What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco vs sunshine m ix #4 with H@G

Incognegro

thats because you were using big pots with smaller plants i bet. Even if you did transplant and use smaller pots it's still best to water 2x a day for OPTIMUM results. You can NOT over water coco watering 2-3x a day on established plants with good root structure in the APPROPRIATE sized containers. Sure you can water once a day or every other day.. but if we did a side by side i'd blow you away.

Na.. I had 3-4foot tall ladies in 3-5gal pots, on a non recovery drip system. Pump came on about 1hour after lights, and then went off about 20-30mins later...everyday.

But then I've slowly merged over to bubbling tubs with coco as my structure medium (to hold plants up in netcups).. I may go back to full coco when I get moved into the warehouse....dunno.

Oh don't get me wrong I love coco... absolutely love it and will only go back to soil to do a TLO grow, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, unless I can get one goin outdoors....

:tiphat:

C

chefro420

Question for yall's. Im rather new to growing and been having trouble with PH and soil mixes. I switched to SS #4 this grow, mixed with very little worm castings, it appears im getting locked out. Im upset because iM doing everything by the book, keep my area clean and get spotty purple plants again. looks like rust. Im using Botanicare nutrients with liquid Karma and feeding at 6.3-6.5. Just a night mare. Do you add anything to your mixes? What fertilelizers have you had sucsess with? What Ph do you feed with?

Maybe try a lower ph of around 5.8 and you should do better . I made the same mistake , when I stopped amending the SS#4

Buddler

Veteran
Maybe try a lower ph of around 5.8 and you should do better . I made the same mistake , when I stopped amending the SS#4
Hi may be i can help i always amend ss 4 with 30 % percent perlite and extra lime .I used botinicare and had problems with ph after bout 5 weeks had to flush to bring ph back over six.Check run off and ppms chances are its low and ppms high causing toxic root zone flush with mild nute s till ph is above 6 that always worked for me and when your tired of f----ing with SS go buy some coco LOL ....:dance013: Buddler

C

chefro420

Got some new pix to get up shortly. Everything is looking great! They were vegged under a 430w hortilux hps . All of them look fairly similar , with the SS#4 still slightly more bushy. All are the same height . I tossed them into flower yesterday!:jump:

D

dubdi3mond

dunno if you guys know this or not (i didnt until last week) but if you are gonna flush coco DO NOT flush with straight ph'd water, it will throw your PH off bad and you will have twisted shitty looking leaves spewing everywhere

checked my HG mix, PH was fine

where I went wrong is (this is my first time coco btw) I let the coco dry out which threw my PH off anyway, then I tried to flush with straight water to correct, threw ph off even more

maybe im a dumbass and you guys already knew this but just make sure not to let your coco dry out completely and if you do need to flush use a mild nute mix rather than just straight water

MagicChef

What's your cal/mag source?

Beta- Thanks for the reply...I dont have a cal/mag source other than what I would be getting from the Botanicare Veg and Karma. The SS #4 soil has a bit of lime but not enough to provide a good source of Calcium, right? Could that two handfuls of EWC thrown something off? The botanicare is a 3-2-4 with 1% calcium and .5% magnesium... Do I need more? I really need some help! I didnt try to jack your thread..

Incognegro

dunno if you guys know this or not (i didnt until last week) but if you are gonna flush coco DO NOT flush with straight ph'd water, it will throw your PH off bad and you will have twisted shitty looking leaves spewing everywhere

checked my HG mix, PH was fine

where I went wrong is (this is my first time coco btw) I let the coco dry out which threw my PH off anyway, then I tried to flush with straight water to correct, threw ph off even more

maybe im a dumbass and you guys already knew this but just make sure not to let your coco dry out completely and if you do need to flush use a mild nute mix rather than just straight water

I've never had trouble with ph swings with dryin out... I've almost always noticed the drastic results of flushing, but have never really minded... i flush to flush, lol, so it's fine to me...

Coco is considered by most as a hydro medium, so alot of affects show instantly...:tiphat:

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
I like this side by side experiment but to me it seems very logical to mix both of them up. I have seen great results with 70% Coco and 30% Sunshine Mix #4.

I gotta say though, i prefer soil its less problematic and like most peeps say, you don't have to water every single day.

I think the best way to go about Coco is hooking it up to a drip system and use the block Coco. Then carefully when using nutrients to hand water. I have heard a lot of problems with some nutrients causing problems with drip systems.

C

chefro420

Everyone complains about watering coco daily. I don't know about yours , but once my plants get going in SS#4 they need water almost daily or every other day too.

]A[Boss

I like this side by side experiment but to me it seems very logical to mix both of them up. I have seen great results with 70% Coco and 30% Sunshine Mix #4.

I gotta say though, i prefer soil its less problematic and like most peeps say, you don't have to water every single day.

I think the best way to go about Coco is hooking it up to a drip system and use the block Coco. Then carefully when using nutrients to hand water. I have heard a lot of problems with some nutrients causing problems with drip systems.

thats what dripclean was REALLY made for.. to keep drip lines clear, SM-90 also works for this. You can also use regular tubing and tee's to make your own watering system without drippers.

nezquick707

true, dripclean saved my ass when i was running GH in my drip system. The emitters would constantly get plugged up and i'd either have to clean or replace them.

After a few weeks you'll probley be watering the ss#4 daily just like coco, so in the end its really your preference on yield between coco and ss#4 IMO

Buddler

Veteran
HI Chefro where's those pics you talkin bout? i have some plants in promix and the coco is leaving them behind. Already had to flush the prom ix to get up the PH, Coco just keeps takin nutes and stable ph .. twic a day with mild nutes plants are loving it..:thank you: Buddler

C

chefro420

Still got a lot to learn!

Yeah , they both look fairly close. The SS#4 may be slightly branchier. Although the stems on the coco are thicker .

Chomp

That's one thing I noticed about coco. Once it gets dialed in the plants' structure gets much thicker, at least that's what happened once my drip system got figured out....

:rasta:Chomp

C

chefro420

I have been watering 1-2x a day . I have also added liquid karma 10ml a gal (every watering) , and florialicious organic base enhancer ( 1x a week) to both . ALso the coco is getting 2.5ml/gal of cal/mg

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Got ya! ANy reason why I can't water 2x a day in a larger bucket? It's impossible to over-water , right?
This one really depends on your setup and if your plants are drying out . There is certainly a chance that things are hot in your gro and drying out fast and need water everyday . Depends on lots of things. It's important to check with your hand if it's dry then of-course water. If not let it dry out before watering again. peace out Headband707:)

C

chefro420

This one really depends on your setup and if your plants are drying out . There is certainly a chance that things are hot in your gro and drying out fast and need water everyday . Depends on lots of things. It's important to check with your hand if it's dry then of-course water. If not let it dry out before watering again. peace out Headband707:)

Thanks for the advice! Temps ae 78-80 lights on and 72 lights off , humidity 45%. Been watering the shit out of them, with no ill effects. Buckets are heavy as hell atm. SO maybe letting it dry some would be best or , keep doing what I have been?

Latest posts

Latest posts