What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many watts on a 30amp dryer outlet

Dankgravy

I was at the hydro store and someone came in and asked the dude this and I was extremely surprise by his answer and wanted to see if it was correct..

He stated that 4k in lights and an "decent sized" AC could be run off a 30 amp dryer outlet no problem. I didnt think you could run anywhere near that many off of it..

He also stated that you could purchase one of the multiple light controllers with a plug that will fit right into a dryer outlet, but I looked (to see if I should trust the rest of his statement) and I didn't see that. I only saw ones that had a normal 240 plug..

So is this dude setting up some guy to burn down his house or could I trust him if I ever needed electrical advice (which I probably never will as I never plan to go over 1000W).. but it is good to know that there is someone to turn to just in case as electrical is the one thing about growing that I really don't know much about..

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats about right 4k. The one you want is the power thief. The unit plugs ihto your dryer outlet and then you can just plug your dryer into the controler. When the lights are on you can not use the dryer it knows when you are using the power. Nice unit for the money and the guy is very nice can make you anything. This unit will let you do 6K 225$

http://www.dxsoundco.com/

small%20THIEF.JPG

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
30 amps x 240 volts = 7200 watts. Derate to 80% for full-time loading gives you 5760 watts.

S

sm0k4

Haha, yes its good you didn't pipe up if you don't know the power calculation. Volts x Amps = Watts