasted legit og wax...they taste BETTER than the flowers dude...better...not shit missing there...

as for avinash...sorry when someone comes on and says a buncha misinfo that could lead to someone making a shit decision on the meds, im gonna go ahead and chime in...its not bickering, its called teaching...trying to help those poor souls that are gonna come on here and think EVERYYYYYYYYYYYTHING WAX is shit...well its not..
ive posted this ten times and im sure illl post it ten more times...
look at the cannabis cup...
og waxes n budders..all of em...99% of em anyways,...wax..thats right..crumble...you need to smoke proper BUD wax, and then youll prob change ur tune...or not, whatever...enjoy your tasty sap,....and yea dude thats EXACTLY one of the things that causes oil to turn opaque and :"waxxy or budderish" HEAT...
heat dries...therefore its "drying" your oil, get it? i dont whip shit...yea ?? ohhhhh?? whipless wax say he???
flush
there goes your all wax is just whipped air into the oil...
you make a decent point regarding melting the crumble back down, but its not really sound theory i dont think, when you wax something up its a change...the matrix molecule whatever (as i said i aint a scientist) its already been changed...so the fact that you melt wax into oil? i dunno sounds like melted wax to me...
i really not as concerned with why it does what, more with the end product, taste, and what the people its made for think of it...
and in that dept were good so, well just keep doin our thang..enjoy ur sap..
the clear chip, that was then heated back up and worked into budder/wax....so explain that bruh? i got a nice clear purged chip of sap there totally stable, then it turned into wax...magically..
so anyone reading this, yes you can have a clear purged sap and turn it into a waxxy product....
it IS much more difficult to get it to the state you want once all the impurities and gas are purged, but certainly doable with a good tech...
some people will literally leave a tiny bit if gas in the oil, and then wax it, and while its being waxed and then cured that last little bit purges..
thats another way to do it....weve got more experiments currently on diff techs for making wax from sap...WE realize that most consumers want something more handleable....sure your blasting an 8th through a kitchen utensil, go big on your sap..its for u..but pretty much most people on the market will prefer something a lil drier and easier to handle...

:tiphat:

Attachments

• PRE98CHIP.JPG
    PRE98CHIP.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 24
  • gold puff.JPG
    gold puff.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 25
anyways still cant find an edit button. no disr to u hashcat...u posted a pro response not dickery, sorry any of my smarmyness is directed at hamhead not you...lol

hammalamma

Veteran
What do you think of those Teflon bags though Hamma?

This thread has been a huge help....the whole dab scene blew the fuck up, passing me right by in the process. I've had the pleasure to smoke various forms of concentrates...but haven't sprung for an absolute amber/glass yet, due to misinformation I had convinced myself of.

I had the pleasure of dabbing some 'cookie dough' wax....fucking amazing. So, apparently there are people making an inferior product out of top-of-the-market bud. That's interesting. All I know though, is that I want to make 'cookie dough' wax now once my cookies finish....but this thread has taught me that a 'cookie glass' would be the ultimate end-product.....correct? Also to consider though, could this be on purpose due to market demand? What this thread has also shown is that it seems that most consumers, (including myself until today,) would rather purchase this:
View Image

Versus some amber/shatter/glass. If you have more demand/price for one form over another, which are you going to make...? Wax for misinformed masses and shatter for yourself?

Damn.

There are too many damn 'teks' that are posted across youtube and the forums...and they've been evolving SO DAMN FAST - metal tubes<glass tubes, whip<no whip, vac chambers, two-stage purges, etc. etc. - with SHITLOADS of bad or outright false advice/information being thrown about. Not easy to truly see what the 'right' method is without just jumping in and experimenting it seems.

That sucks though, because I'm the type of person who likes to have everything planned out in detail before I start; eliminating variables. How many variables are there in getting some sexy BHO though? :chin: :biglaugh: Too damn many it seems.
You hit the nail on head with that one.
No I haven't tried the teflon, seems cool though.