What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

General Organics vs General Hydroponics

After looking more at your setup I gotta say I'm really impressed! I use GO in roots organic with 2tbs of dolomite lime per gallon with fantastic results.
You have the healthiest GO in hydro plants I've seen yet. Are you using a chiller.

So far there isn't anything wrong with either plant. I have a third that's kinda the ugly stepchild since it accidentally got a bit too much Sul-Po-Mag (FYI it releases faster than you'd expect, use with caution) pretty early on, and is a pretty distant third to the other two.

No chiller, but the weather has been nice. Growth was under a 1k MH, right now they are getting (kinda questionable) natural lighting. Hopefully enough to at least flower enough to test the buds against each other.

General Hydroponics on the left. General Organics on the right. 8 weeks into flower.

Attachments

• GH4wkv8wkfl.jpg
    GH4wkv8wkfl.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 40
  • GO4wkv8wkfl.jpg
    GO4wkv8wkfl.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 42

Neo 420

Veteran
I've had bone meal, alfalfa meal, and other organics break down and become available using this same water in a hydro system. I do want to try a with-without beneficial organism additives at some point, but for this one I want to just use what comes in the box.

I definitely see the ability for alfalfa to be used in hydro but bone meal? It takes quite a while for bone meal to breakdown with a good micro herd and is not water soluble. Interesting work though...

I would definitely put air stones in those waterfarms. And larger holes on the top bucket. Makes a huge difference.

Good side by side going on. Very interested in the results. Keep up the good work!!

I definitely see the ability for alfalfa to be used in hydro but bone meal? It takes quite a while for bone meal to breakdown with a good micro herd and is not water soluble. Interesting work though...

I would definitely put air stones in those waterfarms. And larger holes on the top bucket. Makes a huge difference. https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=22727&pictureid=482576View Image

Good side by side going on. Very interested in the results. Keep up the good work!!

The one with bone meal has just been dosed twice, and seems to be fine (other than a touch stunted from my overdosing with Sul Pol Mag by accident in early veg).

I've heard that about waterfarms before, but wanted to try them stock first. Might have to give that a try on at least one to see if it helps though.

supermanlives

Veteran
waterfarms work well . i did the same things that were suggested to you . i also added another bucket and a pump to circulate the nutes for a few minutes every hour as i was getting diff readings in some buckets. the flora pic appears to be a closer pic than the other. the larger gh fert jugs make great pots later on . white and squareish.

waterfarms work well . i did the same things that were suggested to you . i also added another bucket and a pump to circulate the nutes for a few minutes every hour as i was getting diff readings in some buckets. the flora pic appears to be a closer pic than the other. the larger gh fert jugs make great pots later on . white and squareish.

It may be a little closer. I'm going to go by the final weights and flavor. It looks like the flora is going to wind up pretty far ahead on quantity

MIway

Veteran
Nice man... Can't wait to get the assessment on quality. Curious to see what ya notice on the flavors. Be kinda cool if u could get a buddy to blind load for u... Try to eliminate any subconscious influences, if possible.

Looks yummy! ;-)

Nice man... Can't wait to get the assessment on quality. Curious to see what ya notice on the flavors. Be kinda cool if u could get a buddy to blind load for u... Try to eliminate any subconscious influences, if possible.

Looks yummy! ;-)

I have a plot to self blind if I can't find a buddy. Going to break some of each down and put in identical jars with names in envelopes. Then randomize and assign codes to the jars, won't know until I open the envelopes which is which. Want to get some buddies in on the testing and smoking part too, so I figure someone ought to be game to help out.

Getting ready for the taste tests.

Step one: Attached the identity of each on the underside of the jar lids. The lids will have to be disassembled to reveal which is GO, which is GH, and which was grown with traditional organics.

Step two: Jars were mixed, spun, twirled, and otherwise confused.

Step three: Jars were randomly labeled "Thing 1", "Thing 2", and "Thing 3".

Step four: Each jar in turn was cleaned and joints were rolled, with a single band for Thing 1, two bands for Thing 2, and three bands for Thing 3.

Step five: One of each of the three things was placed into small bags, to be used for testing.

In a nutshell, I don't know which is which. All I know is that all the Thing 1's are the same, all the Thing 2's are the same, and all the Thing 3's are the same. Once I have collected feedback about each Thing, I can open the jar lids and match the feedback to the nutrient.

Attachments

• gh 003.JPG
    gh 003.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 39
  • gh 028.JPG
    gh 028.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 43

MIway

Veteran
Dunno man... I'd recognize the buds structure from the grow... Even if someone else Jared em... I'd be able to pick em out. Especially with the weight differences you noticed... Has to actually look different too.

Solution... Send em out to us, set up a poll, let the feedback come in... ;-)

Did the go line just stain the roots or did it actually go to rot? Looks gnarly man

amannamedtruth

Veteran
The test probably woulda gone better if you'd use a soil less medium....GO just isn't meant to be used like that...

For folks looking to yield with G.O., you will need to use a bloom booster. I'd suggest 15 ml/gal Roots Organics HPK along with 10 ml/gal Earth Juice Meta K. Also use some lime in the medium, the GO Calmag sucks...use double if you do decide to use it, or just go with the GH MagiCal

I've had my best results in EWC and azomite amended Sunshine #4, applying FF fruit & flower first week and fourth week of flowering (this has your extra cal/mag,), along with the GO line (Heavy Feeding Values, no cal mag), HPK, and Meta K. Feed/Feed/Water.

Using EWC Tea will help with much, too. Good nitrogen, phosphate, calcium, magnesium and potash. Cut your nute values if using smaller than 1K's for lights.

The GH Florablend is the same as the GO BioRoot, but cheaper.

Dunno man... I'd recognize the buds structure from the grow... Even if someone else Jared em... I'd be able to pick em out. Especially with the weight differences you noticed... Has to actually look different too.

Solution... Send em out to us, set up a poll, let the feedback come in... ;-)

Did the go line just stain the roots or did it actually go to rot? Looks gnarly man

LOL, got them ground up just fine thanks. And the roots seemed fine, the brown appears to be some sort of stain/residue.

Yesca73

GO for soil
GH flora hydro
I use Gh flora in my hydro system with good results and have used GO in my outside garden with good results.
doesnt make sense to use GO in hydro.

First report in: "Drummer Dude"

Thing 1 (Favorite) Strong grape notes. Best flavor.
Thing 2 (2nd) Very smooth, like an ultralight cigarette. Hard to tell for sure that you got a hit until you exhale.
Thing 3 (3rd) "Indoor, you can tell. Tastes expensive".