What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco vs sunshine m ix #4 with H@G

C

chefro420

Just took some pix. Hope to get them up in the morning. So I have been just following the H@G veg schedule, with a few slight variations . Using coco base + ca/mg and aquaflakes base, with additional liquid karma. SO far the SS#4 is still in the lead. The coco isn't looking to bad though either!

Buddler

Veteran
the reason you use multiple waterings and run-off is because it provides more dissolved oxygen to the root system every time you water compared to water that's been sitting still for 3 days in big, unnecessary pots. All you need is a reservoir and to keep your nutes aerated with air pump and a timer so you can have automatic waterings.. just like hyd

HI all my first post here.Have to agree with boss i used to use Susnshine grew great plants, but always have to fight ph with coco no ph probs, once i started multiple waterings the plants doubled in size.Only thing i had to figure out was the pre charge once the plants get going its insane how they grow prob better then hydro.i wil use sunshine again if i have too but coco is better as far as no flushing ph stable and growth .downside more watering twice a day however drip system with timer good to go for 3 4 days . :thank you: Buddler

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
I found out the hard way that there is cheap coco. I personally hate coco but others love it so I would say go with what works well for you. I get the fact that soil is very very heavy and hard to lug around .. I love my plants in pro mix 4 ..Peace out Headband707

]A[Boss

cool pics thanks for sharing

see with coco you should keep the plant in 2-3 gallon for that size and just water 2x daily while keeping the soil plant in 4-5 gal. Then transplant to 5 gal coco 1-2 weeks before flower.

This is why the coco isn't winning.

regardless, once in flowering, coco will blow it away once that pot is filled with roots, even if you only water once a day in flower.

C

chefro420

. Then transplant to 5 gal coco 1-2 weeks before flower.
This is why the coco isn't winning.

That's basically what I did. Smaller to larger pots. They were in smaller pots until recently . WHen I transplanted they were tons of roots. ALso there have been roots showing in the bottom of the coco buckets for a while now . I plan on flowering next week.

What benefit does smaller pots of coco have?

]A[Boss

That's basically what I did. Smaller to larger pots. They were in smaller pots until recently . WHen I transplanted they were tons of roots. ALso there have been roots showing in the bottom of the coco buckets for a while now . I plan on flowering next week.

What benefit does smaller pots of coco have?

there was a side by side on using smaller pots with coco vs larger pots in coco. smaller pots won. They get more oxygen to rootmass since you water 2x daily instead of once a day or every other day

either way, coco will win in flower vs soil :)

]A[Boss

you said your last transplant was from 1 gallon if im not mistaken on page 3 or 4.

If this is the case, you could of put the coco plant in 2-3 gallon before going into 5 gal

coco needs less rootspace in general compared to soil. Because you can treat coco like hydro once pots are filled with roots. You can't do this with soil. Thus, soil grows get less dissolved oxygen to the roots.

C

chefro420

Got ya! ANy reason why I can't water 2x a day in a larger bucket? It's impossible to over-water , right?

]A[Boss

Got ya! ANy reason why I can't water 2x a day in a larger bucket? It's impossible to over-water , right?

you can now that you have a good solid rootball :) I just figured you were going to water them once a day. It still may be best to water once a day since you recently transplanted from 1-2 gallons. In about 10+ days you should be able to water them more and those babies will explode!

if your temps are too cool and you have weaker light then I would avoid watering more than once a day in freshly transplanted 5 gal coming from 1-2 gallon. You may not be able to over-water them at this point but it's possible to slow growth. In about 10-14 days you should be good to water twice a day if environment is good and using 400/600+ watts.

:ying:

Chomp

great idea chefro420...

Those coco plants seem to have a sturdier structure to them...They are going to blow the SS#4 away in bloom I bet....

Good Luck!

:joint: Chomp

VagPuncher

Balls Deep!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Coco = Water daily? Lol. It loses right thur.

Soil rules. Water on Monday come back on Thursday.

]A[Boss

simple res and pump visit garden once a week

and coco is capable of 2 pound plants in 5 gallon indoors.. just need lot of light and a solid 7-8 weeks veg under real MH light.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Coco with amendments is a great thing. Sunshine is a bit more forgiving, being able to store more nutrients and buffer against over-feeding and pH imbalance, thanks to the lime.

MagicChef

Question for yall's. Im rather new to growing and been having trouble with PH and soil mixes. I switched to SS #4 this grow, mixed with very little worm castings, it appears im getting locked out. Im upset because iM doing everything by the book, keep my area clean and get spotty purple plants again. looks like rust. Im using Botanicare nutrients with liquid Karma and feeding at 6.3-6.5. Just a night mare. Do you add anything to your mixes? What fertilelizers have you had sucsess with? What Ph do you feed with?