What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bud Candy VS sugar (Molasses, Raw Cane Juice & Malt extract)

Lack

yes you can use molasses all the way through flush. Tried BC and didn't like how it made my buds taste, so I switched to using GH Floralicious Plus and adding humic acid's. Made a big difference in taste. The bud candy is great and if it wasn't for the unnatural sweetness I would still be using it. I find Floralicious really makes a nice and greasy plant though. So really I cant complain about the stuff. I use diamond nectar for my humic and between the two my harvests taste great and look great. Shhh, should you ever decide you want to do another experiment, give floralicious a shot, I was really impressed with the overall health and vigor of my plants. I too did a controlled grow and was stoked at the results I got. Like I said though BC is good, but the flavor wasn't for me. I'm used to my strains and that was just a wacky flavor it added.

dman16

sweet raw did the same thing to my plants…gave em a real generic sweet smell. wont be using it in flower again, maybe some in veg but thats all. back to blackstrap for me

toohighmf

Veteran
yes you can use molasses all the way through flush. Tried BC and didn't like how it made my buds taste, so I switched to using GH Floralicious Plus and adding humic acid's. Made a big difference in taste. The bud candy is great and if it wasn't for the unnatural sweetness I would still be using it. I find Floralicious really makes a nice and greasy plant though. So really I cant complain about the stuff. I use diamond nectar for my humic and between the two my harvests taste great and look great. Shhh, should you ever decide you want to do another experiment, give floralicious a shot, I was really impressed with the overall health and vigor of my plants. I too did a controlled grow and was stoked at the results I got. Like I said though BC is good, but the flavor wasn't for me. I'm used to my strains and that was just a wacky flavor it added.

I too believe in humics & black strapp. Floralicious+ has diamond nectar in it, but will say there is no way to OD with the stuff. I used have a warehouse full of ferts, and used humic & fulvic liters for PH down in 3 70 gallon reses. It was the ultimate waste of high priced goodies. But a liter of each put out these buds that had what looked like someone dropped honey on various areas on everything. Looked like exploded trichromes... The only thing we could attribute it to was the excessive use of humics. Now I always use a ton of it.

Lack

I too believe in humics & black strapp. Floralicious+ has diamond nectar in it, but will say there is no way to OD with the stuff. I used have a warehouse full of ferts, and used humic & fulvic liters for PH down in 3 70 gallon reses. It was the ultimate waste of high priced goodies. But a liter of each put out these buds that had what looked like someone dropped honey on various areas on everything. Looked like exploded trichromes... The only thing we could attribute it to was the excessive use of humics. Now I always use a ton of it.

Hey there toohigh, yeah no doubt brotha, best thing to happen to my hydro growing adventures was discovering humics. A wise dude once told me the best hydro he ever smoked was grown in an abundant amount of humics. So I decided to give it a shot and have been using it ever since. I also use Fulpower, it's more potent than Diamond nectar. I just love the stuff! My hydro harvests taste so good, I remember back when I first started the taste wasn't there, I'm a firm believer in humics, molasses and floralicious now days... :dance013: Totally agree about the trich activity, and greasiness aswell, got some OGK's goin that are coated!

Tokesome

Hey up mate, I`ve been away for hols and a couple of festi`s, but my plants are growing away, week 2 of 12/12 now.

I`m thinking of adding a bloom stim to try along with canna nutes in coco, I notice you`ve used B`cuzz bloom stim with Canna nutes- how do you rate the combo? I cant afford the Canna bloom stim for the quantities I need.

Do you have a preference showing between B`cuzz bloom stim and Bud Candy? Sorry, I know this isn`t the comparison you`re running here mate, but maybe you have some thoughts on this anyhow.

Cheers for now, Toke ;-)

B

bonecarver_OG

good thread and great work.

i swear by panela as beeing a VERY good aditive in any flowering regime. the good thing is its so cheap AND it can be combined with various boosters for optimizing the results. using a comercial booster with mineral aditions like for example atamis bloombastic 1-20-21 and canna PK13-14 - when combined with also panela the results get better than any product alone.

only rule of mind i have for panela is, i use it very little during the hotter months, or atleast make sure the dosage is lower. this is to avoid root rot issues, that can rapidly develop when mixing sugars and hot humid conditions.

it is an intereting fact the MP group yeilded more than using an expensive comercial product...

anyway - great thread!

B

bonecarver_OG

The trial between m&p/ BC & the control has thrown up some results finally :D

My findings conclude that Bud Candy has the most frosty buds, that finished a few days before the rest. The weight was best on the m&p tray, but this was somewhat marginal (17g's- 20g's) and could be down to other factors like oscillating fan placement, position under light etc. The control group had the largest yielding plant but that was to be expected due to the numbers in that group compared to the m&p and bc groups.

please tell the total yeild and also i would like to know the % of the weigth that those 17-20g represent.

this is because on 100g, a 20 g increase is a lot, while if its 400g, then 20g is not that much of a difference.

but the % is what is interesting :D

The other thing was the BC buds were a shade lighter, very slightly although noticeable all the same, over the control and m&p groups. The buds were a little less dense than the m&p group also.

Smoking wise the bud candy group budz are more sweet and tasted better quicker than any other group, I mean they were tasting spot on 2 days before the m&p and about 3-4 before the control group. Thing is the m&p group buds smoke the strongest! They don't have the overly sweet taste from like the BC buds they're more raw cheese...

so the MP group also yielded STRONGER nugs? that is awesome.

