What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning in Coco Experiment

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it might not be directly related to ur thread, but it might give u some more variables in ur experiment. :D

nowadays i allways clone directly in coco. i dont use hormones, nor do i mist the cuts withg water or anything like that. the only thing i do is i put a transparent plastic cup over the cut to keep it from getting direct airflow on it from the fans. sometimes i make holes in the cup, but often i dont.

when i clone in coco i find the best part is the fact its not necesary to do anything. i even often use recycled coco from flowered plants. i dont use hormones or any rooting aid.

cloning needs to get de-mystified. the truth is weed clones it self, as far as its not stressed. in low-light conditions and with controlled humidity the rooting process is the fastest. it takes about 2-3 weeks for them to start vegging. i use 1 liter pots, since they give a lot of space for the first roots to grow, without hitting a too wet spot in the bottom.

success rates are higher with this method than what i ever had before. i also ONLY use top shoots with vigorous growth for clones, this is part of why they root so fast.

peace all.

Dispelling the bullshit I LOVE IT and this is why I signed up for this job :)

bonecarver hitting it on the head yet again no wonder he's a mod.

OK I got one and please understand being and old fogger I've come to that time in my life to where so many mixes have been made that anymore a splash of this and a splash of that pretty much get's me where I wanna go. But cloning is the key to it all imho. It is the ONLY way that you may keep the circle continuing on of your favorite cut's. I have one in particular that has been through a fire and a flood the flood was so bad that only ONE branch stuck out of 4 feet of water and to be honest it was one of the first things I saved when I was able to get back in. The Original Chem cut that came from a very special person from a very special place the one that I know would get me anything I ever wanted if I told the whole tale.

Ok "they won't clone if light get's to them" BULLSHIT

What you see there is a display Ez-Cloner unit I got years back from a buddy who went on to do some pretty amazing things and I hope now didn't get gobbled up by the Cali sun :)

Now trust me on this one,if your serious about cloning them damn Ez-Cloners are tits up in my book and I personally have got roots from a damn leaf b4 with the thing with straight water and air.

We forget sometimes folks we are playing with weeds plain and simple and given water air and light will find a way to survive. The op is showing to me one of the finest displays of CoCo cloning I've seen in a long time and should be commended for his precise efforts.

I'm not gonna hijack anymore but felt it was important to say this is an important part of the game to learn and what we are seeing is a fine display of how to do it correctly.

Be Well
Mr.Wags

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
it might not be directly related to ur thread, but it might give u some more variables in ur experiment. :D

nowadays i allways clone directly in coco. i dont use hormones, nor do i mist the cuts withg water or anything like that. the only thing i do is i put a transparent plastic cup over the cut to keep it from getting direct airflow on it from the fans. sometimes i make holes in the cup, but often i dont.

when i clone in coco i find the best part is the fact its not necesary to do anything. i even often use recycled coco from flowered plants. i dont use hormones or any rooting aid.

cloning needs to get de-mystified. the truth is weed clones it self, as far as its not stressed. in low-light conditions and with controlled humidity the rooting process is the fastest. it takes about 2-3 weeks for them to start vegging. i use 1 liter pots, since they give a lot of space for the first roots to grow, without hitting a too wet spot in the bottom.

success rates are higher with this method than what i ever had before. i also ONLY use top shoots with vigorous growth for clones, this is part of why they root so fast.

peace all.
couldn't agree more..cloning at its simpliest form...i use the same process...

SuperConductor

Veteran
I root tiny little cuts straight into untreated/recycled coco no cloning gel no precharging no dome no misting just fresh water every day with great success. KISS!

