What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco vs sunshine m ix #4 with H@G

Would like to have seen picks of those baby's .... love trenches & beds ,
cause OD they're the only way to fly ! :wave:

Anyone want to see how good veggies & strawberrys taste grown organically,
all ya have to do is take coco/sunshine mix or whatever & mix in up to 1/2
EWCastings & just let nature do the rest . But extravagantly expensive to buy
unless you have a tilled , developed garden with worms naturally occurring .

sure no drammers, heres a few beds ine Home Garden....
FT... :wave:

Attachments

• home%20patch.JPG
    home%20patch.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 29

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Just as thought fatherT...perfect plants in the rich beds

u were tryin' to keep them "fence high" or lil under

but everything looking green even the ivy ! ;)

5412sour_savors_in_the_winter_garden.JPG

Wingnutt

Do yourself a favor and go buy a bottle of Drip Clean from H&G. Best product I have ever used, hands down. You will never have a problem with salt buildup again. You only use .4ml/gal so the bottle will last you forever.

I have used SSM#4 and Coco and I have found my pH to be way more stable with Coco. Ever since switching to coco and using drip clean, flushing my plants is a thing of the past. I do aim for maybe 10% runoff, but that is it. You can get away with no runoff with Drip Clean.

When I used SSM I had to flush my plants every 2 weeks to get the pH and PPM back in line, and that was with mild strength watering. Now it seems as if I can't feed my girls enough and I never even bother checking the runoff pH or PPM. Drip Clean takes care of all of that.

Those saying you have to have 30% runoff with coco aren't using Drip Clean and they are wasting a lot of money. My only flush is 5 days from harvest and I have the strongest and smoothest smoke of anyone I know. I've found that flushing my plants mid grow now actually does more harm than good.

Also, I would use at most half of what the feed chart recommends. I use between 4-6ml/gal of H&G Coco A&B through flowering.

Good luck with the project.

]A[Boss

as with any growing, you should start in smaller pots and transplant accordingly

in coco it's best to use around 1.2 ec.. pH 5.7ish
water two times a day.. but if using big pots only once a day but that will hinder growth if your plants are small and in big pots.

watering once a day or every 2-3 days isn't optimal in coco. 2-3x daily is gravy.

if your coco came in brick form then it isn't flushed. you have to flush it 3x the volume of your container with 5.7ish pH then pre-charge with cal/mag and 1/4 - full strength nutes depending on size of plants... add some rhiztonic also if anything else.

BRNEYDBVR

if your coco came in brick form then it isn't flushed.

I've hydrated dozens of 5kg blocks of botanicare coco and never flushed any of them....they were good to go, straight away.

On some of the cheaper brands of coco, this may be true....
I've heard of folks using lesser quality coco and having high salt concentrations in it.

Last edited:
C

chefro420

as with any growing, you should start in smaller pots and transplant accordingly

in coco it's best to use around 1.2 ec.. pH 5.7ish
water two times a day.. but if using big pots only once a day but that will hinder growth if your plants are small and in big pots.

watering once a day or every 2-3 days isn't optimal in coco. 2-3x daily is gravy.

if your coco came in brick form then it isn't flushed. you have to flush it 3x the volume of your container with 5.7ish pH then pre-charge with cal/mag and 1/4 - full strength nutes depending on size of plants... add some rhiztonic also if anything else.

I do start in smaller pots , this is the 3rd or 4th transplant . They were previously in 1 gallon pots , and had lots of root growth when I transplanted. Thanks for the advice on watering! I think I will stick to the pre-washed and aged mix instead of blocks. Are the block a lot cheaper?

BRNEYDBVR

I pay $16 or so, per 5kg block.

I can get it cheaper online though, about $12.50.... but by the time I pay shipping, it's not worth it.

How much coco is in the loose bags? What do they cost?

Edit: Nevermind, 1.5 cubic ft per bag.... Seems that the blocks are the better value, more coco for less money.

C

chefro420

I pay $16 or so, per 5kg block.

I can get it cheaper online though, about $12.50.... but by the time I pay shipping, it's not worth it.

How much coco is in the loose bags? What do they cost?

Edit: Nevermind, 1.5 cubic ft per bag.... Seems that the blocks are the better value, more coco for less money.

Is the coco your using the same , just compressed?

]A[Boss

You must be using some very coarse coco... even when I was growing pure coco in pots, I was only watering 1 a day, if not every other day.

thats because you were using big pots with smaller plants i bet. Even if you did transplant and use smaller pots it's still best to water 2x a day for OPTIMUM results. You can NOT over water coco watering 2-3x a day on established plants with good root structure in the APPROPRIATE sized containers. Sure you can water once a day or every other day.. but if we did a side by side i'd blow you away.

Im talking 1+ pound trees in 3 - 5 gallons. No need for huge pots like soil, just water more for OPTIMUM RESULTS. If i woulda used the same pot from clone to finish watering 1 time daily or every other day I wouldn't get the optimum yield that coco can provide IF DONE RIGHT.

If you don't do it right then you might as well stick to soil.

]A[Boss

the blocks are best if you need to have your coco shipped. Much more costly shipping loose bags of coco.

watering with 15%+ runoff is also wise. 10,15,20,25,30% whatever whatever just make sure you get some run-off trust me, drip clean or not. If using around 1.2-1.4 ec you really don't need more than 10-15% run-off.

feed every single watering on established plants. NO need to flush once a week. If you ever run into problems, flush your plants with 1/4 nute strength 3x the amount of volume your container will hold. then, after a few days, bump it back up to half strength for a few days.. then back to full strength after a few days.

Do not let coco dry out because IT WILL fuck with your pH and in return will FUCK your plants. keep things consistent if you want BEST results in coco.

the blocks are best if you need to have your coco shipped. Much more costly shipping loose bags of coco.

watering with 15%+ runoff is also wise. 10,15,20,25,30% whatever whatever just make sure you get some run-off trust me, drip clean or not. If using around 1.2-1.4 ec you really don't need more than 10-15% run-off.

feed every single watering on established plants. NO need to flush once a week. If you ever run into problems, flush your plants with 1/4 nute strength 3x the amount of volume your container will hold. then, after a few days, bump it back up to half strength for a few days.. then back to full strength after a few days.

Do not let coco dry out because IT WILL fuck with your pH and in return will FUCK your plants. keep things consistent if you want BEST results in coco.
This person is giving sound advice. Take it:2cents:

Harinama

runoff with coco is generally not necessary IF you use dripclean. I only run off 1x during veg(during last transplant) and 1x during bloom. I notice zero salt buildup and have reused my coco at least 5x now with no ill effects. Before dripclean i had quite a few issues. Dripclean is incredible.

Also, who ever said you needed to water everyday? I water thoroughly about 2-3x/wk. If the plants are drying out everyday, time for bigger pots i'd say.

I was a soil farmer until a year ago. I'll never go back, coco is rockin!

]A[Boss

the reason you use multiple waterings and run-off is because it provides more dissolved oxygen to the root system every time you water compared to water that's been sitting still for 3 days in big, unnecessary pots. All you need is a reservoir and to keep your nutes aerated with air pump and a timer so you can have automatic waterings.. just like hydro.

you can not do this with big pots unless you have HUGE root system.

and you re-use your coco 5x....... that's funny