So the bud candy group has the sweetest, best looking pot albeit with a slight loss in density over the m&p although firmer than the control group budz.

The m&p group has the densest nugs, still very frosty and exhibits a the cheese bouquet without sweet undertones the BC bud carries.

to me it is sounding like the MP is superior to budcandy, since potency and yield definetly are the most important factors of any smoke i want at least.

anyway :D

great you took the time to do this comparison!
peace

HobbyGrower

Outstanding thread and fantastic work Shhh. Using bud candy, 3 weeks into flower. I was worried all the weed would taste the same but from this information it doesn't seem that way. The guy at my local hydro store said the same thing. It just brings out the flavors, not replace them. Thanks again.

M

MacGyver420

roughly how much panela do you add per gallon roughly and how do you mix it up does it just dissolve?

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
I can't really remember to be honest MacGyver420 one of the 'perks' of 'puffin da erb', I guess, lol :joint: but I think what I did was to add some panela to 1L of warm water (which it dissolves quickly in once stirred a bit), till it hit the same EC on my truncheon as 1 teaspoon of molasses measured in 1L of water. This water was then mixed into the main rez before feeding. Ratio of molasses I used was 1 teaspoon per 4L water so this should help you to work it out. Don't leave it sitting once mixed though as it goes stale in a few days like molasses, n that shit stinks!

B

bonecarver_OG

panela - i use about a half thumb sized chunk per 2 gallons.

to dissolve the panela i boil it in a cup of water in the microwave oven.

agree on the fermenting speed of panela solutions. best is to use it up rigth away.

Greenheart

Veteran
I tried a lil harder to get clear close up's of trichs on the cola's to show the amber's and average amount of trichs on each groups plants, not sure it was a total success but a lot better than earlier attempts!

Control>BC>M&P

picture.php

M&P close

picture.php

BC close

picture.php

Control close

picture.php

The trial between m&p/ BC & the control has thrown up some results finally :D

My findings conclude that Bud Candy has the most frosty buds, that finished a few days before the rest. The weight was best on the m&p tray, but this was somewhat marginal (17g's- 20g's) and could be down to other factors like oscillating fan placement, position under light etc. The control group had the largest yielding plant but that was to be expected due to the numbers in that group compared to the m&p and bc groups.

The other thing was the BC buds were a shade lighter, very slightly although noticeable all the same, over the control and m&p groups. The buds were a little less dense than the m&p group also.

Smoking wise the bud candy group budz are more sweet and tasted better quicker than any other group, I mean they were tasting spot on 2 days before the m&p and about 3-4 before the control group. Thing is the m&p group buds smoke the strongest! They don't have the overly sweet taste from like the BC buds they're more raw cheese...

So the bud candy group has the sweetest, best looking pot albeit with a slight loss in density over the m&p although firmer than the control group budz.

The m&p group has the densest nugs, still very frosty and exhibits a the cheese bouquet without sweet undertones the BC bud carries.

Control budz are lovely tbh, nice taste, smell and appearance.... If I didn't have the other 2 groups to compare against I would really pleased with how they came out. Plan on using this nutrient schedule again with the addition of the m&p or bc depending which I end up liking most... Still undecided as each product has had a slight effect on taste & appearance more than anything else IMO. Although it's kinda hard to say one is preferable
over the other really...

My misses still like the full on cheesey'ness from the m&p buds, while I am digging both groups and their results.

Not the best of conclusions, but my observations never the less... Hope they are of some use to someone out there.... I think the bottom line here is CARBS WORK! :joint:
Nice write-up. All your hard work and documentation are much appreciated by myself. I recently was slacking on my blackstrap use and have noticed a decreased amount of scissor hash shavings come trim time. You can believe I have once again started including it in the feeding at least weekly. Time to look in to a few other sugar alternatives it seems.

:thank you: once more from -GH-

*I know this may seem nitpicky but were they all clones from the same mum?

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Cheers mate... good observation on the scissor hash.

the clones were from a couple of moms that were taken from off another clone lol. they were all very uniform though height and health wise.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Try some horticultural molasses next time. It has some sulphur in it. Makes the flavors/smell go CRAZY.

Huge difference between my sulphured molasses and unsulphured molasses results.

Side effect is harshness if you overdo it.

So, use the sulphured molasses as a supplement until 2 weeks before harvest then cut it out and use only unsulphured molasses. Adjust for strain.

Shhh, Did you use any beneficial fungi/bacteria?

I thought it was weird that no one asked; unless i missed it. Anyways, i'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help when I say... Carbohydrate and amino acid products are sold to millions of people but are intended for one purpose - to feed and nourish the rhizoshpere. The bacteria and Fungi use this stuff, not the plant. The plants get only a small amount of what we "think" they are getting. The Casparian strip and endodermis inside the roots won't allow complex carbs and amino acids into the plant. Most of these expensive products are useless if you don't have the beneficial fungi/bacteria in your soil to turn these "products", like AN's Bud Candy, into ionic compounds that the plant can readily use.

Thanks for the fast reply. I wasn't sure about it so I went off on a tangent. I use bud candy and Great White fungi powder and have explosive root growth. With what I learned reading your thread and AN's recent price hike I reduced the amount I feed to half strength. This will make the bottle last way longer. I always thought it made a substantial difference overall. However your thread made me rethink everything. Thx for showing me the world isn't flat.

Latest posts

Latest posts