I'm with Notaprofessor on this one, a control is essential and would show you you don't need all the other stuff at the same time as completing the experiment.

dizzlekush

damn it all. i had to go to Santa Cruz for a few days. clones were wet when i left, i came back and ALL the clones were bone dry and cooked by the heat mat. its getting below freezing every night so a heat mat is really necessary, but the mat runs waaayy too hot. i put 2 towels in between the mat and the trays to lower the heat but it seems like it wasn't enough.

all the clones from the first experiment are dead. the 2nt experiment might be saved, but i cant say yet. sorry all, i was really excited for the results of this experiment and its not gonna happen.

ive already promised myself that im going to repeat the experiment but it'll be a few weeks. now im gonna have an empty bloom room for over a month. again sorry all, amateur mistake. really disappointed in myself.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
I'm interested...

When you do the next go... could you have a few that you just run with tap water and nothing else?

I currently just cut of small branches 3"-6" and either put them in tap water in rapid rooters on a heating mat with a dome.... or in my little 5 gallon bucket DIY aerocloner...

Either way, using dirty scissors, tap water and no cloning gel I usually have roots in less than 10 days...

I've been experimenting with tea's however and have started getting slightly better results... I'm wondering how much any of the cloning gels and soaks really help.

Here's my main question, what's in your Microbe tea and how are you making it?

THanks!!!

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DK I clone in canna coco(no rinsing) but I add big and small perlite,clear cups mats and domes, also clonex.
coco mix is fully soaked with full strength bloom nutes, media is pressed hard around the stems. full success and roots in a weeek to a week and a half.
best part is no additional watering is needed.
the perlite improves the whole process alot
bigger clones with lotsa leaves grow faster too

I use a soil from Botanicare called Ready-Gro and it works great and cost about 25 a bag and is close to what you describe:

I have found the use of Hygrozyme and water with a dome and a controlled mat at 85 works for beans as well as cuts.

I have and will continue to delete any and all disrespectful post in this forum. Open discussions are welcome but be nice please.

Sorry For Your Loss :(
Mr.Wags

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
I just clone in dirt...no clonex, nothing...just stable temperature.

40 DIRT CLONES

picture.php

NICE HEALTHY ROOTS

picture.php

Green lung

Veteran
The variable that makes the difference is the moisture level of the coco...........You want the coco to be nice and moist not water logged or dry and light.

No need for heater mats or domes ect.

You can do 20 clones under 1 26w CFL, Scrape the stem, throw cheap rooting powder on and stick into your moist coco/perlite mix....you are good to go.

red party cups work great.

cyat

Veteran
DK try cvs heat mats on low, the hydro ones suck imo.
Wags looks like good stuff, I love the clear cups, much easier for me than trays and reusable.

Slimm

I pour a little H202 in the feed water to make sure any nasty pathogens won't infect the clones. Also found that the green party cups work much better than the red.:)

dizzlekush

Well some sort of results are in from the first botched cloning experiment. I decided to check to see if any of the dead cuttings started rooting and this is what i found:

1 cutting with roots just forming treated with Clonex/K-L-N
1 rooted clone treated with Clonex/homemade microbe brew
1 rooted clone treated with Dip-N-Gro/homemade microbe brew
3 rooted clones treated with Dip-N-Gro/Olivia's cloning solution

So The Dip-N-Gro/Olivia's cloning solution produced the same amout of rooted clones as all 7 other test groups combined and had the fastest rooting with the most success with 33% of cuttings forming roots when half of the test groups failed to produce any roots whatsoever. All groups that had their substrate treated with pH'ed tap water failed to produce any roots, while all other groups were treated with pH'ed, supplemented distilled water.

Also straining the coco to reduce finer particulate is not necessary since i've found that strained coco doesn't have enough water capacity and has to be re-moistened ever 2-3 days, whereas when i was cloning in rockwool, it was more of a wet and forget type of situation.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Re Heat Mats...

Cuttings easily cook when you get too hot and they easily slow if too cold.

For perfect control and growth you have to use a thermostat to control the temperature precisely, constantly.

Easy and cheap to do, just interrupt the heater mat power supply, wire in the thermostat. Stick the remote probe in your rooting medium just like another cutting.

