What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A running conversation wiith Sunpulse

A few years ago I bought a 400w 3k sunpulse bulb, I would like to say i did my research but frankly i was too ignorant to have been capable of that. In any event, I ran the bulb for a year until it burnt out, probably due to spraying the plants without taking the bulb out (exposed). Then, I got several replacements in the mail from them, delivery was fast and they sent a extra bulb. I don't know how SP bulbs compare to other ones because I haev only ran another bulb before, a 600w hps. It wa a great light btw. I dont have anything bad to say about sunpulse but if the bulb explodes in my grow room i will be back to post about it (or in jail lol). Any how, it is running bare in the room, so i have taken care to use a paper towel when putting the bulb in, as well as taking the plants out when i spray them down to avoid any oils hitting the glass. Nothing unusual. I will probably try to put in a side by side, as i am looking at the cmh thread and it seems like it would be a good second light for the ladies.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
It has been a few years.
I matched the Sunpulse 4K against GE's 4K CMH, Five harvests later and still no determination could be made, results were identical.
The nod went to Sunpulse at that time because they could be burned at any angle and used as sidelights. Different test.

Since then LEDs of any spectrum or power have reached the market and can reach higher leaf intensities as well as be installed as any angle.

Solis Tek's 10,000K HID has a 96% CRI which includes one half of one percent UVB and five percent UVA, similar to the sun. The red output has equal amounts of 680 nm and 730 nm which also matches the sun and enables the Emerson effect, tripling the photosynthetic rate of long wave red.
Red light has little energy, the charts that show high aborption rates for 660 nm rates on those graphs is the percentage of light used, the energy supplied by red is way under half of what blue provides.

730 nm red brings the process halfway but lacks energy to form the carbohydrate. 680 nm red has a bit more more energy and can take the half finished molecule and tag on the carbon to finish the carbohydrate.
Without both frequencies contributing equal energy the rate of photosynthesis is only a third for the deep reds.

The above is a simplification but was probably what the rep was referring to when he mentioned to MJPassion about red light "NOT having any energy".
Without context and not knowing the education level it is difficult to give biology and physics lessons.
The energy goes up with frequency until UVB becomes ionizing radiation and strips electrons off atoms.
The energy goes down with frequency until Far Red can no longer support photosynthesis.

I expect HID will be obsolete soon, it is so outclassed there is no reason for it's continued existence other than current pricing.

Is Sunpulse still in business? I have not checked since going to LED.