What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do I get my wax to crumble?

Zdub7k

I keep seeing this crumble wax online. It seems that is how everybody makes it out west..would anybody be kind enough to share their technique??? I just took my first attempt off the coffee mug warmer, and it is oily. It looks like it will be shatter glass when it cools.It is sticky, but it doesnt stick to my fingers, should I just continue to heat it? Ive had it on the warmer now for about 6 hours..it is at very low temps tho...right around 100 F...the stuff Im seeing online looks more like broken up candle wax.. I would really like to make this bc of the ease of handling and weighing the product...please help!!!

Zdub7k

they also call it honey comb wax...Ive seen methods online using vacuums and using hot plates.....do I need to continue to heat and "dehydrate " the BHO? or is a secondary solvent required to reach the necessary purity levels to cake up like that?

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Honeycomb can be achieved with heat and deep vacuum. Keep a constant heat of around 110-135F at -29"hg and purge in a thick film, and after a while you'll start to notice your transperant oil becomes cloudy, then with a little more time fully waxes up. To be honest though, don't purge in a thick layer just to achieve the wax consistency, purge in a very thin film no matter what consistency your trying to achieve and try to keep a constant temp high enough to keep the oil viscous enough to release solvent. These are key to a proper purge and most likely will give you a thanslucent shatter/sap. The autobuddering phenomenon under deep vacuum and constant heat is directly related to thick film purging.

Zdub7k

realy? no water is added? I read that you can make budder with a coffee mug warmer too.....some of the things I read say to blow directly into 170 F water, let it cool, collect the resin, and whip it...done

Zdub7k

is this guy full of it or what?

"i blew directly into 170 degree water, let it cool down, collected and gave it a lazy whip or two while getting stoned"

here is his product

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
You CAN blast into water and whip, would I, no never. I use deep vacuum and constant heat to purge my oil, or a second solvent such as ethanol.

Blasting into water and whipping is a good technique if you want waxy opaqe oil containing butane and alot of moisture.

touringfunkband

hey dub, check out Bret1Maverick or Kangol9177 on youtube. They both use just about the same technique to obtain honeycomb, but Kangol purges outside in the sun where the mason jar heats up to the desirable temp and is left holding full vacuum for six to eight hours.

From what I have heard from others, blasting into water and whipping kills the flavor. It is totally possible to achieve purged honeycomb without whipping or any agitation.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Food saver isn't strong enough. I would love to see what people are using however. Krunchbubble I think has gone to just sun purges. With fresh material it should butter up.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Don't try an create a degassing chamber using a mason jar, it's not safe. Make or get a real degassing chamber that can handle heat and and deep vacuum. They're many SS and aluminum degassing chambers on ebay. These are the choice chambers for removing residual butane at an affordable price compared to a vacuum oven.

knubs

i actually just started a thread on this a few weeks ago. http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=243354
i actually clicked your thread trying to find mine(i've been smoking too much crumble ;) )!! lol

but the only way to get crumbly wax is with a vacuum chamber. period. yeah sure i've whipped some up in the past and it is crumbly. whipping is iffy though. i got my vacuum setup a few days ago and have already pulled pretty good honeycomb wax and shatter.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Knubs - please post what unit you bought and possible how you heard that said unit would work. I have been meaning to buy one, but don't want to drop loot on something that doesn't work how I want it. Thanks.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I got my 3 gallon aluminum degassing chamber with thick acrylic top, ball valve to release vacuum and gauge for 150 bucks on ebay. These chambers are made for the silicone mold and resin casting business, but they're the best chambers to use short of a vacuum oven.
Now for your vacuum pump get your self a nice two stage american made vacuum pump rated down to 25 microns. Yellow jacket and JB industries have great pumps to invest in.

hammalamma

Veteran
All you guys are funny.
First off if you get honey comb from vac purging you are not doing it right, the videos on youtube that show people half ass vacuuming and then letting cool down before fully purged so it will hold that honeycomb structure. A group of cats I know whip their shit the second they are done spraying and leave it in a way too small container [thick film purging] in a hot car for three or four days.
I am so sick of people wanting to ruin their oil. Keep that shit sexy. Honeycomb and wax are NOT the desired results of anyone who knows what they are doing. Wax or honeycomb means you left undesirables in your oil. If you don't believe me maybe you will believe one of the smartest men on this website, I am sure Jump177 would love to hop in here and clarify some things.

hammalamma

Veteran
Don't try an create a degassing chamber using a mason jar, it's not safe. Make or get a real degassing chamber that can handle heat and and deep vacuum. They're many SS and aluminum degassing chambers on ebay. These are the choice chambers for removing residual butane at an affordable price compared to a vacuum oven.