Do not trust the thermostat control.

Stick a Digital Thermometer remote probe in your rooting medium just like another cutting.

Adjust your Thermostat's control to whatever the Thermometer says is 23C.

Better still if you can have a tray of water above the heater to spread the heat and humidify the zone continuously allowing more open vents/no hood. Obviously keep the cuttings in coco suspended above the water, upside-down plug trays work well.

Remote probe Thermostats are cheap and easily available in Pet/Reptile/Tropical Fish Shops, remote probe digital Thermometers are everywhere.

Granger2

Veteran
Diz,
I'm not trying to get you to do anything, except to continue your work and post the results. I will make some observations. If you decide to acquiesce, and do a control, I don't think you could do any better than Canna straight out of the bag with pH'd water, and no nothin'. I would consider that to be about as basic as you can get. And I'll bet it would work well for some and not for others.

You're doing me a favor with your experiments. Thanks for posting the results, because I have limited space, and can't do a lot of comparing. I have had great luck and success since I went to rooting in coco. My EZ Cloner was great, but I don't like spending a whole afternoon cleaning/sterilizing it. Coco saves me so much valuable time and effort. My back hates the EZ Cloner. Sorry about the mishap, but keep up the good work. Good luck. -granger

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Diz,
I'm not trying to get you to do anything, except to continue your work and post the results. I will make some observations. If you decide to acquiesce, and do a control, I don't think you could do any better than Canna straight out of the bag with pH'd water, and no nothin'. I would consider that to be about as basic as you can get. And I'll bet it would work well for some and not for others.

You're doing me a favor with your experiments. Thanks for posting the results, because I have limited space, and can't do a lot of comparing. I have had great luck and success since I went to rooting in coco. My EZ Cloner was great, but I don't like spending a whole afternoon cleaning/sterilizing it. Coco saves me so much valuable time and effort. My back hates the EZ Cloner. Sorry about the mishap, but keep up the good work. Good luck. -granger

Funny you should bring this up. To me thew Ez-Cloner is the shit when it comes to getting roots. IMHO it's not necessarily the roots but the abundance of them:

with a root structure like that you would have to have a RED thumb to kill it and as far as cleaning one I have found that a 5 gallon water jug is perfect preferably the style with the built in handle. Run it with bleach water for an hour then an hour or so with plain water rinse make sure the jets are clean fill the jug and make roots.

I have tried the dishwasher the shower the hose you name it and this was the easiest way and with my back the way it is I need easy. I haver some cuts in Ready Gro on a mat rooting and everything BUT the Chem and the Black Domina rooted fine so the Cloner had to be broke out to save the family line so yes I do feel you pain.

Be Well
Mr.Wags

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
some friends have been experimenting, and in a blind judging of every stage of growth this product held the winners

everything was fed the same nuts, just different cocoish mediums

bigger, more vigorous, just plain healthier looking

Last edited by a moderator:

dizzlekush

Hey all! Still planning on doing more experimentation with micro-propagating in coir. However there's so many things to test i dont really know where to start. I have a lot on the plate right now so it'll be a few weeks until i do more experimentation with micro-propagation. I was getting a little ahead of myself with trying to test multiple variables with micro-propagating in coir without ever finding a successful method to micro-propagate in coir to compare my results to. Im gonna go back to the old experimentation rule of 1 variable per test and a control group for every experiment.

Right now i wanna hear what you guys want me to start experimenting with. do you want me to test:

Applications of Triacontanol or Epibrassinolide to the foliage?
Applications of IAA, IBA and/or 6-BAP to the substrate (coir)?
Different cloning products ( e.g. gels, powders, alcohols)?
Different substrate soaks ( e.g. microbe teas, hormones, chlorinated water)?
Rockwool vs Coir?
Trimmed foliage vs untrimmed?

or any other ideas you have. I wanna hear from the people who are actually reading this what they want to see tested.