Come on man we have been over this before.Mason jars are built to withstand a vacuum. Why does food saver make, not one but two, mason jar adapters? Mason jars work really good actually.

I know you are trying to help but spreading misinformation does not help anyone.

knubs

All you guys are funny.
First off if you get honey comb from vac purging you are not doing it right, the videos on youtube that show people half ass vacuuming and then letting cool down before fully purged so it will hold that honeycomb structure. A group of cats I know whip their shit the second they are done spraying and leave it in a way too small container [thick film purging] in a hot car for three or four days.
I am so sick of people wanting to ruin their oil. Keep that shit sexy. Honeycomb and wax are NOT the desired results of anyone who knows what they are doing. Wax or honeycomb means you left undesirables in your oil. If you don't believe me maybe you will believe one of the smartest men on this website, I am sure Jump177 would love to hop in here and clarify some things.

uh huh... so what is the final product of this all mighty back seat of a car hash if you consider wax to be so bad. more oil? anything gooey, runny, or sticky is from the butane/water in it. BHO waxes up after all the butane and water is almost completely gone, it is the oil taking a solid state do to the lack of all those liquid/gaseous impurities. and how does degassing hash in a vacuum 'ruin' it? and how is obtaining wax from a vac purge so wrong? you say wax isnt the final pure product so what is? i mean, i take a giant chunk of honeycomb and flood my Ti nail and still dont cough. seems pretty purged to me.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I know you CAN use them I have used them before, but should you no they're made for a foodsaver, food savers don't pull down to -29"hg like electric vacuum pumps. Why not just be professional and get a real degassing chamber? It's just another possibility for something to go wrong safety wise. There is many advantages of having a decent size metal degassing chamber to a mason jar setup, so I always advise against mason jars. Even on silicone mold and resin casting websites that show you how to make your own degassing chambers, the first thing they usually say is do NOT use glass for your DIY chamber when operating with an electric vacuum pump. Such as a mason jar.

hammalamma

Veteran
uh huh... so what is the final product of this all mighty back seat of a car hash if you consider wax to be so bad. more oil? anything gooey, runny, or sticky is from the butane/water in it. BHO waxes up after all the butane and water is almost completely gone, it is the oil taking a solid state do to the lack of all those liquid/gaseous impurities. and how does degassing hash in a vacuum 'ruin' it? and how is obtaining wax from a vac purge so wrong? you say wax isnt the final pure product so what is? i mean, i take a giant chunk of honeycomb and flood my Ti nail and still dont cough. seems pretty purged to me.

You missed the whole point of what I was trying to say, the CRAP that dude makes in a car is your precious honeycomb.

I didn't say degassing hash ruins it, learn some reading comprehension buddy. You will NOT get "honeycomb" from properly vac purging, you get it from a half ass vac purge with not enough heat. Keep it under vac while you let it cool down and it will hold the bloated shape.

hammalamma

Veteran
I know you CAN use them I have used them before, but should you no they're made for a foodsaver, food savers don't pull down to -29"hg like electric vacuum pumps. Why not just be professional and get a real degassing chamber? It's just another possibility for something to go wrong safety wise. There is many advantages of having a decent size metal degassing chamber to a mason jar setup, so I always advise against mason jars. Even on silicone mold and resin casting websites that show you how to make your own degassing chambers, the first thing they usually say is do NOT use glass for your DIY chamber when operating with an electric vacuum pump. Such as a mason jar.

You don't a million dollars in equipment to be a good extraction artist. And by the way I have a stainless degassing chamber, a glass dessicator and access to a vac oven and I still use mason jars. Quit being a pussy.:thank you:

Latest posts

Latest posts